Could some meteorites be starship debris?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Lookingglassman, Mar 16, 2013.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's waaaaay too boring. Don't you watch science fiction? Every time something BIG and unexpected happens, like we just had in Russia, it is NOT just a rock.

2. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Of course I watch science fiction. I've even read a lot of the novels and stories from the "pulp" era.

But I'm also an adherent and admirer of Carl Sagan: "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

Therefore, show me the proof.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Some of us like to pretend that we live in a world of (hidden) science fiction. Wonder and all that. Of course this is bs but it's a pleasant bs.

4. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

At least that what the government controlled media reported to you.

Gov Kodos, this is fantastic, is it from a movie, or an art project?

:)

5. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    It's from an old episode of Doctor Who, 'The Hand of Fear'

6. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I'm quite familiar with the concept of "wonder." As I type, I'm downloading a bunch of Hidden Object games from Big Fish - filled with all kinds of gothic-y wonder and steampunkish stuff. I'm also in the midst of reading Ben Bova's newest Grand Tour novel, Farside, about building an astronomical observatory on the far side of the Moon, using nanotechnology. And I'd love it if I stumbled over some cosmic mystery or adventure next time I go downtown on my errands.

Yes, it's "pleasant bs"... but the ultimate wonder is what RL science discovers. And that's why a rock is sometimes just a rock. Mind you, I have a special affection for rocks that have traveled a long way... such as from outer space.

This is Eldrad, from one of the classic Doctor Who episodes of the Tom Baker era (and Lis Sladen's final story as a regular Companion).

7. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Ever see the original Outer Limits episode "Corpus Earthling"?

8. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Maybe they're fragments of Clay People from Mongo.

9. Kommander

Kommander Commodore Commodore

What is it with Russia and exploding meteors?

If aliens are responsible, why do they hate Russia so much?

10. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I too always wondered why so many meteorites tend to hit Russia, while none seem to ever hit Monaco. Strange world.

11. scotpens

Simple statistical probability. Russia is honkin' BIG.

12. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Monaco being such an enormous country and all...

13. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Could some meteorites be starship debris ?

No.

14. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Would sort of blow apart anyone who takes the Bible literally.

15. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes. After John Harrison 'detonated' Starfleet, the pieces were sent back in time through a subspace rift kind of like the Enterprise C.
    The detonated pieces of Starfleet are pissed at JJ Abrams for screwing up their timeline and are attempting to take him out in order to exact revenge.
    However, their attack plan was flawed because they were mistaken in believing that everything in the Trek universe was inwented in Russia, and as such, they directed their attack on Russia assuming that JJ was there. Stupid debris...

16. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

That is why I do my best to avoid the oceans, as well as Russia. Would not want to risk the high odds of getting hit by a meteorite there. I mean, what if the meteorite is a time capsule from the future carrying spoilers for Star Trek XIII? I would not want to suffer a heart attack learning that Brent Spiner is back playing Data's head buried under San Francisco.

17. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Not according to The Book of Prometheus, written by Ridley the Apostle:
    So first, let's get to that opening scene. "...[the] sequence at the beginning of the film that is fundamentally creation. It’s a donation, in the sense that the weight and the construction of the DNA of those aliens is way beyond what we can possibly imagine," Scott said.

With that bit now nice and explained, let's get to the bigger question -- what did we do to make God/our creators angry? Well, if you theorized that it was because we crucified Jesus, you win! Confirming that at one point the script explicitly spelled this out, Scott says that was the direction they were taking with the story -- at least at first. "We definitely did, and then we thought it was a little too on the nose," he admits. "But if you look at it as an 'our children are misbehaving down there' scenario, there are moments where it looks like we’ve gone out of control, running around with armor and skirts, which of course would be the Roman Empire. And they were given a long run. A thousand years before their disintegration actually started to happen. And you can say, 'Let’s send down one more of our emissaries to see if he can stop it.' Guess what? They crucified him."

So in short: Jesus was an Engineer, we fucked it up by killing him, our creators got mad and then hatched a really, really long and elaborate plan to kill us off. So in a weird way, "The Passion Of The Christ" could also be viewed as part of the "Alien" universe.... if you really think about it.... Or, after that, the Engineers simply abandoned humanity, we evolved, and they got pissed all over again when we came knocking on their door.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...ust-ruin-the-mysteries-of-prometheus-20120614

[​IMG]

18. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe they LOVE Russia and are protecting it by blowing apart the meteors with their Ray Guns.

19. scotpens

Damn right!

[​IMG]

20. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That is the most disturbing shirt ever.