The Last Airbender - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jul 1, 2010.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

2.7%
  2. Above Average

18.9%
  3. Average

18.9%
  4. Below Average

18.9%
  5. Poor

40.5%
  1. Scherazade

Scherazade Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I understand what your saying, and it wasn't a big deal; I just found it odd. Now that you mention it, when I first saw the show I thought it was weird that firebenders didn't need a fire source to bend. But I came to think that firebending kind of balanced against airbending. In a world where every bender needs their element nearby, airbenders have an edge because their element is everywhere and easily accessible. Firebenders offer a balance in this regard. Earth and Water, while limited in accessibility, have an advantage when it comes to substance (mass). That's how it worked out in my head, anyway. The change did work well in the movie (as much as anything can work well in a movie like this.) It just surprised me.

2. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

From what I understand, the pronunciations are changed because that's how Shyamalan thought the spellings should be pronounced (yeah, I don't get it either).

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

This is sad. I expected it to be bad as soon as Shyamalan was announced as director, but as I saw the trailers and set reports, I began to hope that he might manage to pull off a moderately decent movie at least. And I never expected it would be as intensely reviled as this.

Well, I'll just say what I've said before -- if A:TLA fans want to see a good live-action version of the show, go rent The Forbidden Kingdom.

How were the pronunciations changed? I'd assume "Aang" was pronounced with an "ah" sound, which would make sense to me. Were there other changes as well?

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Did he even watch the show?

5. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

So he changed the pronounciations but couldn't direct them to act? :lol:

Why does this guy keep getting work?

I guess we shouldn't look foward to a Book II.

6. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

With any luck, this will be the end of Shyamalan's career. I figured the movie might wind up being a run-of-the-mill summer blockbuster, but apparently it wound up being an abhorrent mess. I mean, fucking 6%?? Not too many movies get that kind of universal scorn.

Look at the trajectory this guy's career has taken. Tomatometer scores by movie:

Wide Awake - 41%
    The Sixth Sense - 85%
    Unbreakable - 68%
    Signs - 74%
    The Village - 43%
    Lady in the Water - 24%
    The Happening - 18%
    The Last Airbender - 6%

What's he gonna try for next, 0%?

7. exodus

..or directing infomercials. :lol:

8. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

According to one of the other reviews I've read, Iroh now rhymes with "hero", and Sokka is "Soak-a".

9. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

Yup, ear-o and soak-a. Though Yue says Sokka (show pronunciation) once.

10. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

11. SG-17

Maybe M. Night would be held in higher esteem today if he actually did make Unbreakable into a trilogy. That film, along with Signs and The Sixth Sense are the only films of his worth existing at all, and unless he can learns from his mistakes with Book 1 (which I highly doubt will happen, unless something happens like his kids telling him the film sucked, which I hope they do) and make Book 2 actually an okay film.

12. Peter the Younger

Peter the Younger Commodore Commodore

I've defended M. Night before, but it's gotten increasingly tougher to do so. Well I haven't seen the movie, but from the sounds of it I won't be. I knew we were in trouble when the first trailers showed snippets of those awful, wooden performances. It seems my worst fears have been borne out.

13. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

It's early, but given the reports thus far it seems highly unlikely Book 2 will ever be made, at least not with M. Night at the helm.

14. SG-17

To my knowledge reviews have hardly, if ever stopped a sequel being made. The box office normally does. Though hopefully Nickelodeon is smart and pulled the license from M. Night. Hell maybe they will reboot the film franchise after just the first film!

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Those make sense to me as "Asianized" pronunciations of the names as they're spelled. Yes, they're different, but then, so are the appearances of the actors. I can understand him trying to differentiate his film. Of all the complaints I've heard, this one seems fairly trivial. (And frankly it always bugged me that Mai's name was pronounced "May" instead of "Mye." A name pronounced "May" should be spelled "Mei." So the show wasn't exactly accurate in its pronunciations to begin with.)

I think the license would belong to Paramount and/or The Kennedy/Marshall Company. They could easily assign another director if they chose to continue the series.

I think the right way to go from here in theatrical terms would be an animated feature film from the original creators, in the original show's continuity. Which, of course, is what I've been saying all along that they should've done instead of this.

16. Theonethatis

Theonethatis Commander Red Shirt

I am seeing it in a hour, may the great maker be with me.

17. SG-17

You are going to seriously have to resist the urge to walk out if you want to be able to watch the entire film.

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I really wanted to see it in theaters, but now I am completely unwilling to spend the money on a ticket. I will wait for Netflix.

19. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anybody here see this movie having NEVER seen the cartoon?

20. exodus

Screw that, a rental still costs money.

I'm looking for a free bootleg download!:guffaw::guffaw: