Star Trek Movies: 2-Disc Special Editions Set

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by CaptainMatt, Mar 6, 2012.

1. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So I recently bought the set with Star Trek 1-6 in their two-disc special editions. Have yet to watch any of them but am happy to finally own them all. Anyone else have this set and enjoy the first six feature films? This set may not be the in thing or available everywhere now with the new sleeker modern versions, but I prefer these editions over those. :techman:

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I own them but prefer the blu-rays. They have a crisper picture and are the original theatrical cuts.

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are there deleted scenes on the Blu-Rays, like for The Wrath of Kahn they show the scenes that the ABC version showed? I'm still debating whether to get the blu-rays or not, since it would be considered double dipping, even though I only own the original discs of Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock, Voyage Home, First Contact, and don't even own Nemesis.

4. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nope, only the theatrical editions are on blu. No extra scenes in the films themselves and only TMP has deleted scenes in the bonus features.

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I easily prefer the theatrical versions of TMP and TWOK. The others (i.e. TUC), I'm not as opinionated about.

6. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Without doubt, the theatrical cut of TWOK is superior - I was delighted it was chosen for the BD.

7. Ssosmcin

I always prefer the versions I fell in love with and since I saw all the Trek movies on Da Big Screen, I'm thrilled with the Blu-Ray versions. Although, I do love the DE of TMP. Nick Meyer's added scenes in both of his films add very little that is positive to the experience for me. However, I do recognize that all the versions should have been made available on the discs. There's room for them all. Ah well, there will be some double dippin' in time for the next movie no doubt.

8. tomalak301

That kind of sucks. I've actually never seen the ABC version of TWOK, so I've only heard about scotty's nephew scene. I do like that the theatrical versions are there, but since it is blu-ray, I thought we were going to get a lot of extra/good stuff. Sounds like that's not the case.

9. Ssosmcin

Not in the current editions, no, but you can bet your Mego Action Figure Collection that they will release them all eventually. Although the DE of TMP might be problematical, unless they redo the new effects in higher resolution.

I held onto my DVDs of TMP, TWOK, and TUC because of the additional scenes (een though, honestly, I hate the extra stuff in Trek 6).

10. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the original takes selected for TWOK's theatrical release are generally better than the alternate ones sporting the additional dialog. The delivery of the lines is snappier somehow. It's not a fair trade just to get the additional dialog.

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

By whom, your mother? ;)

What's so evil about "double dipping"? Revamping DVDs and BluRays, adding new bonus features, redesigning packaging, adding new commentaries: it's how they keep the ST movies "in print". Otherwise they'd gather dust in stores and slip into obscurity forever.

12. RyanKCR

RyanKCR Vice Admiral Admiral

I prefer the ABC version of the scene in Spacelab when they decide to leave. The dialog seems to flow better and feels more natural.

13. tomalak301

Well, there is the cost, but who is taking consideration of that? ;)

14. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

I still wish they could have restored the presidential civilian advisors pushing for war, you can still see them in the office when they are watching the trial, and some of the longer dinner scene.

I remember reading that the first cut of the dinner scene was 35 minuets long and that alot of the actors were disappointed with the final edit because it cut a lot of stuff.

15. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It's not as if you're spending the money all at once. Double-dip re-releases are usually years apart, and the old, supposedly "rare", versions usually hold their RRP (or much more) on eBay.

What it really needed was a three-hour debate over the rescue of the Andorian ambassador from the surface of Sylax IV.

16. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I bought a 10 movie box set a few years back (20 discs). Nice features and commentaries. I enjoyed seeing a different version of the movie however I still prefer the theatrical cut. Specially for TWOK. I think i'm just too used to that version, runs smoothly. Of course I can own the original on Blu ray sometime :bolian: