Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

The fights are part of the book and not merely promotional images. That's whole point of the book. It is their "fight" book while the main event book focuses on the actual story.

@Captain Craig...Kaine is still the same Kaine as was mentioned in the flashback sequence. He was killed in the excellent Gauntlet arc as a sacrifice to bring back Kraven the Hunter. The Kravinoff clan actually thought it was Peter since they needed Parker blood. Kaine then was resurrected (again as was shown in the flashback) by the Queen at the start of Spider-Island based on the Jackal's recommendation. He was cleansed though and has new powers. He is still the same character we first met during the Clone Saga, and yeah he's doing this to basically honour Ben's memory and as part of his own redemption. Peter kind of helped him during Spider-Island. They actually had a really awesome dynamic despite everything that has happened between them in the past. They acted like brothers lol.

2. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

those are promotional images. from Tom Brevoort's Formspring:

http://www.formspring.me/TomBrevoort

3. Admiral_Young

Okay bad job on me...I was under the impression they were promoting the battles actually happening in the fight book. A couple more from today. I believe this article has all the images. I absolutely love the Humberto Ramos Spider-Woman Vs Gambit. I've become a HUGE fan of Ramos' recent work since joining Amazing Spider-Man.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/avengers-vs-xmen-teasers-120109.html

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  4. Admiral_Young

Avenging Spider-Man #3: What a fun book this has turned out to be. The opening arc concludes but instead of appearing to be just a one off, the final panel reveals that perhaps the Moloids and the Mole Man are going to be involved in something larger. I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel is using this book as a means of seeding other stories. I think the next issue features Cap! The fifth issue has Hawkeye in it. I hope we get an arc where Peter teams up with Jessica (Spider-Woman). The art is fantastic as well.

Avengers #21: I'm enjoying the HAMMER WAR more in this book than I am in New Avengers. Don't know why. I'm glad John Jr. is off the art in this book though. As much as I am a fan of his, he just wasn't the right artist for this book. The Hammer War is unfolding somewhat interesting. I just hope it isn't another one of Norman's lame revenge schemes. He has all of this power now and still continues to abuse it. Sigh.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

From my Marvel pile I read:

Moon Knight #9 - This was a good issue. As the story unfolds it bounces back and forth between what is going on right now and what happened one week ago. Last week, Marc is talking to his ex-SHIELD armory aide Buck. In the present he's fighting Count Nefaria. At each jump a demonstration is further made for how Marc is utilizing Cap/Spidey/Wolverine in his battle with Nefaria which far outclasses him. These tricks supplied by Buck at Marc's request are helping him stay in the fight. A tragedy happens in the fight when
    hit center chest by Nefaria's eye beams. Seemingly killing her although the next panel cuts away so the full extent of her injury is really unknown at this point
    . This action causes Marc to go full Wolverine with the Logan voice in his ear calling for blood.
    Anyone keeping up with MK knows he's battled to push the bloodlust, last pushed on him by the inner voice of Khonshu, out of his system. So how will issue #10 go? Does the inner voice of Cap & Spidey reign Marc/MK in?

Ghost Rider #9 - It's official, I'm bummed this is getting cancelled and this is the last issue....or is it? They took 8 issues and 2 arcs but at the point they conclude explaining/introducing Alejandra as GR, her ties to Adam(her mysterious surrogate responsible for guiding the GR to her and away from Blaze) and acceptance of Blaze as mentor the series is over just as it's getting started. This issue was the second of a two parter with Hawkeye. Now I say last issue cause those keeping up know it along with X-23 were announced as cancelled back in Nov'11. This issue had the obligatory 'The End' on the last page and there isn't an issue solicited for Mar. The Alejandra, female hosted, Ghost Rider however does appear next month in Venom #13 as part of a saga called Circle of Four. Then on the last page a smaller announcement with a picture showing Alejandra's GR on the cover says, GR returns in March??

6. Saga

i read the first five issues of Ghost Rider and the only issue i even remotely enjoyed was issue five.

