Your worst injuries

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by O'Dib, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

Ouch. I'm sorry. I remember that my nerve pain was bad enough to make me cry and weep and holler. There was no respite from it at all and it almost drove me mad. I can't even describe the sense of relief when I noticed it gradually diminishing (my surgeon had said that in the worst case the pain would be permanent). I hope you have proper medication.

2. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

I've only had two injuries with stories.

The first was when I was probably three years old, maybe four. The playground near our house was right next to a railroad track and the tradition was that when a train went by you couldn't be caught with your feet on the ground or you'd be 'it' or have cooties or somesuch thing. I'd just gotten off of something, teeter-totter maybe, when we heard a train coming. I looked around wildly but there were kids on everything, no room for me. Then suddenly I swear I saw an empty swing and ran to get on it before the train came. Only problem was, I must have hallucinated it because it wasn't empty at all and I ran smack into some kid's shoe. Ripped my left earlobe almost completely off. My sisters, ten and seven years old had to take me home to my mom to go get it stitched back on.

The second was when I was fifteen. I was just running around my back yard (being chased by a 15 year old boy, actually) when I tripped over a gardening stake and broke the neck of my right femur. My mom called a local quack Dr. and he jumped over me as I was stretched out on the sidewalk and *kicked* me, right where it was broken. That's the one and only time I ever really saw stars from pain. Turned out that I needed a bone graft and a pin put in (two weeks in traction, six months on crutches) and later removed. What really upset me, though, was that as soon as I was checked into my hospital room and traction set up, the mother of the kid who'd been horsing around with me called to ask if we were going to sue. I'd had a really bad day and was far less polite than my parents had brought me up to be.

Jan

3. Goji

Goji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have rarely been injured, and never seriously.

The first minor injury that comes to mind is the one I sustained when, on a fourth grade field trip, one of the jerks in the class "accidentally" nudged me off a seven or eight foot ledge overlooking the beach. Thankfully I landed on sand, and though it hurt like hell for a long time, it wasn't anything serious.

The only other instance that comes to mind is the time I went crabbing on the beach with my friends, using pitchforks to dig into the sand to find them, and one of my friends accidentally (this time a real accident) stuck his pitchfork into my foot. Fortunately, I did not require a tetanus shot. Bled a lot though.

4. Kataaran

Kataaran Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yep. I love my codeine :)

I would have told her the first thing I was gonna do with my new leg was kick him in the bollocks. Hard.

5. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

While cleaning out an old building, I accidently stabbed my right leg with a piece of glass from an old vending machine, didn't feel much pain...noticed blood. Made a two inch gash at most. Once it stopped bleeding it was very strange to look at, like suddenly you realize you are meat.

Stiches, miminal scar. Also the tetanus shot.

Funny thing was later watching STARSHIP TROOPERS, the part where Johnny Rico's leg is impaled by the arachnid's jaw, I could feel my old wound.

6. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

DAMN. You win! :eek:

Seriously, dude,that SUCKS, but I'm glad you're still with us.

7. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

Wacked myself in the head with a prybar.... Pry AWAY from yourself ALWAYS.

Spattered by hot liquid nylon when a press malfucntioned, John got the worst of it I "only" had to have my left shoulder scraped, he ended up with burns over 50% of his body.

Various pinches, cuts, slivers of metal, burns, gouges... nothing major and thanks to modern medicine very few scars.

Worst accident knocked me out and caused some mental failure I'm missing a few weeks of time. Got up, went to work, something something something in hospital honestly can't recall what happened. THEY tell me I was alert and talking and moving around but for some reason nothing got recorded between July 6 and July 23rd 2000.

Not quite as bad as getting run over by a lawnmower, dying and then undying though. ;)

8. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Nah, we really were just playing around. He's still one of my dearest friends. Anyway, the break would have happened soon even if it hadn't happened then. There was a cyst inside the bone which is what caused the break moreso than tripping did. If it hadn't happened then, it might have happened at a much worse time and place like crossing the street or going up or down stairs.

Jan

9. Bloodwhiner

Bloodwhiner Commodore Commodore

Hey everyone,

It was only an arm and I was only 2 yrs old. It happened in one day and was over. They was no lingering suffering or issues. I've grown up fine and had a great time along the way.

