What are your current computer's specs?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Captain Ice, Jan 18, 2012.

1. spinnerlys

spinnerlys Commander Red Shirt

If you are talking about Hackintoshing, then yes, I might just do that, though getting a proper notebook (not netbook) to run Mac OS X is a bit harder, as far as I have gathered.

And I am not really in love with Mac OS X, as I still see many faults with it(though love does not always makes one blind), especially with the new version, it is the only OS I feel comfortable with, and is not ugly as shit (sorry). I guess, I just like Spaces and Exposé and the rather dull colours compared to the colourfulness of Windows, which started with Windows 5.1 (I always reverted to the Classic look or Windows 2000).

Anyway, a new computer is still a year or three off, so I can live with it, and maybe there will be good Linux variant out there I can run, though my applications will never run on them.

2. ares93

ares93 Commodore Commodore

Just keep in mind, lads, that hackintoshing is illegal in the us, canada and the uk. Maybe its not a good idea to discuss it online.

3. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

Meh... the gpu could have been better... the 555m would be a decent mid-range gpu, or even better, an 560M - but it also depends on your budget.

Aside from that, Holdfast... you can upgrade manually to 16GB RAM if you wanted to.
    Just get the cheapest 2x8GB DDR3 so-dimm you can find and you'll be good.
    Oh and, don't pay too much attention to Mhz speed on RAM... it means 0 in terms of real-life performance, gaming, etc.
    As I said, stick to the cheapest RAM - and brand doesn't really matter either.

Aside from that... where are you situated and what's your budget?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  4. spinnerlys

spinnerlys Commander Red Shirt

You mean here? Were spammers roam free?

There are plenty of Hackintosh message boards out there, and it is not really ILLEGAL, it is just violating the EULA. If one would sell Hackintosh computers like Psystar did, then that is kind of illegal and Apple will fuck you.
    But Apple is "kind" enough to not come after the few people, who use a Hackintosh or post on message boards about it and help each other out. They have bigger fish to fry, especially when they can get more money out of it, and Samsung has more money than Jane or John.

5. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Who the hell needs 16 GB Ram? Even 8 is overdoing it for the vast majority of people.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Photoshop and apps like it - they eat memory for breakfast.

7. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

My PC specs?

Ancient. :)

8. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

primarily used for video editing actually...

i'll render down say 70 mins of HD footage from RAW and encode it through AVI after editing...

even with 16gb Ram it normally takes about an hour or two to encode properly

M

9. ares93

The computer used for rendering by the media students in my school has 48GB of ram. It has 12 ram slots with 4GB modules in each.

You mean its powered by a ZPM? Wicked!

10. Bisz

Bisz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have an mid 2010 15" MacBook Pro with the High-res screen, 2.4GHz i5, 500gig HDD, 6gigs of ram and Nvidia GeForce GT 330M with 256 MB.

11. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the info guys. As I said, for now it seems plenty fast enough for my needs, so the upgrade budget is precisely zero. :)

My last laptop I kept for 5+ years as I mentioned, but upgraded the RAM at one point. Depending on how software demands progress, I may end up having to do that some years down the line, but it's not on the horizon any time soon. Good to know there are options though, thanks.

Took me a moment, then I loled. :lol:

12. ares93

^ I was wondering if anyone would catch on.

Btw, only time you need to give a damn regarding ram is when you are going to overclock. Otherwise, just by the cheapest compatible ram modules. But honestly, ram is basically free nowadays. I bought 4GB modules for 65€ each a few months ago. When i bought ram for my laptop a few weeks ago, I got 2x4GB for 30€.

13. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

You'd be surprised how useful it can be in research programs to have tons of memory available.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

You can never have too much memory or HD space. If you can afford more, get it.

15. Count Zero

Nonsense. What's the use of buying memory modules if you never use it? Also, some OSs can't even deal with anything above a certain amount so it will just sit there, unused, possibly using up power.
    For some things you need a lot of RAM, like serious video editing but the vast majority of computer users don't need it. Some need it for showing off, though. ;)

16. Mr. Laser Beam

The current versions of OS X and Windows can both deal with more memory than any computer currently being manufactured can support. And this will continue for some time, I think.

It will be a LONG time before computers ever get made that can support more memory than those currently shipping OSes do. And by that time, the OSes themselves will be patched. So everything, in a sense, will always be caught up; nobody will ever again be stuck with a machine whose OS can't use all its memory. (The days of having to worry about things like "32-bit clean" are long since past.)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  17. Count Zero

Yeah, I heard Windows 7 overtook Windows XP in market share recently. Still, 90% of computer users don't need more than 4 GB of RAM. I believe that buying more of anything than you really need is a waste of ressources and thus not a good policy. :shrug:

18. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Yep, best laugh I've had so far today. :lol: If only

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Win7 Ultimate Edition
    Dual Core Intel 2.3ghz
    3GB of PC6400 RAM
    500GB HD
    Multi Drive DVD-CD Burner
    24 bit Soundblaster HD card
    New 1GB DDR3 Gigabyte graphics card
    New 32" Hitachi Ultrathin LED monitor
    New 400 Watt power supply
    New Dual-Band N Router(NOt in the pictures)
    New wireless Logitech Mk320 keyboard and Mouse(Not in the pictures)
    2.1 AL Speakers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. ares93

^ Now, that's a pretty nice setup. A bit cluttered for my taste, but otherwise, its totally me. Fast and functional.

Btw, this is my Command Center. I have a temporary Benq screen now since the old one died. But its crap, so it doesn deserve to be present.
    [​IMG]