Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Just speculation which i can't test, as I have the TNG uniform unlocked account wide.

Is there anyone where who never unlocked it before and got it from the mission?

2. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just tried. I wasn't given the TNG uniforms. Just the Yesterday's Enterprise belt and chest gear.

3. Timelord Victorious

bummer.

4. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

Well after being locked out of the game since the "end of Winter Wonderland" patch, I finally got frustrated enough to uninstall and install from dvd. Still took 3 days of patching after the install. Just finished, so I'll check out the mission tonight.

The strange thing about the install was that it asked for my key. Luckily I didn't chunk that after the original install in 2010. Don't understand why they wanted that anyway as I'm a lifer...

---

What's wrong with the android? I claimed it before but didn't bother putting it in my crew as the crew is already setup the way I like.

5. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

I'm finally about to start playing this game. It's taken over half an hour to get a name - naturally everything Star Trek-related is gone, including names from the books and weird combinations like JadziaTuvok (the names of my cats). Hell, even Ebola is gone - not only that, but Ebola 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 as well! :D

Oddly enough, JJTheTraitor is available, but I suppose that may not go over well with some...

6. Rocketeer

The game seems to prevent close-sounding names. I found that if I played around some by adding random numbers for a while, then came back to the name I wanted that it would let me have it.

7. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Apparently I missed the update, long since given up hope. As of about 2 weeks ago, nothing wrong with them at all. For the past year and change, however, they were promised to be available as male or female, and in all 3 specialties. The excuses bounced around a lot, but result was we were stuck with male engineer only, and only just fixed. Now you can have whatever you like

8. Timelord Victorious

There is no restriction on character names already in use, same for ship names.
    Any restriction you encounter there is for iconic names CBS/Cryptic doesn't want players to use or for profanity and stuff.

The @handle name however can on only used by one player as that is your Cryptic account wide adress. Even if someone in Champions Online or Neverwinter Nights uses it already you can't have it for STO.

9. Number.One

Number.One Ensign Newbie

As a relatively new Trek fan, would this game be right for me? It seems very fun, but I'm just wondering if you have to have an abundance of Trek lore to be able to understand.

In addition to that, what are your thoughts on the game?

10. Timelord Victorious

Just try it out. It is mostly fun.

There are many canon references you might not get if you don't have an overall knowledge of Trek, but Cryptic plays fast and loose with canon anyway, so outside of references you won't be lost.Just treat it as a space shoot-em up with ground bits and you are good to go.

11. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

OK, so I just tried the tagging mission for the first time. I can get nine Eppohs tagged in ninety seconds (at a stretch), giving me one tag per day. This means I need 4 days to get 1 research, 5 research per pup, so we're already looking at 20 days. Then four days to rise through the ranks, but while I'm doing that I can start on the next one.

Four hundred marks every 20 days... and that's assuming I have time to play every day...

Nope, I think I'll stick to my 60-mark-a-day Nequencia run. :)

12. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, only reason I have any Romulan Marks is because of the Winter Event, and the MUCH easier time of getting them through that Eppoh tagging.

All these piddly events for 5-10 Marks at a time isn't worth the effort, and isn't FUN.

Even though I've done STFs to death, at least you can bang out 75-100 in a 15 minute period, get some DIL, and still have a little entertainment/challenge. Scanning 20 of X for 10 Marks, or 20 days of grinding for 400, neither is awarding appropriately to the pain in the ass, and it's NOT fun.

Of course, i've now maxed out both Rep races for my main toon, and have all the Omega gear I care to have. Bought a few Romulan pieces, but not really seeing more that's worth the horrible grind to get in the first place. Am I missing something?

13. Timelord Victorious

You are doing Epohh tagging alone?!

Always try to team up for it. You can easily double or triple the number of tagged epohhs that way.
    A duo can max it out to 30 tags if they are fast and with 3 it's a sure thing.
    That will give you 4 tags for your research doff assignment.

14. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

No, I'm not chasing around in the fields at all. Only Eppoh work I did was during the winter event, when it just took a 30 second race and a couple DOFF assignments to breed them up to 100/200 Marks depending on what you got.

Even with a good team as you suggested, still sounds like an awful grind, and not overly fun.

And then, as mentioned, i've already run out of things worth BUYING with the tags. Not really sure any of the kits/weapons/consoles are better than what I've got or worth spending anything on.

15. Timelord Victorious

A full grown epohh gets you 400 Romulan marks, so once you get through the first 10 days or so to set up your breeding program and keep doing it daily which takes you about 5 minutes or so, you have a steady high influx of marks... of course once you have bought everything from the rep store you are pretty much done. raise 3-4 epohhs to elderhood you can max the reputation easily.

16. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Really, 9 days is the longest it should take to get and elder eppoh. If you get crits on eppoh research, it can take as quick as 4 days to get an elder eppoh.

As mentioned by Timelord, always tag eppohs in a group of 3 or more. That way, you'll always be able to tag 40 eppohs and get 4 eppoh tags every day, allowing you to get enough research for a baby eppoh in just 5 days instead of 20 days.

17. Rocketeer

Okay, ran the temporal mission. It was fun, but a few things could make it better (like a gag for Lt Yar). I made it through the maze too fast and luckily went back in to explore a little. What happened to my crew though?..

18. Timelord Victorious

Why? Your crew wassn't your crew in the alternate reality.

19. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

If your run was like mine, at least some of your crew were roaming around as denizens of the base.

And I never heard Yar - since I was playing in a crowded room, 'mute' was my gag for her. ;)

20. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

BTW - I'm still a Lieutenant in the game with my original ship, so when I ended up running that Ambassador-class Enterprise, the number of crew options floored me. Is there a way to automate some of that (like tell Crewperson A to use their ability every time it comes back available if we're in combat) or have you found that you have just adapted to be able to manage all of that as the game has progressed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.