"Now Playing" Podcast Movie Reviews

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Tulin, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Just wanted to check if anybody else listens to this show? I find the production values very high and their criticism is usually extremely well balanced with a broad range of viewpoints. For example, if they are doing a horror series they will usually have a fanboy(the overly nasal Arnie), a casual fan(high-pitched when exciteable Stuart)and a complete noob, Jacob.

Anybody else listen regularly to their shows and if so, what are your favourites?

2. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm an avid listener of Now Playing. Some of my favorites have been Cabin in the Woods, the Superman series--especially Steel, which was hilarious. The best episodes, often, are the ones on terrible movies.

3. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've heard these. Fairly well done and enjoyable.
    I listened to their entire James Bond series, I liked that a lot. Didn't always agree but their opinions were interesting.

I tried the Star Trek series, but their views conflicted so strongly with mine I ended up getting angry so I stopped.

4. Tulin

I have to admit, I'm not overly fond of their latest series with "Road To Perdition" and so on - just don't grab me and I feel the link between the films is EXTREMELY tenuous. There are SO MANY other series still to be done rather than sink to lame ones like this, for example;

The films of Spielberg(break up into decades/eras)
    Hitchcock films(same deal)
    Eighties films

I suspect they are saving uber series like LOTR, Indy and so forth for a future donation series. Likewise I only ever expect they will do SW for donation and will likely tie it in with the next film release.

Anyway, first world problem.

5. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, the latest "DC Hitmen" series seems more like treading water than anything else. I'd have rather they did some one-offs to fill in time until the next series started up.

6. Tulin

I hear ya. There's a ton of movies they could have done as "one-offs" that don't fit into any kind of list.

7. Jiangnan Freak

Jiangnan Freak Lieutenant

Or look at some foreign franchises or some direct to dvd ones like Undisputed.

8. Tulin

I purchased the recent donation series, even though I am not a huge fan of the subject matter - just felt like I wanted to contribute. I've never even seen an Evil Dead movie and from the little I've seen, I don't think I ever will.