MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

That ... that doesn't make any sense, at all, and I'm really wondering where you've heard such a suggestion. There isn't anywhere near enough square footage in the concourse to fit everything in the Hall of Fame (its website says the museum has more than 38,000 artifacts, three million books and documents and 500,000 photographs, and the building is three feet tall), and it's not like exhibits could be kept outside. Moving the Hall of Fame to any outdoor stadium is basically completely unfeasible, and it's not like there's a reason to move it from Cooperstown in the first place.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was on baseball-fever.com.

3. Timby

Between "Telephone Park" and moving the Hall of Fame to Wrigley Field, I'm thinking you should stop reading that website, or at the very least stop re-posting things you read on it, because they make no sense whatsoever. :p

4. Mr. Laser Beam

^ trust me, the strangest thing you ever hear somebody say on that site is chump change compared to this place. It doesn't even have its own TNZ. :D

5. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I saw my first Cubs game at Wrigley just two years ago. I loved Wrigley, don't want the Cubs to play anywhere else.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Timby

I grew up in Chicago. Used to go to 15 games a year.

It's a great place to watch a game.

It's an absolute shithole for players.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I feel the same way about Fenway. Great history and all that, but a modern facility would be nice.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Whose exactly the hell idea was it to argue for an overturn of the hit during Dickey's last Met start? What a dumbass move that was. R.A. wouldn't want to get a no-no this way. And we all know the call will not be overturned anyway. So why bother?

Look, I like Terry Collins, but if this was his idea, he's got a case of recto-cranial insertion.

9. Tom Hendricks

I'm with you on this, that was a hit. No way no how is a ruling change going to be made. If they didn't overturn Galarraga near perfect game, they aren't even seriously considering this 50/50 at best chance to throw him out.

10. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I suppose it'd make for a cool bit of nostalgia for them to play there one more time, but at the same time...The Stick was the home of the '60-'99 Giants and should remain that way. And yes, they built the place in the exact worst spot where the wind from the Bay would whirl around inside. I have distinct memories of going to games and freezing our orange and black asses off. AT&T gets cold, but nowhere near the level of The Stick.

Yeah, I'm all aboard the "stop quoting that site" train along with Timby. They clearly don't know what they're talking about over there. For what it's worth, most fans just call it "AT&T Park" while some still refer to it's original name, Pac Bell Park, although there are many that would prefer Mays Field. I just call it "home away from home." :)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  11. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Forgetting the falling concrete, I wonder about the condition of the structure you can't see. Have they ever x-rayed all those exposed beams?

Then add the cramped conditions, the cramped location, etc. I wonder if it's possible all those things affect morale in the long term.

I mean, they go to all those great new parks and see what they're like, then they go back to Wrigley.

12. Timby

It's bad enough for Cubs players, given the antiquated workout and practice facilities, people in the bullpen staring right at the sun, a near-total lack of amenities, the cramped conditions, so on and so forth -- those have even had a measure of improvement over the last decade or so, and they're still shit.

When visiting players come into Wrigley Field, they must feel like they just went back to the minors. The visitors' clubhouse in Wrigley is one step up from a closet, and for fuck's sake, the batting cage is underneath the right field bleachers.

If fucking Yankee Stadium can be blown up and replaced, the Cubs can get the hell out of Wrigley.

13. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

If that same play happens in the 8th or 9th inning of that game, instead of the first, I'll bet my lunch they call it an error.

Dickey is a nice story and having a great start to the year. He's gotta be a favorite to start the all-star game at this point. If he is still pitching like this in September, we can discuss the Cy Young.

I went to Wrigley about 10 years ago. It was cool to check it out, but it can't shake a stick at the modern stadiums over the last 15-20 years or so. Fenway is a pit with awful sight lines. I'm not sure where you'd build a new one though. I don't know as much about Wrigley, but I lived along the train line that goes past Fenway for 4 years so I know that area well. It's pinned in by the surrounding neighborhoods pretty well.

I went to college in the Bronx, and saw a lot of games at the old Yankee Stadium when they were winning titles around 2000. It wasn't much to behold, and while the new stadium looks awesome, it's still in an awful area. Citi Field is nice, but felt really sterile when I went, like a neutral site. It's also oddly angular and played like an airplane hangar until the moved in the fences. There's also nothing near the stadium as far as restaurants or bars to make an evening out of it. A flask on the 7 train is the way to go.

I'm all for new stadiums with nice amenities and other things to do nearby. Foxborough is in the middle of nowhere, but they got it right with Patriot Place.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

The new Fenway would have been built between Brookline Avenue and Boylston Street. Basically right next to the old one.

15. SmoothieX

Interesting. I'm still not sure how they would have pulled it off given that the existing one abuts I-90, the commuter rail, and the T.

I used to see docs in the Longwood Area. I would go for blood work in the morning, then back for my appointment later in the afternoon. I spent a lot of time - when I wasn't gorging myself in Chinatown - hanging around that area. The timing never worked to go to a game since I always had to be back to see the doctor at 3:30 or 4.

4 years in Boston and I never went, how pathetic. Or the Celtics or Bruins, who both won titles when I was there. Took in plenty of Pats games though, including a couple of snow bowls.

I got a short season A ball team near me, they should be starting right about now, I really need to take in a game.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

^ I like Fenway Park very much, actually. I had a great time there last fall. I don't think it's run down at all. I estimate it's got 30-40 years of life left in it. They've actually done a good job keeping it safe to use and renovating it when needed. Unlike Wrigley, of course.

17. SmoothieX

The only time I went was pre-renovations, and I thought it was an utter dump. It may be much different now.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

^ It is.

BTW: How long ago were you there? In the mid/late 90's, Fenway kind of was a dump - that's why the Sox were pushing for a new stadium (IIRC, the only reason they didn't actually build it was the Boston City Council wouldn't let them). But they've done a great job renovating the place.

19. Tom Hendricks

See what happens when you live in New York, you have to put up with someone like this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  20. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Count me as one Yankee fan who thinks that car looks hella stupid. :rolleyes:

(I draw the line at license plate frames and team hats/T-shirts, myself.)

And in other news: Roger Clemens not guilty of lying to a congressional committee...

And in much better news: Ike Davis hits first career grand slam! W00t!!!! :techman: :techman:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012