DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

DC loves covers with Superman's eyes glowing with his heat vision. They probably think it's kewl. I have to admit, I kind of like his suit. I'm guessing they are doing a New 52 version of the "Return of Krypton" storyline that seemed to be teased in Superman #0. I'll give them a chance.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The cardboard "outer cover" of Batman and Batgirl this month is sort of annoying. Haven't read either book yet.

3. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am so damn sick of that bit.

Really, of all the powers Superman has, I'd most like to see heat vision go. Not only has it become an excuse for the "Faux Image" eyes, but does Superman really need a power where he can basically kill people [if he wanted to] just by looking at them?

4. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I picked up Batman 13, Superboy 13, Batman and Robin 13 this week. Superboy was average, BR was pretty good. But Batman 13,,, wow! that issue was absolutely amazing, riveting, suspenseful. Just an absolute home run.

5. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

So Batman #13...Damn! That was awesome. Every panel of that book was awesome. If Death of the Family can keep this momentum going, it could possible go down as one of the greatest Batman stories.

6. Trekker4747

I've not read either of this week's pulls yet. (Though above I did mention the covers for the Bat-books were annoying.)

Paging through them, though, does seem like this is going to be an interesting storyline. I just hope I can follow it decently without having to pull other Bat-family books I don't follow. If not a Trade might be in my future.

7. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Paul Cornell is off Demon Knights at 16, but promises there is news coming about another assignment. I'll pretty much give anything he writes a try at this point.

8. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

man, i really enjoy Demon Knights. hope whoever takes over is halfway decent.

9. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

:wah:

10. Derishton

It's going to be Robert Venditti, and the story will take place thirty years after the current arc. And will involve vampires. I don't know Venditti's work, but I'll likely give it a try.

11. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just finished reading the new teen titans graphic loved it.

Oh by the way love circus peanuts yummie :)

12. Admiral_Young

13. OdoWanKenobi

Well.....now I'm excited.

Snyder is clearly DC's new golden boy, and with good reason. Lee's artwork is always great. I just hope that this doesn't become another Justice League, with two of the biggest and most respected names putting out a mediocre book. It's good to know that we'll have a Superman title to look forward to reading still, since I really don't see Action being any good once Morrison leaves.

14. Admiral_Young

15. Trekker4747

Should be really interesting. I've wanted another Superman title, I mean we've got four Batman titles, plus all of the extended-U Batman books. About time for another Superman title!

16. OdoWanKenobi

Considering how prominent a figure Superman is in the DC Universe, this will probably answer a whole bunch of different questions about New52 continuity, not just ones about Superman. Looking forward to it.

17. Admiral_Young

Batman #13: This was simply marvellous. I don't think Joker has been this menacing in the comics for a long time, even Morrison's use of him wasn't this compelling and threatening. Snyder turns in another brilliant piece, complimented by Capullo's sensational crisp art work. The cliffhanger ending was incredible...despite it being rumoured for a while, and Harley's line to Batman was telling indeed about this new revitalized Joker. Death of the Family is off to a fantastic start.

18. Derishton

I think if you pretend the Joker is an "unstoppable supernatural force"*, then he will indeed appear more menacing. But menacing isn't the same thing, necessarily, as "interesting." But you also aren't writing the Joker anymore. Morrison did genuinely new things with the Joker, but they were always things that you could say fit the general pattern of Jokerness.

* as the skeptical review at Too Dangerous for a Girl put it.

19. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I was looking for the latest issue of Batgirl and didn't see it. I thought they had sold out so I asked about it and they guy went over and pointed it out. It was right in front of me the whole time, but I never would have recognized it with that cover.

20. Admiral_Young