Will the new enterprise be larger than the TOS?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by sunburn800, Feb 2, 2009.

1. sunburn800

sunburn800 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

We now have a rough idea on the size of the new bridge that coupled with a couple of pics of the shuttle from the film leads me to believe that the new enterprise is indeed larger than the original. Any thoughts on this?

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

My guess is that it's bigger.

3. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

Not very much, if any, judging by the size of the airlocks and viewports.

4. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed.

Just throwing this out, but was the TOS bridge set to scale for a ship that size? It always seemed smaller than it should have been if you discounted wide lens filming and angles and such and actually tried to judge scale by the number of steps the actors took.

They promised larger spaces on the Enterprise for TMP and we kind of got them. I think this ship will seem larger just because we will see many more large spaces.

5. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Kind of? Engineering and the Rec Deck don't even fit inside it!

6. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Look at the shot from the trailer of Kirk looking up at the ship being constructed. YOu can spot a few people walking around on scaffolding.

Yes, it's a lot bigger.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Yes, it was. It fit quite neatly into the dome on the model if one got the scales right - but of course, doing so absolutely required the turbolift to line up with that cylinder on the back of the bridge exterior so that the main viewer was rotated 36 degrees to port. :)

8. JuanBolio

No, not really:

[​IMG]

That thing in the little red circle is a guy walking. He's the perfect size to fit into the decks as laid out in the TOS configuration. Its not any bigger.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

That guy is a couple of pixels high. Any scale estimates you make this way could easily be off by twenty percent - or more.

Likewise, using the airlocks or windows for scale reference requires the assumption that they are the same size as on the ST:TMP ship, and this is unestablished.

10. JuanBolio

The same argument can be used against those who say its bigger.

Don't get it. We haven't seen anything to suggest its significantly larger or smaller, yet some people insist its been scaled-up to star destroyer size.

11. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

The saucer seems to be about the same size as TMP's Enterprise. The secondary hull diameter seems smaller on this version. Maybe too small. And with new version of the saucer lacking that undercut area like that on the underside of the real 1707 and 1701-A, then it's likely to have more volume in this saucer.

So- lacking any real information on it's size, a slightly larger saucer coupled with a slightly smaller secondary hull, may give us a ship with a similar volume to the original Enterprise.

I may not like the new ship as the Enterprise, and I may subscribe to the built in space club, but I really do love that picture above of it under construction.

12. SGCSG1

SGCSG1 Lieutenant Red Shirt

If the early American settlers had to fight dinosaurs would they win if the Man from U.N.C.L.E. went back in time to help them?

13. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

It's not so much that we want the star destroyer ENTERPRISE, so much as we would like to see a ship with more space! I mean I've allways been botherd by the fact that you have 500 crew men on board a flying tin-can( No Offense ) for 5 YEARS! and NO ONE GOES STIR-CRAZY!!!:wtf: I mean something the size of the Excelsior seams more resonable and realistic.

14. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

I think we're talking something on this order...

Like I said before, it doesn't look like the Enterprise, it looks like a parody of the Enterprise.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2009
  15. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

You can keep saying that, but it won't make people agree with you.

16. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

I think that looks pretty good. :)

This is a parody of the Enterprise...

http://forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/Steam Trek.jpg

Anyone else have pics of good parody examples?

-=MadMan=-

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2009
  17. JuanBolio

Doesn't look that bad, to me, really:

[​IMG]

For the most part, I still prefer the original, but this new Enterprise is actually pretty slick. If this had been the original model they used in TOS, and the old ship were the new one, would you still think it was a better design?

18. Captain Pike

Captain Pike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like the new ship alot, with just one exception - the arched nacelle struts.

In a way it?s kinda cool and very retro - in that in profile view the ship seems to have straight up and down struts much like the originals, and unlike the TMP refit?s very slanted struts.

However, front-on the curvature puts me off a bit.

19. trekkerguy

trekkerguy Commodore Commodore

Yup, looks like the Enterprise, but futuristic. :bolian:

And slightly bigger wouldn't be too bad.
    For certain things it would make sense.

20. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

That's like asking if my aunt had balls, would she be my uncle? It's nonsense.