Thor 2 -Movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics till release 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aldo, May 6, 2012.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

So are those big battles at the end supposed to be taking place on Asgard, or somewhere on Earth? Because if it's Asgard I really like the grittier, more real world look of it all (even if the world does suddenly look much less fanciful than how it looked in the first movie).

I wasn't really a fan of how overly-CG Asgard was in the first movie.

2. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I was thinking along similar lines, but then I reminded myself that technically this is just a teaser trailer.

3. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

That's true and I thought the same after I posted. Although the teaser trailer didn't "wow" me, Thor 2 is still one of my most anticipated movies this year along with Star Trek, Pacific Rim and MoS. Looking forward to the next trailer. It's gonna be a great year for awesome movies.

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I think making a comparison that it looks akin to a SyFy movie of the week is stretching a bit. Even if you realize or rationalize that the teaser aspect is in play the comparison doesn't work. SyFy movies of the week are Sharktopus and such silly and bad f/x that to make that statement is just not genuine.

Let's recall how unimpressive the MOS teaser was in comparison to this. As far as teasers go this trailer delivers vs that. Let's see how the last and final TDW trailer looks cause your comparing this teaser to MOS 3rd and final 3min long one. Not really fair.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

This actually looks like it might not be lame. Surprise.

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Well, we only saw a small portion of the city of Asgard in the first movie. There are scenes set there in the first movie where you can see the mountains and such in the distance.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  7. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Color me shocked on two counts:
    1) That Josh Dallas was in the original Thor
    2) They recast his role - Fandral - with Zachary Levi

With regards to the film itself, I just saw the trailer and it looks freaking awesome. Thor was my second-favorite of the 'Phase 1' films overall and my favorite of the 'Phase 1' solo films, and, based on the trailer, it looks like they've outdone themselves with the sequel.

8. Turtletrekker

Hopefully, they'll do more with the Warriors Three this time. In the last movie all of the good W3 stuff, the stuff that show their distinct personalities, wound up on the cutting room floor. And Hogun needs to stop with the smiling.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  9. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

My favorite line was "Do not mistake my appetite for apathy."

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Great teaser trailer. Sure it might not have shown a lot of details, but it definitely got my excited, which all a teaser trailer needs to do. I was hoping to see more Malekith, but hopefully they'll do like they did with MoS and STID and show more of him in one of the next trailers.
    I think lot more of this one will be taking place in Asgard, so I'm pretty sure we'll probably be seeing a lot more of that world and it's inhabitants.

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

What's funny about that is Zachary Levi had originally been cast to play Fandral in the first film, but had to drop out because of his commitment to Chuck, so Dallas replaced him. Now Dallas had to drop out because of his commitment to Once Upon a Time, so Levi replaced him. :lol:

12. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I was aware of the symmetry; I was just shocked that, as an OUaT fan and someone who loved the first movie, I didn't know Dallas had played Fandral. :)

13. Turtletrekker

14. Captain Craig

People at the movie boards I visit are just so stunned at how IM3 performed they admit they are unclear just how to predict Thor Dark World now.

Will the "Avengers Effect", as it's been dubbed there, give as strong a boost to Thor? Or come November will enough time have passed from TA that the effect isn't in play?

Coming off IM3's strong numbers some are starting to think TDW might be looking at $250m+, that if it's as good as just the teaser looked $300m domestic might be in play.

Crazy talk? And if it does how much more does Warners kick itself for having no WW film, cause you know the concepts are similar enough.

15. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

To be fair, Iron Man has always been a stronger franchise.

16. Turtletrekker

Also, I saw Avengers *ahem* several times in the theater. I'll maybe see IM3 once more. I can't see Thor being much different for me.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It will certainly be interesting to see. I've been wondering if there is a chance that the more fantasy type approach they seem to taking this time might scare off the people who were into the sci-fi aspects of the other movies.

18. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

The November release date adds an interesting wrinkle to the box office prospects of Thor: The Dark World. I think it'll make more than the first movie, but $300 million domestic is likely out of reach. Only two November releases - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and Skyfall - have made over $300 million domestic to date. This year will probably see a third film join that club, but I think it'll be The Hunger Games: Catching Fire rather than Thor: TDW. My guess is that Thor: TDW will go over $200 million, but not over $250 million.

19. Captain Craig

On the movie board that is the ceiling I placed on it as well Vulcan, about $250m.
    That sounds both wildly optimistic and somehow reasonable should it perform with the greatness I'd like, for a Nov release.

20. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Damn, but I actually loved Sharktopus. I totally take your point though.