Space Quest Games

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by The Overlord, Oct 19, 2012.

1. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

2. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes. I wanted in on the Kickstarter, but didn't have the liquid assets at the time. But I *will* be getting that game, for certain. Did you hear/notice that the voice of GlaDOS from Portal is involved? I suspect a Portal parody somewhere in the game.... :)

3. pcj

pcj Ensign Newbie

If you didn't make the Kickstarter, you can still pledge via PayPal at http://guysfromandromeda.com

Definitely excited about seeing this happen.

4. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Yes. :D

5. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Okay, what you say are the best and worst game of the series?

6. Roger Wilco

I'd say my favourite is the third one, but I have very fond memories of the first and second also. I've probably played the first one the most, I still play it again occasionally, takes me about an hour to play through. ;)
    I never got the fourth one to run well, so I don't know about that. Other people say that was the best one. The fifth was awesome too, and it's amusing how they switched from mocking Star Wars to Star Trek, but it was just very different from the first four, same as the sixth.

Overall, I'd say definitely the third, with the Terminator and everything.

7. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree with the third being the best. It had nice EGA graphics, and was the last one with the text interface. The full on Star Trek mode of part 5 was fantastic as well. I liked 4 but I didn't love the graphics which they seemed to try to go a little too digital with. If I recall it had voices and stuff but then 5 was off the CD-ROM and back into 3.5" disk mode. Seemed weird.

I loved all of them except for maybe 6 which I didn't get running well on release and didn't hold my interest when I tried it some years later. Maybe i'll give it another shot.

Also Roger Wilco, you should go back to your Roger Wilco av and ditch the pony crap ;)

8. Roger Wilco

Yeah, I'm not really that into the Ponies anymore anyway. ;)

9. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Can oyu even get the classic games anymore and play them on modern machines? I hear they are great but kind of missed the, due to being to young to appreciate them when they came out (also lack of a computer back then).

10. Yoda

Getting DOS stuff to work directly on modern Windows is pretty hit or miss. Especially getting sound to work.

But you can just go download DOSBox, which has pretty good compatibility. For LucasArts adventure games you can use ScummVM

11. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

12. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Alternatively, you can get the official Space Quest Collection. Just like what you can get at GoG, it gives you all six games for $20, and is playable on modern computers right out of the box. However the original Space Quest in the Collection is a graphical remake, made using VGA graphics so it better matches the later games visually. So it depends whether you want the original game in its original form (go to Good Old Games) or with better graphics (Space Quest Collection).

You can still find physical copies of the Space Quest Collection on sites like Amazon. Steam also offers it for download.

13. Yoda

I've heard good things about GoG over the likes of Steam for old games. A lot of times the Steam stuff apparently isn't as well configured. I do prefer just grabbing them off of abandonware sites and setting up DosBox or whatever myself, don't have any interest in paying for games that I've already bought.

14. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Any space quest fan will appreciate this little animation. Found it a few nights ago while browsing and it's brilliant. The two guys from Andromeda rescue Roger from Activision :D

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/605175

15. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

Timelord - Go buy yourself a Tandy 1000 off eBay and you'll be set. ;-)

BTW, was Space Quest the game where the space station looked like someone breastfeeding, or do I have my games mixed up?

16. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I've never heard of that one... :lol: The Space Quest games have always been designed with gags, either in the backgrounds or more prominently as part of the stories and anything resembling that would have been designed deliberately. Maybe you're thinking of Leisure Suit Larry?

17. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think I only played 6. With the monochrome boys (heavy SW4 influences) and the space station with the software store that had Chuck Eggerts Yolk flight simulator and TARARABOOMGA graphics.

18. pcj

pcj Ensign Newbie

That was SQ4. ;)

19. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Like I said, i don't remember much of it. Was 6 where you started on a desolate rune down planet planet in a small spacecraft like thing and had to get out?

20. pcj

pcj Ensign Newbie

In SQ6 you started half-buried in the ground (as the result of a transporter accident).