Time and Again

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by hux, Dec 18, 2014.

1. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So it's basically a planet where people wear bright fruity, rainbow coloured clothing that has presumably been vomited on them by a giant space alien with extremely poor fashion taste....oh and they also wear bizarre bouffant wigs of an Aryan blonde style for no discernible reason (presumably to emphasise their supremacy) We can only hope that the people of Kalto province have a..."less is more".. attitude to colour co-ordination (and that the costume department was fired)

It's also the episode where the writers say...."look everybody, Kes has brain type sensing abilities....we're not quite sure what they are yet but sensing stuff is definitely one of them....yeah, look, she's sensing stuff right now"

A nice enough idea for an episode (the premise is quite engaging and it's a nice little time loop even though it employs the reset button that so many people seem to dislike) but it's executed so badly....everything just looks utterly awful....so cheap and tacky as though no one had any enthusiasm for the show whatsoever...like they just couldn't be bothered at all

And now for some fun. There's a bit in this episode where Kes is sensing things and Neelix says....

NEELIX: Telepathy is a message, words, a voice. What you're describing, why, its almost like the visions of Drakian forest dwellers.
    KES: Who?
    NEELIX: A tribe with para-normal abilities. They can walk into an empty room.....(at which point Kes interrupts him)

So what do we think Neelix was about to say?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  2. Kobayshi Maru

Kobayshi Maru Commodore Commodore

"...into an empty room and tell you who was there the day before and what they were wearing..."

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

The usual irrelevant nonsense, while inflating his importance in the events described.

4. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

In this case, I have to quote what I wrote in my review at the Kes Website:

This is a good one. I have always had problems with time jumping episodes and those alternate universes but this one is excellent. Some interesting twists and turns and a surprising end. Paris and The Doctor have some funny comments and the interaction between Paris and Janeway on the planet is good. A highly watchable episode.

I'll give this episode 5 points out of 5. One of my top 10 Voyager favorites. :bolian:

5. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I like the episode. I give it a B. The costumes are bad but not bad enough to be a problem for me.

I also like what they established about Kes, and I wish they did more with it after Cold Fire besides just energying her as an excuse to write her off.

It was a bit weird to have two causality loops in the first three episodes.

6. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've always had a soft spot for this episode. Yeah it's a reset button, but I liked that culture Janeway and Paris was in and paradox episodes are always fun.

7. Melakon

I liked the kid. Mulgrew's reaction almost looks authentic when he screams on seeing them.

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

This also happened in "The Apple". Coincidence? I think not.

9. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Also Paris is more interesting in this episode than he is for the majority of the series. "We are aliens who eat children". Most of the series he's just an angry holo-fanboy.

10. teacake

He is hot.

Really, it's his hottest ep.

Shout out to The Chute for slashiness, but since it ended there meh.

11. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I found The Chute to be utterly boring. It was all I could do to not skip it and move on.

12. teacake

Let me help you enjoy it.

The Boys are prisoners (yay!!) and they have to help each other all battered and delusional and lost and they have to be close. Very close. Very very close. For their physical and emotional survival.

Better?

It's really just The Kiss of the Spider Woman, only in Star Trek. Which means less grit, and less hot, but still. We take what we can get.

13. Janeway’s Girl

Yeah... I'm not on the Tom/Harry ship. Though I give Harry credit for never giving up on getting them out of there, even as Tom lost his mind.

14. teacake

I am on all ships. I am the ship slut.

15. Janeway’s Girl

Except J/C, right?

16. teacake

No, she can have a dalliance.

17. teacake

These are the good things about Chak:

Nice face, solid and pleasant body, looks just as good during the fatter years, very kind and considerate, all round decent person, warm, you can imagine burying your head in his chest, sort of sexy in a cardigan kind of way.

These are the bad things about Chak:

The angry warrior speech. Seriously, would you EVER have sex with a man who told you a parable about his feelings for you? That is scary passive aggressive. It's gross. It's weird. It's super unsexy.

Oh Chak, why did you do it.

18. Melakon

Janeway makes an unannounced inspection of Neelix's freighter Baxial in the shuttlebay, finding 10 kilograms of coffee beans in a storage cannister. After persuading him to use them in her favorite Irish Coffee recipe, they have a dalliance.

19. teacake

That is hot.

20. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know why but I busted a gut when you said, "fatter years." He seemed to blow up over hiatus. Why did they all gain after seven showed up I can only speculate.

I see a new T-shirt or hoodie at a Star Trek Convention. "I'm a ship Slut."