House 5x02: "Not Cancer" - Discussion and Spoilers

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Trekker4747, Sep 23, 2008.

?

Grade the Episode:

1. Excellent

24.1%
  2. Good

51.7%
  3. Average

24.1%
  4. Bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Terrible

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

2. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same here, though maybe a little less so on the first point. He's interesting enough, and I'll look forward to seeing how they use him in the future. But please bring back Wilson before Christmas. :)

Not a bad episode, but not a great one either. I haven't voted yet, I'm torn between Good and Average on this poll. In the Most Subtle Overlooked Joke department my favourite line was Cuddy's: "Why does it cost $2,300 to fix a coffee machine?"

And if I may be allowed a small moment of drooling masculinity... I wish the blonde tennis player had been the POTW. She was hot. :p

3. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

I'm glad someone else said that too, because I was wondering if I had just missed a beat or something. There seemed to a higher "gross out" factor than I recall form most of the previous season.

The PI-Friend seems like a capable replacement if it's not for too long. We get a bit of the type of exchange there would have been with Wilson, while we're waiting for the writers to bring back Wilson regularly.

Just please ... may they not do so in some cliche fashion, though. There has to be some long-running and lingering effect.

One question ...... this episode seemed to have less of the usual House ascerbic wit than usual. Maybe it was just me, but I didn't find as many of the sharoly launched barbs I've come to love.

4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Perhaps that was a deliberate choice on the writers' part?

On a slightly related note, I had a dream last night where Hugh Laurie played another irascible character with a strong wit, but this time as a pharmacist at a grocery store. I think William Daniels was also featured. The show had been made prior to House (in my dream) but then suddenly I was part of the show, or rather the nature of the show was real and I was part of it (like so many of my Lost related dreams). Very strange and amusing. :lol:

5. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Not sure if its been mentioned yet (too man posts to read :lol:) but that PI guy is the David Shore choice for the House (P.I) Spinoff...

Good episode and I loved the P.I dude and think he would make a good choice for a spinoff show though does anyone know if its planned for 2009 fall or 2010 midseason ? The replacement Wilson had it moments but we do need Wilson back though I am losing any sympthay for Wilson.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  6. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

I thought the PI going to get his own show?
    Love tonights ep. best line why does it cost $2500 to fix the coffee machine.

7. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

He will have a recurring role for some part of this season and then should FOX greenlight it, David Shore wants to create a spinoff of sorts with the P.I character who I thought was very good tonight. I already know the actor from a few episodes of Scrubs were he played a returning US Ranger who had been injured (good friends with Zach Braff in real life).

The show will most likely air in the fall of 2009 or midseason 2010.

8. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

Yeah, Michael Weston (the PI) was also in Zach Braff's movie Garden State. I like him - I could see a show being built around the character.

9. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

^^ thanks for mentioning the Scrubs assocation - I've been trying to remember where I knew that guy from since the first time he turned around as the very expensive coffee machine fixer :D

Voted Good. Bit below the massive standards last week set, but the House/Wilson scene was superbly done and PI man seems like a cool addition to the cast.

10. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm the sole "Average" vote so far.

To me, the episode's pacing felt a little off. Also I wasn't completely sold on House's PI--not a bad character by any stretch, but he was a bit too nonchalant considering House's antics with the drug switch. The character felt a little out of place in the House universe, like someone out of Burn Notice or Psych instead.

11. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^I'll vote Average too, so you won't feel alone. :)

12. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I completely forgot about that. I would watch.

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I probably would too. I kind of liked his character and the argyle socks. :lol:

14. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ He reminded me a lot of House for some reason too.

15. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Funny ... he reminded me more of Wilson. Able to stand up to House, get him to think along necessary lines, possesses a good amount of wit... and still something pitiable.

16. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

He reminded me as an anti-House. Not good at lying, not as confident. About the only similarities I see between him and House are being good at his job and good at spouting off informational platitudes.

17. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ I agree with that to an extent. It was mostly as he was talking to the team when he was repairing the coffeemaker that I had that impression.

18. The Nth Doctor

So am I the only person who couldn't stand that guy? :p

19. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Then your not going to like the spinoff :lol:

20. The Nth Doctor

Well, I thought the very idea of the spin off was dumb in the first place (back when we first heard about it over the summer), but now I know it'll be dumb. :p