Spider-Man movie (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jul 2, 2010.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Very cool music. I hope this has a good credits sequence, some of my favorite movie credit sequences ever come from the Marvel stuff.

2. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Horner has no new ideas. The music during the second minute sounds like his theme to a Beautiful mind, with the female vocalist and piano, while the rest sounds like the opening to Men in Black (the original film)

3. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

I'm amazed at how successful Horner's career has been considering his new scores always consist of his old scores. :lol:

4. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Listen also to how similar (read; identical) Horner's score for A Beautiful Mind is to Bicentennial Man. Bicentennial Man has a bit more percussion.

5. Admiral James Kirk

I have no doubt. I remember the first time I saw Aliens and noticing how much the score sounded like TWOKs. I was again surprised when I saw Titanic and noticed the resemblance to Braveheart. I don't know why guys like Danny Elfman and Hans Zimmer bother to work for a living when this guy doesn't. :guffaw:

6. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Danny Elfman... what a hack. His Spiderman sounds just like Alice in Wonderland.

The score for ASM is certainly different. I like it.

7. Admiral James Kirk

I don't much care for his Spider-Man score but goddamn I loved his score for Hulk.

8. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, look. Wrath of Khan music in the new Amazing Spider-Man score. How surprising.

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

He can't help himself with that cue or those bars it seems! Typical repetitiveness aside, I did really enjoy it.

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Never understood why people make such a big deal about this. Composers usually get hired because they HAVE a certain recognizable style.

Even when I was a kid I saw tons of similarities between the scores for Superman, Star Wars, and Indiana Jones, but I never cared. They were all still awesome anyway.

And the same goes for the music in TWOK and Aliens. If the music is kickass and works for the movie, that's all I care about. And that music really WORKED.

11. Admiral_Young

People make a big deal about it because he seems to be the only composer who constantly does this in score after score. If it was just a one off or maybe two films, it wouldn't get talked about...but it is obvious in every single "new" score that he does. I honestly didn't really recognize anything overt the first listen I gave this...it wasn't until the second listen that I spotted the cues mentioned in the thread. It isn't as bad as his "Avatar" score though. I kept on shouting "Khaaaaaaaaannnnn!!!!" all the way through that :)

12. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Seconded. His Flash theme sounds just like his Batman theme.

Where's the richness and complexity of scores we got from Goldsmith, Bernstein, the other Bernstein, Previn, Herrmann, Mancini, M. Steiner, Tiomkin.... not to mention Prokofiev.

Hell, most tv shows - including cartoons - before 1980 had better scores than the movies of today.

Now we get Elfman churning out his usual boring crap, Williams rewarming stuff he did better 30 years ago, Randy Newman and his insipid little happy songs, and, for the arty set, Glass banging away at the same two notes throughout a whole damn film.

13. JaxsBrokenHeart

JaxsBrokenHeart Commander Red Shirt

Up to 91% on RT with Hollywood Reporter and Variety putting it over strong. Obviously it'll fluctuate the closer we get to release, but its cool that there's such a strong positive buzz.

14. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree. I think people overstate the extent to which Horner's scores are repetitive in comparison to other major composers. He certainly has a signature sound, but he's hardly alone in that.

15. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i know i thought that Danny Elfman's Spider-Man theme was awfully reminiscent of his Batman one.

16. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Just not as good. And his Desperate Housewives one is like his Simpsons one. Just not as good either.

17. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. If nothing else, it's nice to know the movie isn't an outright dud.

I'm sure a lot of fans will still be annoyed by the tender, indie-style romance that appears to be at the heart of the movie, but personally I'm really looking forward to that aspect.

18. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm looking forward to the romance aspect as well. It's only about a week and a half away now. I'm so excited!

19. Admiral_Young

If the romance between Gwen and Peter is handled anything like the romance between Tom and Summer was I'll be excited and pleased. One of the most impressive things about Webb's "500 Days of Summer" was how he directed and focused on his main characters in that movie. It is one of the aspects that made me excited about "The Amazing Spider-Man" when he was announced as director.

20. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Are we doing the reviews in this thread or in a new one? I just got back from seeing the film (it's out already in Japan).