What If It All Went Nu?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Bry_Sinclair, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

What if, Gods forbid, they decided to redo the entire Prime Universe with the Alternate One created by Nu-Trek? How do you think each series would differ?

What would Nu-Picard be like commanding the 1613m Enterprise-D (going by the stupidly upgraded scaling of the Nu-Enterprise)? Who would still be on his crew? Who would be different?

Or on DS9? Or Voyager?

ENT is exempt as the timeline changes occured well after 2155.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

When the size of the pretend spaceship upsets you, you're officially watching it wrong.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

They'd all be the same. The universe would see to that. The differences are when Sisko goes to get Kirk's autograph it will be Pine rather than Shatner.

[​IMG]

And the Scotty in "Relics" will have an accurate Scots accent.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  4. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

At first I thought the thread title was "What If It All Went Nude?" :alienblush:

5. Bry_Sinclair

It doesn't upset me. I just don't see how the destruction of one ship led to the Constitution-Class more than doubling in size.

If someone could supply a logical arguement for it I could accept that, but I just don't get it.

Surely I can't be alone in that respect? :confused:

6. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    The logical argument is that its all make-believe and made up. It happens because the writer(s) wanted it to.

Simple, isn't it?

7. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I don't care about that but there are a lot of Trek Tech afficionados who do, I'm sure. My take on it is that if you can create artificial gravitation and beat the laws of physics by going way, way faster than light, you can also build big-ass starships. ;)

I would like to see nu-TNG, actually, although I have my doubts whoever replaced Patrick Stewart would be up to the task. His natural gravitas does a lot for me to anchor the show which could be kind of boring and silly at times.

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Honestly, I wouldn't know they had changed the size of the ship if people hadn't pointed it out on-line. I don't recall any dialogue in the movie (or in the original TV episodes, for that matter) regarding the actual dimensions of the ship. Onscreen, the Enterprise looks like a big shiny object in space, the same as it always has.

The size of the ship wasn't important to the plot. It's just a bit of technical trivia that most viewers aren't even going to be aware of.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Starfleet probably got a fair amount of intel on the Narada and then used it to upgrade their own technology.

10. Bry_Sinclair

Star Trek is make-believe?

Oh by the Vulcan Gods of Death and War, say it isn't so!!!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

11. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Given this post and the way your tone strikes me in your first one, I have to say it kind of seems like you don't actually want people to answer the questions you're posing.

12. Genesis

Genesis Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Star Trek is real, and I'll shoot anyone who disagrees with my phaser! (Luckily it's just a plastic model that lights up and makes noise, so the damage will probably be minimal :D )

Seriously, though, the idea of Nu-TNG is going to be giving me nightmares for weeks. Someone else playing Picard? Someone else playing Data?! Heresy.

13. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd be curious to see how they'd alter the design of DS9.

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, since the USS Kelvin was huge too, and it's now part of Prime-Trek's history, it's more a case of what didn't happen to shrink Starfleet's top of the line ships to make them smaller.

Or perhaps the Enterprise from TOS simply wasn't the largest Starfleet had to offer? A 2260's equivalent to a Voyager rather than an Enterprise-D.

15. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

I would love to see some Robau Delta Quadrant adventures.

16. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's different... it just is. There is no other in verse explanation unless you want to start thinking Abrams is a Q. :p

17. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I'm actually thinking that there won't be a DS9 or a VOY in this new timeline. Sure, some of the various elements will still be there (such as the Cardassians and the Borg), but I'm inclined to believe that the two timelines sharply diverged from one another after Star Trek XI. Wolf 359 may not happen (or the battle will take place somewhere else at a different point in time); Sisko may never be assigned to DS9 and discover the Bajoran wormhole; and Janeway may command a ship other than the Voyager and won't be stranded in the Delta Quadrant. In think TOS was the "shatterpoint" in this new timeline and everything afterward is a blank slate. Even TNG could be very different.

In the prime universe, though, everything happened in TNG, DS9, and VOY as we saw it.

18. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We'll see a NuKirk vs Borg movie before we see TNG NuTrek.

19. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

then there would be spaceships and teleporter beams and handheld death rays and handsome/sexy people in flattering colorful outfits and aesop-laden aliens and stuff

20. dstyer

dstyer Commander Red Shirt

One thing to think about is that the NuTrek universe could very possibly find itself "bound" to the prime universe much like the Mirror universe did. There was really no logical reason for "our" Terrans to be at DS9, but they were. Perhaps the transition of the prime Spock to the Nu universe connected them so while there could be significant differences in the timelines, there could also be significant similarities...