The 12th Doctor's Wardrobe Revealed!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Mark_Nguyen, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Huh? "Generally assumed" by whom? According to her entry on the Tardis Data Core, the novels, audios, and comics have all portrayed her as a Gallifreyan. There's nothing in the entire article about any work claiming that she was human or that she died after a single human lifespan.

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

As much as I don't want to learn everything about the Doctor's past, one thing I would love to see cleared up someday is the whole granddaughter thing, and how the Doctor apparently had this family at one time that was never mentioned again. I just think it'd be a shame if the show never took the opportunity to revisit Susan while Carole Ann Ford is still around, and have her and the Doctor catch up and interact one last time.

3. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Hartnel did vary a bit now and then. For example, in later episodes he had a white cravat or whatever he wore while in earlier ones it was dark.

I think Troughton's trousers varied a tiny bit and maybe he had some different hancacheifs now and then.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

One thing I've never been clear on, since "Power of the Daleks" is lost: When Hartnell regenerated into Troughton, was Troughton originally wearing Hartnell's clothes, or did his clothes change in the regeneration? It always kind of seemed to me that Troughton's outfit was basically the same as Hartnell's but baggier because he was smaller, but I'm really not so sure.

5. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

The Doctor's family has been mentioned several times over the years in The Tomb Of The Cybermen, Curse Of Fenric, The Idiot's Lantern among others. But not much about Susan and I agree it woulld be nice to know about her fate after The Five Doctors Special, but then I could the same about a large number of other companions.

6. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

He rarely takes off his wedding ring

http://www.hypable.com/2014/01/28/p...leman-film-doctor-who-in-cardiff-city-centre/

7. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm surprised that Susan and her and the Doctor's family has never been followed up on. Seems like great potential. I would love that.

Mr Awe

8. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The costume did change - but it's not clear if it was meant to be literally the same one or not. It was still a combination of coat, shirt and pants, but the design had changed and it was obviously ill-fitting, and the new Doctor never bothered to change into something that DID fit. The "reconstruction" includes narration that notes his clothes as having changed.

However, the first Doctor's ring survived the transition and the story made a point of the Second Doctor taking it off and letting it fall to the floor. I choose to believe that it was supposed to be the same, but the Second Doctor quickly changed into his new outfit as they landed quickly following, including the first of the strange hats he wore.

More from a recent article:

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2014/01/29/the...tm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+sfxrss+(SFX)
    Mark

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  9. davejames

I think it was probably meant to be the same outfit, but one that simply fit a lot worse on Troughton than it did on Hartnell. Back then producers probably didn't expect audiences to care as much about continuity, or pay as much attention to what a costume (or TARDIS set) looked like from episode to episode.

10. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ford has reprised her role in the Big Finish audio adventures several times. I know she's been reunited with the 8th Doctor on a few occasions (along with her grandson), and I'm sure she's done a couple of the Companion Chronicles audios too. Though I agree it would be cool for her to pop up in an actual episode at some point.

11. chelly

chelly Commander Red Shirt

Sorry I thought I had hit quote but I didn't. My post is referring to this comment :

"RoJoHen wrote: View Post
    The pants seem a little long in the crotch, but that might just be the style. Or the crotch. "

They will ride up with wear. Sorry Couldn't resist doing a quote from "Are you being Served"

12. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Let me add to the 'generally assumed' by whom? line of questioning...

13. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/a...prises-guests-at-bbc-worldwide-showcase-event

Peter Capaldi surprises guests at BBC Worldwide Showcase event...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I still hate the pants.

15. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

I'm gonna have to see it in action. In several episodes. He looks like a magician and, weeks later, I still think it's a bad choice for a costume.

16. davejames

I think the pants look fine (and a lot less cheap than in the promo pic). But I'm not sure about the one button on his coat though. Think it looks better with at least two.

17. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Me too. Perhaps his outfit will evolve? Or at least look better in action.

Mr Awe

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I may be wrong but I think the one button fastened is how the coat is supposed to be worn, also it probably allows more of the red to come through and as that's the only colour in the outfit this is a good thing.

It will come down to seeing in in action. He looked subdued but still Doctorish, even Ecclston managed to look like the Doctor so there is presedent, plus I guess you could argue Hartnell's outfit was pretty plain.

Personally I like it more than I dislike it, if that makes sense, and I like that there's a clear 20th Century vibe to all of the modern Doctor's looks, with the exception of Smith's Series 7B look, which didn't really fit.

Eccleston: 1940's U-Boat captain look.
    Tennant: 1940's Spiv/1970's detective/1990's Brit Pop look.
    Smith: 1950's professor.
    Capaldi: 1960's/70's Mod look.

Really the odd man out is Smith's Edwardian look.

19. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

The top buttoned coat gives it a Victorian flavour without actually bein Victorian, complimented by the white shirt.
    Not sure about the trousers, they don't really match the rest.

20. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

IMO, the Doctor should always have an odd sense of fashion in that there should be some parts of his outfit that don't really go together or isn't with current times.