(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

They're actually Danny Higginbotham and Vagner Love...

But isn't there a stadium in Germany called the Wankdorf stadium?

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Speaking of stadiums the UPC-Arena used to be called The Arnold Schwarzenegger-Stadium and Shrewsbury used to play at Gay Meadow before moving this season to New Meadow.

3. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Here is the official squad...:eek::eek::eek::eek:

David James
    Paul Robinson
    Robert Green

Wes Brown
    Glen Johnson
    John Terry
    Rio Ferdinand
    Matthew Upson
    Joleon Lescott
    Ashley Cole
    Wayne Bridge

David Beckham
    David Bentley
    Frank Lampard
    Gareth Barry
    Jermaine Jenas
    Jimmy Bullard
    Joe Cole
    Stewart Downing

Wayne Rooney
    Jermaine Defoe
    Theo Walcott
    Emile Heskey

4. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Wow. Jimmy Bullard, that happy little scamp, is in the England squad. I have no interest in it really, but that is amazing. Thoroughly deserved call-up.

Strikers look meh though, regardless of how well Defoe played yesterday, and Beckham AGAIN...

5. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Keepers...

No real problem there though Chris Kirkland on pure technical ability, is our best keeper but he can't keep fit.

If Micah Richards can kick a ball he should be a right back and I don't care where the muppets at Man City play him. Wes Brown is not a right back and only looks decent due to being in the same back line as Rio, Vidic & Evra. Also how the hell does Bridge get in over Shorey who actually plays football at a weekend. Upson does not have the legs to compete against the likes of Croatia but the now fit again King does so pick him.

I like Jimmy Bullard as a player but he is not good enough for ENGLAND and he should of called up Huddlestone as the emergencey 4th Central midfielder because he has huge experience at U21 (Bullard was in non league at his age) plus he has played in Europe and a major English cup final for Spurs. Also has Young does something to offend Capello because that must be the only reason he does not get picked over can't cross Downing.

Whats the point of Heskey being there with no Owen and whats the point of Walcott being there when we all know he won't even play. Oh and I hope he reminds Rooney that he is a forward and not a midfielder.

Yep alot of moaning but that squad is a complete joke and quite possibly the worst ENG squad I have ever seen an ENG manager pick on the players available to him.

:shifty:

6. HappyDayRiot

I am curious as to what Ashley Young has to do to get a call-up.

Come to that, just how low does Beckham have to go to NOT get called up?

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

8. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Wow. Something like that is an issue in England? Seriously? WTF has happened to you guys?!?? ;)

9. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^It is against the Licensing Act to consume alcohol within the outdoor area of a Football stadium. He is allowed to drink it in the concourses, of course, we're not selling alcohol that you're not allowed to drink.

10. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

I understand that; I was just trying to make a snide comment about the 1984-like laws dictating behaviour in Premier League stadiums. ;)

11. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Actually, it's more like 1989.

12. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I saw that while watching game, I was cheering him on as he downed the thing in one swallow :lol: Impressive even for a Geordie ;)

13. trekkiebaggio

Can't believe Heskey is in ffs. Good on Bullard though proper Roy fo the Rovers stuff that is :D

Apparantly Man City have just made a £30M bid for Berbatov!

14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Man City's bid has been accepted but Berbatov appears to not be intrested despite Man City just being brought out today, which appears will solve all there money problems.

I feel Utd will cough up £30 million by midnight tonight or they will go after Owen who fergie is rumored to be lining up as a emergency buy for £8 million.

^ as for Heskey, without Owen there was no real point to calling him up though Defoe does play like Owen and would drop off Heskey well though we all know in a 4-4-2, he would Rooney which would leave his strike partner left alone. Also Capello should not play 4-4-2 against the Croats but we all know he will screw it up.

I like Bullard but he will NOT play against Croatia and if he did he would probably get slaughtered by there amazing midfield...but then all of ENG will so he won't be on his own in that case :p

15. trekkiebaggio

I like Bullard he has heart & commitment which seems to be a lot more than most of the other England team have. Given their lacklustre performances I'd rather see Bullard in the team than Gerrard or Lampard.

16. HappyDayRiot

I can't believe Corluka has gone to Spurs. Yesterday was his last clean sheet for a while.

This Berbatov thing has been tedious all summer... until today. This Man City bid makes it genuinely interesting. Deadline day could so easily have been crap as usual but now... It's going to be a looooooooong hours...

And the breaking news is that Voronin has gone on loan to Hertha Berlin! Liverpool fans rejoice!!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  17. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Looks like Berbatov have snubbed Man City because he is currently holding talks with Man Utd who must have risen there price to £30 million. Though am wondering if MAN UTD is a mis print on the Sky Sports website, will have to take a further looks on the story.

18. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Real Madrid have put in a £36.5m bid for Berbatov according to Sky Sports News.

To top that, Manchester City have lodged bids for David Villa (who only signed a new five year contract three days ago) and Mario Gomes.

19. HappyDayRiot

City's new owners seem to think they're Real! Rubbish all of it - I truly believe he's going to go to the red side of Manchester.

20. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Daniel Levy says that only City have permission to talk to Berbatov. No bid from Manchester United has been accepted and they do not have permission to talk to the player, even though they clearly have since Sky Sports News has seen Berbatov at the United training ground being given a tour personally by Sir Alex.