Marvel planning Guardians of the Galaxy movie!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

He may have. But his duty is to protect Asgard, not Midgard.

That and the fact that the Elves seemed to travel by something closer to conventional space travel makes things more confusing. However, it's honestly not something worth overthinking. The Nine Realms are unique because there are nine of them. They're different from the hundreds of thousands of habitable planets in the universe. I wouldn't think about it any more than that.

2. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Yes, I mean in the comics.

3. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Which would not be the MCU. Which is what was being discussed in the theory.

4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

The comics are still helpful to understanding the MCU

5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Why can't the Local Group be "Midgard"...or the Virgo Supercluster for that matter. Thor said we've only glimpsed part of Yggdrasil through Hubble, so maybe most of it is beyond out observable universe.

*Note for those not up on astrophysics: that doesn't mean it's in an alternate universe. The "observable universe" is just the objects who's light has had enough time since the big bang to reach us. There's a lot more out there that we can't see because the light is still route...of course by the time that light gets here, those objects would be long gone...but then so will we, but I digress.

Really though I'm thinking the Nine Realms are just terminus points of a cosmos spanning network of wormholes, with Midgard (Earth/Sol, specifically) being at the central crossroads. With that in mind, there's going to be vast expanses of space in-between, from whence the likes of the Kree, Shi'ar, Skrulls etc. are to be found. And I mean *VAST*.

Clearly this network is not the only way of getting around (see: the tesseract), but I'd wager it's probably the widest ranging and fastest way to hop from one side on the universe to another. This is probably the real source of Asgard's power since that realm appears to be in a dominant position, better connected than the others but not as vulnerable on all sides as Earth is down at the centre.

Then why did Asgard protect Earth from the Frost Giants?

That's besides the point though. The point I was making was that if he saw it, Odin would have been made aware and so too would the likes of Thor, Loki, Sif, etc. Plus the way Sif said it, implies that Asgard has been keeping watch.

It's not "Rest easy, Phillip, son of Coul. I don't actually know for a fact but I'm sure if Heimdall saw any blue aliens here, he'd probably do nothing, except maybe leave Odin a note."

It's "Rest easy, Phillip, son of Coul. None of the others have ever visited Earth." She's stating it as a fact, as if she has good reason to make this assurance.

Yeah, she's wrong and that's what has me wondering. Can the Kree, or whichever race that nicked off with Star Lord really move about under Heimdall's nose? To date we've only seen other Asgardian's pull this off. The Dark Elves were able to get very close, but he was able to detect them. Loki could sneek right past him without him even knowing.

Like I said though, it's a mis-used term that doesn't actually mean anything. "Alternate dimension" implies that we exist in one, when in fact we exist in at least three simultaneously (possibly more, but let's try and keep this simple.)

Basically put, Asgardians, Frost Giants, Dark Elves, the other inhabitants of the Nine Realms we've seen and the worlds from which they come are all within the same three dimensional Euclidean space as we are. If they're from an "alternate" anything, it's alternate universes that are very similar to our own. But that's not how things have been presented. Indeed they've been pretty consistent in that Yggdrasil is a physical thing and the Nine Realms are all operating within the same space-time continuum.

Also, I really wouldn't use Trek are a basis for these frames of reference. Indeed it's one of the worst offenders for misusing or inconsistently using scientific terminology, to say nothing of the gibberish they flat-out made up. You may as well cite the demon dimensions from 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' for all it's scientific accuracy.

6. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Well I don't think Star Trek has ever misused the term "dimension" for "quantum reality" except in the original "Mirror, Mirror".

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Pretty sure the term "quantum reality" is a made-up one. Indeed the way it's presented is a pretty loose interpretation of the branching universe theory. Again, using fiction as a reference for real science is generally not a good idea.

Indeed I think it's not a bad thing that the MCU has actually *corrected* the way the comics have presented these concepts. I'm not faulting the likes of Lee or Kirby, who have made no pretence of scientific knowledge (nor did it matter for what they were doing at the time) but with the way the films and TV trying to ground some pretty out there stuff with at least and impression of reality, then it's good that they're using *actual* reality as we currently understand it, rather than just hand-waving it.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  8. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Saw The Winter Soldier today which is the first movie I've seen in the theater in a while. I wouldn't have thought it would make a big difference but I liked the trailer a lot more on the big screen than I did watching it online.

9. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

FWIW, I warmed up to the trailer a bit upon seeing it a second time and in the theater as well. The film is still nothing that I'd be planning to see if it weren't specifically part of the MCU, but I have a slightly better attitude towards it. It'll be interesting to see how they flesh out the non-Asgardian interstellar side of the MCU.

10. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Anybody read the 'Guardians of the Galaxy: Prelude" that Marvel is putting out. It's the first of two issues. The first issue focused on Nebula and gave a bit of back story to her. It was kind of interesting, but of course nothing too interesting will happen in these two issues since it's just a set up for the movie.

I'm curious if we'll get a little of Star Lord in issue 2.

11. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I saw the trailer before The Winter Soldier and the movie looks like it'll be alot of fun.

12. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

This past "Avengers Assemble" featured the Guardians.

Good of them to seed them into the cartoons with the movie coming up.

Ultimate Spider-Man did it last year.

13. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was excited when I saw the words "Space Knight" in the title; I had thought we would get some Rom lore such as Galador and Dire Wraiths. We may yet see that stuff pop up somewhere; Marvel owns everything about Rom except Rom himself.

14. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll just leave this here: Nathan Fillion Hints at Guardians of the Galaxy Role

15. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

^ It's probably just a voice cameo. Or maybe a brief appearance as an alien with heavy make-up?

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

He'll be a computer voice!

17. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

18. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Great, except it's region locked.

19. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

It doesn't really show you anymore than what is in the trailer. It has a few more shots of the scene where Star Lord gets the Gem, that's about it.

20. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

It would seem that Stan Lee has filmed a cameo, a scene "with a very pretty girl", for GotG after all.

I wondered if this might still happen. Right after it was all over the net that he wasn't going to be in GotG because "He didn't create any of the characters" (Wrong answer, Stan! You created Groot!), I saw him at a con in Portland where he said that wasn't doing a cameo because he "hadn't been asked", so I wondered in there was still a chance.