Firefly's Sheperd Book

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Othello, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

Did they ever explain why the Alliance was so quick to help him when he was shot and they took a look at his credentials? Also, some of the knowledge that he had that was unusual for a shepherd to have? I've seen all the episodes and the movie and don't remember them doing so.

2. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

SPOILER

One of the comic trilogies seems to imply he was under their employ and that the employ had been terminated (during that comic).

There a graphic comic novel coming about his past.

3. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

A friend of mine has a theory that he was an Alliance operative (Well, duh! you all say...) who was responsible for what happened at Serenity Valley, and that's why he quit and became a Shepherd.

4. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Given his discussion with Mal in the movie, I assumed he used to be an Operative.

5. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

Yeah.. that's what i assumed too but I wasn't sure if they ever actually addressed it and I just missed it...

6. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

No, it's never been actually addressed. However, as Tharpdevenport stated, there is supposed to be a comic coming out that tells some of his backstory, although it should have already been released by this point. Also, apparently there was a browncoat cruise in 2007 where Ron Glass states Derrial was not the shepherd's real name, but the name of a man he had killed. As far as I know that's all the backstory there is so far.

7. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed....

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: It's of interest to me how much you seem to know about that world.
    Shepherd Book: I wasn't born a shepherd, Mal.
    Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: You have to tell me about that sometime.
    Shepherd Book: [pause] No, I don't.

8. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If we wasn't an operative he was definitely something else in the inner circle.

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

My theory, he wasn't an Operative, but he did work in Alliance Intelligence. Then he wanted out, so he created the persona of a priest and lived that life, eventually making his way to Serenity. He kept enough credentials of his actual identity should the need ever arise to reveal who he was, like it did that time he was shot.

Hey, that's my take on things anyway.

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It was my take, as well, that he was an Operative for the Alliance who still had "some pull" with some of his contacts.

11. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

Siiiiiiiiiigh. I hate that this is all conjecture. We should just be able to point to, like, season 3, episode 17 of Firefly which would've delved heavily into Shepherd Book's past.

Sorry, I watched Serenity in BluRay last week and am just bitter about Firefly having had it's life cut short.

12. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Count me in as another who thinks Book was an Operative in his previous life.

13. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

For anyone who's interested in one group of Firefly fans' interpretation of Book's past, check this out.

14. darthraidr

darthraidr Commodore Commodore

i'm another who thinks Book was an Operative. i think the story of the Operative in Serenity is a re-telling of Book's story. By the end of Serenity, it's not a leap to see the Operative going off to some secluded place, finding religion and at some point, years later, trying to reconnect with the world again.

15. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

That's the same thing I thought.

Then he find a time machine and he's sent back in time just in time to get on board of Serenity at the same time of Simon and his mysterious suitcase... ;)

16. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I like that we don't know. I guess too he was a Operative. But I think it's good that they didn't explain it and just left him as a man with the past. The way Serenity ended with him was good.

17. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wouldn't be surprised if The Shepard's Tale never comes to be.

18. Theonethatis

Theonethatis Commander Red Shirt

I always thought the story of the Operative in Serenity mirrored that of Books past. Oops I guess someone else had the same idea. I guess I should read the whole thread before answering. But yes I agree that The Operatives story is Books Story, and maybe the Operative becomes a Shepard.