Quark

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Captain Picard., Apr 24, 2013.

1. Captain Picard.

Captain Picard. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

He is becoming annoying. He should be the main star the amount of episodes that evolve around him:( All of his stories are becoming boring. Is this a trend to come? (I am at the start of season 3)

2. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

Some people love Quark, other hate him.

I think he's one of the better balanced, more realistic, and most hu-mon Star Trek characters, but I was not that fond of him during my first trip through DS9.

3. _C_

_C_ Commander Red Shirt

Quark can be annoying as hell sometimes, but he's great when he's bouncing off other characters in a scene.

4. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed. But the role he sometimes played, "Outside alien with a unique cynical perspective of The Federation" (Garak also had some of this) might have been better served being given to a more charismatic character with that being his defining trait.

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

TNG totally trashed the Ferengi in their first appearance, as they originally were supposed to be the main bad guys. Quark added a new perspective to them, but they still served as Trek's resident clowns.

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Armin Shimmerman himself said he spent his seven years on DS9 trying to makeup for what TNG did to the Ferengi.

7. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    Quark is one of the best characters on DS9. He's one of the few civilian, non-Human characters we ever get on Star Trek and he's also hilarious. He was a needed perspective on a show set on a station with all kinds of non-Starfleet, non-Human characters.

He's just a guy trying to get sex and money, and sometimes do a little good. Who can't sympathize with that?

8. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

Speaking of Quark, I've always wondered why he (and some other Ferengi) do not wear that head dress thing. I've only seen bits an pieces of them in TNG so I don't know if it was ever explained there or ever explained at all.

Does the head dress mean anything in particular to the Ferengi or is just a fashion statement, like how some people like wearing ball caps and others do not.

9. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The real world reason was that most Ferengi masks didn't wrap all the way around the back of the head, and the dress was used to cover that up and make the makeup process easier. Quark was the first, and one of the few, Ferengi that had the full mask.

10. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

trekker670,

Ah, that makes sense! Thanks for the information.

11. R. Star

Never heard that. Interesting to know. Good thing Nog didn't serve with Riker. He'd probably make him take it off in true jerk fashion. :p

12. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Quark is easily one of my favourite characters on DS9 - brilliantly played and so colourfully brought to life by Armin Shimerman.

13. Captain Picard.

Captain Picard. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Are the different aliens in star trek supposed to represent races in earth now?

14. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Star Trek aliens traditionally were intended to represent individual human traits, i.e., Vulcans=Logic, Ferengi=Greed, etc. I could never figure out what they were supposed to represent with all the different Xindi factions.

15. R. Star

Collective stupidity? :p

16. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

I love Quark for the sly Ferengi troll he is (or was).

17. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Quark is tied for 1st place as my favorite DS9 character (the other is Garak).

18. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I feel the opposite! I am on Season 5 and still look forward to Quark episodes. They have a lightness to them that Star Trek lacks sometimes. Usually they bring much needed comedic relief, at least for me anyways. I still love whenever Odo tries to catch Quark in some scheme. :D I also never get sick of Garak centered episodes.

My favorite Quark/Odo episode is probably "The Ascent" in Season 5.

19. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Yeah... Garak is my fave, then Quark and Odo are close seconds.

20. Triskelion

Triskelion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I admire his customer service skills.