The Newsroom Season 2 returns on July 14th!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by FPAlpha, Apr 12, 2013.

1. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

For all fans of the show some good news finally..

Tea Party enemy show, the scourge of the hard Right Wing Republicans and the most boring series for the unwashed masses will return on July 14th!

http://www.hitfix.com/news/hbo-sets-newsroom-return-for-july

I for one can't wait to see them cover the presidential election and whatever other news broke :techman:

2. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

That's still quite a long way off. I had hoped for a June premiere. The premise of the premiere sounds quite intriguing and I'm definetely looking forward to the new season. I must know what Will's message to Mac really said and more importantly, she needs to know. :lol: Anyway, we got left with some interesting cliffhanger-like developments. Will blackmail ultimately prevail? Will the love rectangle be resolved?

I'm not sure it would still fit into the time frame of the season and it probably makes me sound rather tasteless but I would love to see the show cover Sandy. After all, the show is based in New York.

3. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hear that Mitt Romney will play a prominent role in season 2. I've heard that Patton Oswald is going to join the cast. I just ordered cable again after a 4-month break and I will be able to get HBO. Aaron Sorkin remains one of my favorite writers.

I hear that the blackmail will ultimately lead to a lawsuit and that Reese will probably be bringing it. There's supposedly a lawyer joining the regulars. I was glad they found a way for the security guard to stick around. I think Allison Pill's character will not be marrying Don. I can't see it happening. Mac and Will need to get together this season. Period. Really looking forward to July.

4. Hunter X

Hunter X Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have toyed with the idea of starting a thread speculating on what news events they'll cover in the new season. My guesses:

1. The presidential elections, natch.

2. Hurricane Sandy makes sense, mostly for the reason Count Zero mentioned (the show takes place in NY)

3. They've got to be doing something on all of the gun violence last year. From Aurora to Sandy Hook, it's too prominent for Sorkin not to get into. Plus, he did a fair amount of episodes on gun control issues for The West Wing. Maybe the actual events won't be directly referenced due to matters of good taste, especially Sandy Hook, but there will be a gun control plot line at some point.

'Course, I say all of this without knowing when the scripts were written or when episodes were shot. So maybe some of these events were too recent to make it into season two...

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I'm really looking forward to this. I watched the first season on a whim and ended up absolutely loving it. :D

6. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

YES! I've been looking forward to this! Just today I was wondering when the next season would premiere.

Also, GRRR! July?! I DON'T WANT TO WAIT UNTIL JULY! I WANT IT NAO!

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

You sound just like Verruca Salt.

8. HaventGotALife

Yeah, I remember when Martin Sheen was shot in Rosslyn, CJ said "the President wasn't the only victim of gun violence last night." I remember the conversation between Sam and Ainsley Hayes about guns in season 2. "You don't like the people, Sam." "This White House that loves the Bill of Rights, except the 2nd." Trying to sue the Klan after Josh was shot at Rosslyn.

It does feel like this is post-Sorkin in a lot of ways. The relationship with Will and Mac seems like Casey and Dana in Sportsnight, Matt Albie and Harriet Hayes on Studio 60. The focus on political news is like West Wing, although without the fictional universe. All the shows are littered with characters that want to do their job in the orthodox manner. There's just a lot that he's done before.

The difference is that Newsroom is better than SportsNight or Studio 60 (the comedy was bad). And I think that's important, but it means Sorkin has become a little predictable.

9. Guy Gardener

He's not predictable to people who are ignorant of his work.

How is it Aaron's fault that we have consumed and remembered everything he's put in front of us?

Most writers have in them just one story they trying to tell again but more perfectly.

Aaron has at least 3 stories.

SON OF A BITCH!

I just put my Sports Night season one DVD on... And every episode quits after 10 seconds and follows through to the next which the quits after 10 seconds and...

The perils of internet fracking piracy.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  10. HaventGotALife

Still, it's hard not to draw comparisons. Judd Hirsch's meltdown in the beginning of Studio 60 versus Will's "America is not the greatest country in the world anymore" rant.

I still think "The West Wing" is the best of Sorkin's work. The dialogue was tight, the actors were amazing, and the stories have aged well and were layered and insightful in the realm of politics. "Newsroom" is probably second. Studio 60 third, and SportsNight fourth.

Sometimes it's just playing it safe, too. A real writer challenges himself to tell more than one story. He's become a little formulaic.

Take Stephen Spielberg. He's done everything from Lincoln to War Horse, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Saving Private Ryan, E.T., Smash, Indiana Jones, etc. He's had a long and storied career and that's a great artist. He's not the writer, but he doesn't use the same camera angles and lens filters for each scene. You can't see a Indiana Jones movie and know when he has a fingerprints on a piece.

I think he's done too much writing. He becomes the only guy in the room and he's popular so he can get away with telling the same story over and over again. An artist challenges themselves. He's almost become a caricature of himself. He uses the same phrases "Reasons passing understanding," for instance.

11. Guy Gardener

The Sports Night pilot is a mess. Half the cast is making a drama and the other half is putting together a comedy and the laugh track is inconsistent, and who but a speed addict is going to force his exwife to wake up a seven year old at almost 11pm to see a track and field event?

Sabrina Lloyd. Wow. Still wow. Always wow.

12. HaventGotALife

I love "Six Southern Gentlemen of Tennesse" and "The Apology" from the first season. "Cliff Gardner" is a good episode from the second. They had some real gems, but the show too often repeated themselves, which is incredible considering each episode is only 22 minutes long. It's just not his typical fare.

13. Guy Gardener

Joshua Malina gets less nasal every episode because he had no idea he was playing the romantic hero as well when he started... It's almost as if he wasn't reading any part of the script but his own for the pilot.

Robert bowed out on this show for health reasons... BUT HE'S STILL ALIVE!

A recurring these with Aaron I am seeing is fathers and sons, I'm remembering the young up and comer trying to convince his dad that who's on first is amazing and that his life had value because comedy was as important as building a bridge.

Watching the World Trade Centre veer up in all the cutaways is disturbing.

14. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

There already was some of that in last season due to the attack on Giffords (covered in "I'll Try to Fix You") and when Will countered the claims of some Republicans that the Obama administration was trying to take away people's guns.

Now that you mention it, I think they started shooting right after the elections so we'll probably just get up to that point. So Sandy Hook probably won't be included.
    Hurrican Sandy would make for a very dramatic background to the season finale but then the season would end without covering the election results.

15. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorkin could just use what appears to be his favourite trick for The Newsroom: Flashbacks. The finale will take place during the night of the election as the cast act oddly towards one another due to unexplained events, while the meat of the episode will be set during the emotional events of the hurricane. Throw in some unresolved romantic tension between the entire cast and you have an Emmy-worthy script.