Attention Vinyl-gang!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by trekkiedane, Aug 31, 2013.

1. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

On a couple of occasions some of the vinyl-fans around here have gathered in a thread in Misc. -and had a night of debauchery.

Obviously playing records is an indoor activity as vinyl tends to melt in direct sunlight. (don't do this at home; I've tried and ended up with a record that was so warped it was better suited for a ladies hat than for playing :sigh: )

So, if a global community (i.e. T-BBS'ers that are vinyl fans) is to gather around listening to vinyl records, it has to be during spring or fall (respectively).

Anyone up for a "Vinyl Night" one of these days? -I suggest we meet up next Friday (unless there is a consensus on some other day) and talk about our music, have a few drinks, and play some vinyl.

You up for it?

2. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

do I understand you correctly that you mean a physical meeting? People actually gathering up around a record player?
    Or were you rather thinking of a group chat or a thread here?

3. trekkiedane

The previous meetings of the vinyl gang have been threads.

You sit in your own home listening to your own records and come to the thread to talk about... well, anything really.

4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Heh. That takes me back to the 60s when it seemed almost mandatory for cars to have two or three warped 45s on the rear deck under the back window. It was part of the standard equipment. :rommie:

As for contemporary vinyl, the entire Beatles discography has been released on vinyl in a boxed set. I saw it down at Newbury Comics a few weeks, selling for-- I think-- about $450.

5. trekkiedane

Beatles you say?... dunno about "contemporary" but I've had most of this for over thirty years and some of it came in a box:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. rhubarbodendron

ah there are a few familiar covers that grace my shelves as well =)
    My uncle is a huge Beatles fan - he has every single song they ever published. Even some original (presumably bootleg-)recordings on tape. He kinda infected me.
    If you ever come to London, go to Baker Street. Right next door (well, actually left) to the famous 221B is a Beatles shop where you can get everything from genuine autographs and photos to records and fanstuff.
    http://www.beatlesstorelondon.co.uk/

7. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sure, but please don't wish the summer away, "Fall" as you insist upon calling it is not for another 3 weeks yet. :p

8. trekkiedane

^Sorry 'bout that... it was a cold and stormy night when I wrote it :rommie:

The Americanization of my language started the day I signed in here the first time. And in this particular case the spell-checker couldn't help as the word also has another meaning :sigh:

9. RJDiogenes

Well, on the calendar, Fall is several weeks away-- unofficially, it begins after Labor Day, when school starts and the new Fall TV season begins. Although that seems to be changing of late.

10. rhubarbodendron

Hmmm, there aren't that many songs about fall/autumn. Perhaps that's because not much rhymes to either?

11. RJDiogenes

"My spirits hit rock bottom
    When Summer turns to Autumn...."

12. trekkiedane

I'd say much rhymes :p

13. rhubarbodendron

LOL, this is what I get, trying these links:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access fall on this server.

ROTF!! I sooo love these accidential jokes :D

14. RJDiogenes

I guess that means you get a longer Summer. :D

15. rhubarbodendron

Looks quite like it. The sun is scorching today. Just went the 300 yds to my supermarket and back again and felt quite bowled over. The forecast says thunderstorms for teh weekend and showers for next week. The latter was to be expected, though: I have to sample 4 rivers and creeks on Wednesday and Thursday LOL.

As for our treasures on vinyl: today they played "My Friend The Witchdoctor" on the radio =) My parents have the record (it's actually a shellac disc, not a vinyl one). It was my favourite when I was 3. I wouldn't go to bed without hearing that record first :D I still like it a lot.

16. trekkiedane

Might as well continue here...

Currently listening to this:

[​IMG]

Oh, btw, I'm now putting rum in my tea... bit of a cold night out tonight...

ETA: A bit later...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  17. trekkiedane

And after this I quit taking snaps of them:

[​IMG]

But by then it had crawled very close to bed-time anyway.

18. rhubarbodendron

Compared to my one, your record player is bordering SciFi! Mine still has tubes, no transistors, and a second needle for shellack records and it can play at 4 different speeds: 76 (shellack records from 1890 to WW2), 45 (singles since 1949), 33 1/3 (vinyl LPs and shellacks pressed after 1945) and 16 rpm (certain shellack records and early vinyl singles from the 50s) :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    that arm in the middle is useful: you insert a slender metal bolt in the opening in the middle of the player and stack up to 5 singles or LPs on it. The arm holds the tower in place. When a record is finished, the next one will be released by a clever mechanism and the pick-up automatically gets set back to start position again. Handy when you're having a party. =)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  19. trekkiedane

^Beautiful machine you have there Rhubarb :bolian:

I'm currently using the one dad gave me when he decided to go all digital:

[​IMG]
    Sharp Optonica from late seventies/early eighties (but that's just me guessing)​

Before that I moved around a lot and had therefore invested in this model:

[​IMG]
    Sharp VZ-2500 w. BSLT record player.
    (Both Sides play - Linear Tracking​

ETA: right now I've put on this:

[​IMG]
    The World is [Wide / Wonderous / Strange]
    by the then ONLY alternative to our ONE TV-channel.​

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  20. rhubarbodendron

stylish players! They look very good! The second pic reminds me a little of the first generation computers with the magnetic tape spools.

My player is from the early 60s. I pinched it when my parents got a new one and intended to throw this one away. I have a very small modern one (well, comperatively modern - it's 30 years old) but that one needs to be taken apart occasionally - it runs a bit too slow. I guess it needs a thorough cleaning and perhaps re-soldering of one or two contacts. I'll have a look at it tomorrow, perhaps, if the forecast is right and it does rain.