Tri-D Chess Game Beta Testers Wanted

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by GimbalLock, Jan 11, 2014.

1. GimbalLock

GimbalLock Ensign Newbie

I'm developing a 3 D Chess game for the Androids platform. It's based on the game board from the original Star Trek series, and follows the rules outlined in Andrew Bartmess' 'Federation Standard Tri-D Chess Revision 5.0'.

I'm looking for volunteers to play the beta version and provide feedback on what you think. If you're interest please check out:

http://www.awfsoft.com/tridchess/tridchess.html

Thanks!

2. Captain April

Captain April Commander Red Shirt

Just took a look at the video you provided. Very impressive.

What sort of chess engine are you using? Your own or another modified engine?

3. GimbalLock

GimbalLock Ensign Newbie

Cap April - thanks for checking out the video. If you get a chance I'd love to get your feedback on how the game plays.

I couldn't use an existing engine because of the multiple levels and the fact that the Attack Boards can move. I did study standard chess engines and applied the same principles. It's been an interesting exercise. Right now the engine only works to gain a material advantage. So there's plenty of room for improvement.

4. Captain April

I'll play around with it a bit and give you some thoughts.

5. Captain April

I installed the app on my samsung galaxy s4 and it won't open. It gives a screen and then a dialogue box that is too fast for me to read.

6. GimbalLock

GimbalLock Ensign Newbie

So you do see the splash screen that says "Loading Tri D Chess"? The dialog mentions the version and the expiration date. It may take 10 or 15 seconds to load. If the splash screen closes without you touching the home button then that's an issue. I appreciate you giving it a try. Let me know if waiting will allow it to start.

Thanks!

7. Captain April

Yeah, the splash screen closes without anything else happening.

Keep us posted about your progress. I'll try it out each time you have a new build ready.

Good luck.

8. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

I tried on my galaxy s4 and samsung tablet 2. Both show me a beta version window and then states that the app has closed.

9. GimbalLock

GimbalLock Ensign Newbie

Tomorrow I’ll be able to borrow a Samsung device to do more testing. For now I created a build that does not allocate the transposition hash table (uses a lot of memory). It’s available at the same location. I’ll let you know how the testing goes with the Samsung device.

Thanks to all for your feedback.

http://www.awfsoft.com/tridchess/tridchess.html

10. GimbalLock

GimbalLock Ensign Newbie

Update - I am able to reproduce the problem on a Samsung S3. Will post as soon as I get it fixed.

11. GimbalLock

GimbalLock Ensign Newbie

12. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

If you can get a hold of an S4, I'll try it again.

13. Captain April

Just installed it on my S4 and it's working fine. Now I have to learn the rules.

I look forward to the progress of this game Gimbal!

14. GimbalLock

GimbalLock Ensign Newbie

Excellent news that it's running on the S4. Thanks!

I received a comment that the de-selection was aggravating one of the testers. Definitely don't want to be pissing off the user! The issue was that if you have a chess piece selected and you're considering the move, that the piece would unselect if you touch the board or background. I agree this is annoying and it's disabled in the new version.

Thanks again for all the feedback. Keep it coming.