Living Witness

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by teacake, Feb 5, 2011.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

So I just watched this ep again.. and I don't get what the deal with the back up doctor is. Does he have his mobile emitter? I would assume not since he is a backup. How did he manage to take a ship and leave after some years?

I'm guessing the culture he was in invented a mobile emitter for him.

So when the backup doctor finally got back to the Alpha quadrant 700+ years after Voyager did I wonder where the original doctor was? I imagine the original doctor would be quite mortified at his much younger self having grown all wise and stuff LOL!

2. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

The back up wouldn't need a mobile emitter, since he was at the musuem, which had holoemitters for the displays & stuff. As for takin' a ship & leavin', the aliens probably added emitters to a warp shuttle or whatever...and away he went.

3. Nick086

Nick086 Captain Captain

Great episode by the way

4. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

Until ya realize its completely pointless, 'cause the existence of a back up EMH totally negates all the concerns the crew had about losin' the EMH.

5. teacake

Yeah it should have been a transporter accident which doubled 'em up on EMH's and then they stupidly lost one.

It was still a great episode :D

6. Odon

Odon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How about an episode where pirated copies of the Doctor start spreading across the Delta Quadrant?

7. teacake

Dude, we don't talk about illegal downloads of the Doctor on this BBS.

8. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You're telling me that all we need is BitTorrent and we can all have our own EMH?

9. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Think of it this way, between episodes they found out how to make ONE back-up copy of the EMH and only one. Then it was lost in the battle with the Kyrians and they couldn't make another.

10. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anyone in Trek Lit ever follow up on the Back-up Doctor's return to the Alpha Quadrant in the 31st century? It might make for a nice short story.

11. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think a SNW story focused on it, but since that story was set in Star Trek's far future, the backup module's ultimate fate has been untouched, since the TNG/DS9/VOY (and related novel spin-off series) novels are set in the late 24th century.

12. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

Well they had all of those concerns prior to this episode, so presumably Belanna figured out a way to back him up before that time.

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I so wish they did a Mirror Universe-style episode where Janeway and co had to whup their evil counterparts. You think Janeway got mad when Captain Ransom did a few naughty things? Think she got single-minded and obsessive over the Krenim? Imagine how she'd react if an Evil Janeway really was bombarding planets from orbit and executing world leaders in the name of Starfleet.

14. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Wouldn't it be stretching credibility a fair bit if the Mirror Universe Voyager also ends up in the Delta Quadrant? ;)

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Amelia Earheart.

If that didn't dissolve any notion of credibility for this enterprise then Space Nazis AGAIN certainly did.

16. teacake

It was already established in Close Encounters of the Third Kind that Amelia Earhart was abducted by aliens.

17. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

I was watching this last night.
    The museum simulation VOY cinematography blew me away! What a change for the lighting on the bridge! This was cinema-style Trek movie lighting like the difference in ST:Generations compared to TNG.
    Yes all dark and moody on the VOY bridge.

Did anyone else notice how much better the dramatic lighting made it?

And oh my god we see Tuvok smile!

18. Sandoval

Sandoval Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Goodness me you're awfully impressed by them simply turning the lights down a couple of notches aren't you.

"Blown away" because the lights weren't very bright. Phew...

19. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

TNG was so flatly lit. ST:Generations made the Ent-D's bridge so much better.

VOY's bridge was lit much better than TNG but seeing it in a different light on Living Witness gives a different feeling and more epic feel for VOY.
    I can appreciate the huge impact the cinematographer has on the image. In the 90s TV lighting only started to get very dark with The X-Files.
    Week in and week out of 7 seasons of VOY this is really the first time the VOY bridge has looked different. In Red Alert mode on VOY in the simulation the lights were really different in this episode.

In the 2000s ENT has some dark lighting in a number of scenes. TV production values have changed. put it in perspective.

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The period in time between 2000 and 2009 were called the norties, which is hilarious because norties is a homonym with naughties, not that naughties is any where near as real a word as norties.