7. Captain Craig

^^^^
    I found some enjoyment in the other 4 issues but I don't argue the pacing was a bit slow.
    Ironically I'd say you quit reading as the narrative was starting to tighten up. Issue #6 wrapped up the initial explanation with Adam. Then 7&8 were the Hawkeye issues where Blaze, at the conclusion of 8, is accepted by Alejandra has a new mentor. Thus replacing Adam which proved he only had used her and was not of noble steed like she had thought.

8. Admiral_Young

I notice Marvel has started really pushing Hawkeye in most of their books (I know it is due to Avengers this summer) I find it somewhat funny for some reason.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

He's the break out star. Coulson better watch out.

10. Captain Craig

So true, I had noticed that also.
    The Ghost Rider two-parter that just wrapped.
    Avenging Spiderman, upcoming issue #4-5
    The Captain America and... book of which he stars in the 1st arc.

Personally I'd rather have more Black Widow.

11. Saga

i thought some stuff was silly, like Mephisto giving Johnny a giant spaceship shaped like a motorcycle. but if you say the last few issues were good then i may go back and read those eventually.

12. Captain Craig

^^^^
    Yeah, the spaceship ride shaped like a motorcycle was a bad artistic choice. I really think the artist was more suited to drawing Alejandra, maybe why they chose that artist. I thought the portrayal of Johnny was a bit skinny and that the renderings of him lashing out, like when he was trying to kick down the metaphysical door to Mephisto's realm just looked off. I think the script for that read well but the art applied to it gave it a sillier feel.
    Johnny still is drawn too thin for me but I feel the story does sharpen up through issues 5-8. The first four though, yeah I think they were still getting their footing.

Read Avenging Spiderman #3 last night.
    Overall a good issue. Yes, I know it's a Spidey title but I was bummed Hulk was out of commission for half the issue. Thought that at this point JJJ should start acting like an adult and just accept Spidey is a hero. Some of that dialogue was just OTT silly imo. A grown man on the downside of the age curve holding onto that type grudge ends up destroying himself...ask Ross. I agree with, I think it was Admiral Young, that they dropped a few nuggets for Mole Man to reappear with a grudge later on, but soon most likely.

13. Admiral_Young

The stuff with Jonah bothered me. Slott has Jonah in a kind of truce with Peter after the death of Marla. He still yells and acts like a crazy man but he's not as pompous as he was written in this book which was over the top. There was some amusing moments between the two though. I really liked Peter's speech to him.

14. Saga

the Mole Man plot will be picked up in a future issue of Daredevil. Avenging Spidey has been a lot of fun so far.

15. Captain Craig

I may have been the only one in this thread reading it but after Bendis is done with Moon Knight at issue #12 and wraps his story the book is cancelled.
    Sales were falling they say but that runs contrary to how the numbers look in the Previews Top 100 from issues 6-8. Rank was, if I recall, 92-->87-->78.

I think they just wanted to cut another book.

A poster at comicbookresources ponders if this move could be incoming EIC Alonso cleansing the board of outgoing EIC Quesada ideas of which Bendis on MK with this "hook" was one.

Anticipating a new MK hopefully coming out of A vs X this summer.

16. Saga

i've been reading Moon Knight...but i really don't like the way Bendis has been writing him. the whole Spidey/Cap/Wolverine personalities doesn't make sense to me...even though MK is crazy.

17. Captain Craig

Yeah, agreed. I didn't like the idea of the premise when I heard it. It reeked of Bendis not being able to think outside the "Avengers box". He didn't embrace what made MK, MK.

I read it in hopes of once Bendis left a new writer would get us back to a more familiar Marc Spector. *Sigh* Maybe next series.

18. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, that's what? The third dead Moon Knight series in the last five years or so?

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Dare I ask?

20. Admiral_Young

^ You may ask...sorry little joke :) Yeah I haven't been a fan of Bendis' Moon Knight, or the created personalities. I'm sure there will be a writer that takes up the challenge for yet another volume. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a mini-series or something for later this year.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012