Netflix VS HuluPlus...

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Frontier, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

So until recently, I still lived in 2003. That is to say, I just got around to getting WiFi cause I've never needed it until my ISP told me my modem was too old and if I didn't upgrade they'd shut me off. :lol:

Anyway, as part of advancing forward in time I've got Netflix streaming and HuluPlus courtesy of some family, and... I'm not seeing a whole hell of a lot worth a damn on HuluPlus. Like, so far, I've seen nothing on there that I haven't seen on Netflix already (or that I can't get from my cable On Demand service).

Maybe it's just me.

Can anyone tell me what HuluPlus actually has that Netflix doesn't (that's worth a damn)? :)

2. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hulu Plus has more current TV shows, where episodes are only a day behind their broadcast TV counterparts. Netflix, on the other hand, has a far better, and wider, selection of movies and TV shows, with full seasons.

Netflix also works on a larger number of handheld devices, and TV appliances. I own a Roku box, and use it to watch Netflix. I have ordered Hulu Plus in the past, but only a small percentage of shows were available to me, and a lot of the shows that were available were the same types of shows I could get on Crackle (which I also get on my Roku box) for free.

Netflix is $8 a month for unlimited streaming, and the vast majority of their content is in HD. Hulu Plus is also $8 a month, and they have commercials during their TV shows (Netflix has no commercials). It is my opinion that for most people, myself included, Netflix is far superior to Hulu Plus, and that Hulu Plus is only worth getting if you don't mind watching TV shows on your PC, and that you're okay with commercials during those shows, and still paying $8 a month for that option.

In short, Hulu Plus has very limited appeal.

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought HuluPlus didn't have commercials and had more shows. The fact they have commercials is a joke.

4. Amaris

Oh, the commercials don't stop, even if you pay for a subscription.

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Not to mention that you can watch new shows on Hulu for FREE if they're from ABC or NBC.... and a lot of FOX or CBS or CW shows you can see on their own websites for free.

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Hulu Plus does have a number of Criterion Collection titles streaming on it (as well as some of the bonus features), but in general Netflix has a much better selection.

7. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Netflix listings are better organized, too. Scrolling through HuluPlus on the Wii is a pain in the ass.

8. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hulu has more classic tv shows, which i enjoy watching or trying out for the first time. i discovered and have especially enjoyed It Takes A Thief.

9. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

The selections change over time.

Hulu had The Office (US) at one point, but no longer.

I had HuluPlus a couple years ago, but cancelled when I found out their android app didn't actually work yet. It does now & I've re-subscribed.

10. Frontier

Well, thankfully I'm not paying for either. Sharing the accounts with family. But that's about what I'd seen/concluded. That HuluPlus is pretty superfluous and doesn't have much of anything I can't get free elsewhere. Ah well, good to know!

Is there any other service like Netflix or Hulu out there, that has different stuff?

11. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

There's Amazon Instant. It's a mix of subscription content (Amazon Prime) and pay-per-view.

12. bigdaddy

And it's technically cheaper and you get free two day shipping.

13. Amaris

Yep. If you can drop the $89 up front, the Amazon Prime sub (free 2 Day Shipping + Streaming movies and TV) is a really good deal.

14. Frontier

What sort of stuff do they have though?

There needs to be a site where you can compare this shit, lol.

15. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

FYI, if you are a student then you can sign up for an Amazon Student membership (free) and it gets you a 6 month trial to Amazon Prime, and after the trial you can purchase Prime for half price.

16. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Amazon Prime and Netflix generally have very similar movie libraries, but it does have some exclusives: All of TNT's original shows are exclusive to Prime, as are Justified, Downton Abbey and The West Wing. If you have kids, Prime's streaming collection curb-stomps Netflix's.

Overall, I consider Amazon Prime the best $79 I spend every September. Free two-day shipping on anything directly sold by Amazon pays for itself after like four orders, and the streaming service is an added boost. For roughly $6.50 a month, that's pretty great.

17. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Netflix is a better value overall. Hulu has a lot of currently aired shows whereas Netflix doesn't get TV until they come out on DVD, and there's a handful of shows I was able to find on Hulu but not Netflix (Hill Street Blues, Community). And Hulu has all the Criterion stuff. But if you only want to go with one, Netflix is the clear choice.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I just checked my Netflix, and the entire run of West Wing is on there.

19. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Must have been a timed exclusive, then. I remember there being a big hubbub about The West Wing moving exclusively to Amazon last summer.

20. bigdaddy

The West Wing was just added to Netflix recently, within the last 6ish months.

Amazon has Stargate last I knew.