X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by StarTrek1701, May 31, 2011.

?

How Much Did You Enjoy X-MEN: FIRST CLASS?

Poll closed Oct 28, 2011.
  1. A+ (Great Movie!)

73 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. A (Entertained a lot!)

93 vote(s)
    45.4%
  3. B (Was okay, not bad)

30 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. C (Below expectations)

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. D (Very bad)

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  6. F (Intolerable, want money back)

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll probably watch it one or two more times before it leaves theaters. I think I saw The Dark Knight six or seven times in theaters.

2. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

I probably won't watch it again 'til it comes out on DVD/blu ray.

Exactly.

All the more reason why Xavier should have "let go." When ya touch a hot stove, do ya hold your hand there & get burned, or do ya pull it away?

3. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah gotcha. I don't exactly have the luxury to spend on watching the same movie these days.

4. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I hear it gets even better when you watch a movie the second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh time around.

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I thought it was fantastic. James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender were both brilliant as Charles and Erik. I really loved the '60s setting and putting the characters right in the middle of something as pivotal as the Cuban Missile Crisis. I really hope we get at least one more sequel; the 1960s are such a perfect era for the X-Men (no surprise, since that's when they were created, and that decade played such a huge role in their early development).

I enjoyed Erik's quest for the man who killed his mother, and Charles' development from somewhat of a carefree, freewheeling bachelor into a man devoted to helping his fellow mutants. I also thought Kevin Bacon was excellent as Sebastian Shaw. He had this really quiet, menacing air about him that I thought was really effective. I also really liked most of the young X-Men. I wish Moira had been Scottish and Banshee Irish, but that's a minor detail (especially in a film series where the American Xavier has been made a Brit instead).

The weakest links in the cast, IMO, were January Jones and Zoe Kravitz. The guy who played Riptide doesn't really count because he didn't do anything. He felt kind of like a pointless addition, only there to fill some sort of arbitrary mutant quota.

As for the inconsistencies with The Last Stand and Origins: Wolverine, I suspect they were intentional. I don't think Singer was terribly interested in maintaining continuity with movies in which he had no part, and good for him. Those two pieces of :censored: deserve to be ignored.

My rating: X out of X (:shifty:)

6. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry but I still don't see how "one" thing like Jean & Storm in the blackbird in "one" film is evidence of a tendency of loose continuity in the X-Films. Other than Halle Berry changing accents from X1 to X2, those films flow into each other flawlessly.

7. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i may watch it one more time, as i thought it was really good, but i won't watch it more than twice till its out on dvd.

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I don't usually go to see movies in the theater more than once (The Dark Knight was the last time I did), but I'm definitely considering going to see FC again.

9. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Did twice already and I'm still trying to convince my husband! :)

10. HoneyBLilly

HoneyBLilly Commodore Commodore

My sister's gone twice.

My husband, the traitor, has gone once.

I have yet to go, but already know the whole movie thanks to them.

11. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

My sister took her boys to see it the day before I went...when she got out of the theater, she was textin' me spoilers.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read an interview a few months back where Vaughn said that if the series continued he hopped to set each film in the series in a different decade. So 2 would be in the '70s, 3 in the '80s and so on.

13. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

For the 70's we MUST have the Dazzler!

14. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:techman:

15. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

She was actually created in the early 80's

16. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

I don't why, but for some reason this guy appeared in my head when I read that. Please don't hate me.

17. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

That Wasp Angel thingie is an 00s character transported into the 60s.

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

For that matter, I want to see her (onstage performing, not going into battle with the X-Men) in her full original "Disco Dazzler" regalia. The blue face make-up, the roller skates, the silver skinsuit, the disco-ball lecklace, the whole nine yards!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And she was out-dated almost before she was introduced! :lol:

Besides, Uncanny X-Men 130 was cover-dated February 1980. Given the lead time in producing comics, I think it's safe to say that she was actually created in the late '70s.

[​IMG]

;)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  19. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I'm still puzzled how Mystique pulled the Shaw impersonation, complete w/helmet, when she hadn't yet seen him in that outfit.

Immediately recognized that one of the two Nazis in Argentina is played by Ludger Pistor, who played Herr Meier in Lola Rennt (Run Lola Run).

I thought the Havoc Hula Hoop power was ridiculous looking.

20. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Apparently, he wasn't terribly interested in maintaining continuity with the movies he directed either.