Today I'm retired from 30 years as a photojournalist and next week I hope to go cavediving with friends (I'm the only fullcave certified diver in the world with one arm).

So things could have been much worse.

10. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Worst burn I ever got: we were bending glass with a Bunsen burner in science class. Our glass snapped, and idiot that I was, I instinctively reached to pick it up and grabbed the wrong end. 2nd-degree burns at the tips of my index finger and thumb--MAJOR ouchie. Almost passed out from the pain. I was also quite embarrassed, considering we'd been warned before even starting the experiment NOT to touch the hot glass.

My other worst injury--sprained my ankle, by stepping in a pothole the wrong way. I was wearing a 30-lb backpack at the time, too, so I went down HARD. Thought I'd walk the rest of the way to the car, but lost my balance and went down again. THAT one made it so bad I couldn't walk on it for a couple days.

11. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

ONLY an arm. :wtf:

Okay, see your point though, you've made it just fine. And managed to do very very cool things (I graduate from photojournalism school next year..)

12. ThePlumsofWrath

ThePlumsofWrath Commander

Is this an example of Darwinism?

13. superstring01

superstring01 Commander Red Shirt

Age 7: My uncle owned a large farm and had a brush trimmer attached to his farm tractor (a long flat poll with lots of spikes on it; they "scissor" back and forth to cut the tall brush). It was in the upright position (but tilted back wit the spikes pointing slightly upwards) to prevent it from being stepped on and broke. I decided to climb up it like a latter (climbing on the spikes, which stuck out about 8" each). I slipped and fell, landing on the spikes in such a way that caused one spike to pierce my scrotum, cut out the back, then re-penetrate going in through my crotch and cut all the way to the femur on my right leg. I was left there, dangling, until my screams were heard by my brother, who then ran into my unlce's house screaming that I had my wiener cut off on the tractor.

Worst part, having my mother (who was a med student) there during the surgery.

Age 7: Same year, just later, I was attacked by two German shepherds that tore off my right ear, tore my cheek away from the jaw and cheek bone, ripped a large chunk of flesh from my legg and left me bleeding until my brother and father arrived to save me. Took several reconstructive operations to fix my right ear and right cheek.

Age 11: I was involved in a serious car accident that fractured two vertebrae, herniated a back muscle, broke my foot and left me in the hospital for quite a time. Worst part: the catheter I was given in the ER. That hurt worse than anything else.

~String

14. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well my mother has told me a few times that when i was a baby i fell down a flight of stairs and in her words 'cracked my head open'. I don't remember it but it really does explain alot.

when i was a kid i sprained both my wrist jumping off a water truck, ran into a barb wire fence fell off some playground equipment almost breaking my nose and bruised some ribs. I was also it in the face with a wooden plank by a friend.

15. Bloodwhiner

Bloodwhiner Commodore Commodore

DAMN STRING.... talk about a traumatic childhood!

I'd vote you the thread wiener.

16. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm saddened to here of these injuries; again, I hope no-one has suffered too much trauma over them.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was taking down a flag at work a few years ago and I fell off the ladder. Came down right on my nose...didn't break it, but lacerated it pretty badly (still have the scar). To this day I refuse to get on ladders for any reason.

I think I was lucky I landed on my nose and not my head. If it had been the latter, I would probably have died.

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

:rolleyes:

I hope it knocked a lot more than "some" common sense in you.

19. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i forgot to mention when i injured my sciatic nerve not sure how i did it but i have been in that much pain in my life.

20. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Just my dignity. ;) The only one that occasionally still gets me is the ankle--I think it's weaker than the other ankle so I have to watch how I walk.

As far as most embarrassing injury, I only got skinned knees as far as actual damage, but here's the story.

I was wrapping this woman's package (I worked at a shipping center), and I'd just got done asking her if it was fragile. Well, I come back around the corner to process it, and I couldn't see the ground for the package, and I tripped over a low-lying cart. I flipped all the way over the cart and the box went flying. The customers saw this and some of my fellow employees.

God, I was SO embarrassed!