DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. Admiral_Young

Looks like DC is trying to tie in "Batman: The Dark Knight" closer with "Detective Comics" now.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/Gregg-Hurwitz-batman-dark-knight-detective-zero-issues.html

I still think that Joe Chill is going to be revealed to have been a Talon, or if not that, some kind of connection with the Court.

Also Buzzfeed conducts an interview with Geoff Johns regarding Batman: Earth One.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/exclusive-batman-re-imagined-an-interview-with-g

Apparently Bruce is written as a bit of a dick as a young man according to the interviewer who read the graphic novel and Alfred is "bad ass" (even though I've always considered previous incarnations of Alfred as being bad ass). Still, I'm looking forward to this book, have been since it's initial announcement. I just hope that Johns writes this Batman differently than the Batman in Justice League.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  3. Admiral_Young

Aquaman #10: Enjoyed this issue a lot as we delve into the past between Arthur and Black Manta and Shin is focused on as well. Is the Operative a new character? Or someone that Johns has brought back? I'm not familiar with him at all.

Batman Incorporated# 2: Morrison focused on Talia on this issue and she's given a "new" origin...although I'm not sure what exactly is new about it. We see Talia as a young girl for the first time I think, and that Ra's apparently met her mother at Live Aide in London then shunned her many years later and claimed she was dead. No mention of Talia's sister Nyssa from Death and the Maidens (possible this was what was retconned out of Talia's origin). We then see the Doctor Daark introduction of Batman saving Talia from Daark. We get the Son of the Demon stuff that Morrison has used before, he corrects his mistake that he made in "Batman and Son" by having Talia drug Bruce before sleeping with him. It is implied that this is the conception of Damian (as it was in Batman and Son, only it made more sense in the previous continuity). What's weird is that we get a glimpse of Talia making her pitch to Luthor's Secret Society from Infinite Crisis (which I believe is not supposed to exist in the 52'Verse, which again makes me question how this is supposed to even be in the New 52'Verse when Morrison constantly make reference to things that aren't supposed to exist). It is heavily implied in this issue that Talia's love of Bruce was something set up and manipulated by Ra's. Chris Burnham's art is simply fantastic in this issue as well. There's a lot going on as well. This is something of an intermission almost.

4. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't read Batman Inc #2 yet, but I have read the two Justice League titles. I've held off on All-Star Western because I'm burned out on Court of Owls tie-ins just now (three of them in titles I regularly read).

I like the main JLA title while I read it, but it's like I can't remember most of it ten minutes later. The design for Graves isn't too bad, but I'm a little annoyed that Johns went with the Asuras. They never appear in comics before Buffy season 8, and suddenly Johns has the I'm-sure completely independent idea to also use them? Right. Green Lantern is still being written as though he were 17, but Batman and Superman work in this title. I'm slowly being sold on Cyborg's inclusion: he's basically Jarvis with an exo-skeleton. The title makes references to recent events in Wonder Woman.

JL Dark was fantastic: best issue yet with a "holy crap" moment on virtually every page. Faust is played like someone we should all know and disdain, so I assume some of his history is intact. The new 52's Constantine is becoming his own man pretty rapidly. And a Father Time reference. What more could you want?

Steve Trevor is quickly becoming a favorite character in the new 52 on the strength of his appearances in the JL titles.

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

It's Woodstock. This is the original origin for how Ra's and Talia's mother met according to Denny O'Neil. The only differences are that 1) Morrison's Ra's was already batshit insane and evil and 2) she helped raise Talia according to O'Neil's origin and was killed by one of Ra's men gone rogue.

6. Derishton

Okay, I've read Batman Inc now. Oh hoho. Delicious.

The concert can't be Woodstock now; the stage seems to point to something like Live-Aid, with the world in the shape of musical instruments and the fundraising. Love the panel where R'as' eyes have little Batmans in them. I should know who the girl in the blue sweater is standing behind Batman and scowling (on the page where Batman "rescues" Talia) - is she the Batwoman Kathy Kane fought in Batman Inc part 1?

I read the Birth of the Demon trade DC released last year, containing the O'Neill stuff. We both see Talia's mother die at the hands of the rogue follower, and we hear she died of an overdose, across the three books collected here (IIRC). So the possibility that she's alive is a further complication indeed.

Also: I, Vampire 10. More holycrapholycrapholycrap. It's always been a beautiful series, but this issue has some battle scenes that are gorgeous. I also think the conversation between the professor and the Van Helsing leader was great, especially the latter's sense of the "long view" - "supers" are just the next vampires.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  7. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

8. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I did enjoy Daniel's first issue of Detective Comics (52), but since that issue, it really went downhill. Wasn't horrible, but i think he's done everything he can with the character, and wish him well in his future projects. I'm looking forward to who will be coming onto the book.

9. Admiral_Young

Yay! I really hope they put a decent writer on Detective...and yeah it can't be Woodstock, Rich Johnston in his review of the book states that it is Live Aid in London and like Derishton states the stage is set up differently.

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Read Earth 2, #2 out of curiosity on "gay Green Lantern" and actually ended up liking the book overall, may have to pick up #1 and follow this one and drop a Batman book (probably TDK.) This issue's more primary focus was on Earth 2's The Flash with the future Green Lantern in the "B-Plot." But it was a decent book.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think one of the reviews I read said that the stuff with Green Lantern in that one was just set up for one of the next issues.

12. Admiral_Young

13. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh good, so now the clone of Bruce Wayne's "father" is killed by a relative of the same guy who iced Wayne's parents?

One more reason why "Epilogue" is the single worst thing Bruce Timm's ever made. It's a magnet for stupidity.

Making Terry the literal son of Bruce undercuts the entire thesis of Terry's characterization to the point of self-parody. And that episode was initially going to be the second DTV Beyond movie after ROTJ.

14. Admiral_Young

Will be picking up the following tomorrow:

-He-Man and the Masters of the Universe #1
    -Batman Earth One
    -Action Comics #11

15. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I know this is last week so I won't go into it with detail but I just read I,Vampire #10, All Star Western #10 and Aquaman #10 and felt all 3 were great reads! Back story on Black Manta was worth the price alone.

16. Derishton

I don't think the thread is busy enough these days to worry about being too late to discuss any given book, Captain Craig!

17. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really think we need to consider starting some new threads about individual books we wish to discuss. This thread has become nigh impossible to keep up with. It's kind of like trying to discuss Mad Men, the TWD, the Killing and Breaking Bad on a single thread about AMC.

18. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think that would work very well. You'd get some action in an all Superman books thread, Batman and Green Lantern but everything else would get buried after a few posts.

Example: I think there are only a few of us reading I,Vampire, JLDark, Aquaman or All Star Western. We wouldn't fill up a whole page for each issue, nor does each issue require that much discussion.

Now that the nu52 is essentially a year old we could label a new thread just DC Comics talk.
    Frankly we need something like that for Marvel as well.

19. Derishton

I second the new omnibus thread idea, although I suppose you could do threads based on each of DC's "groups" (although that would mean JLA and JLDark would be in different groups, and All Star Western is essentially a pseudo-Bat title anyways).

20. Admiral_Young

I too don't think it a good idea to create individual threads for books...this thread has served us well for the past year already, and we've been pretty good at giving our reactions and reviews of books. Having individual threads would just flood the board and there's no real guarantee that those threads would be maintained or updated as much as this one has. As @Captain Craig rightly points out, some of us aren't reading various books or have dropped books over the past year and only sticking with a select few.