Robert e Howard,Edgar rice Burroughs & H.P.lovecraft comics & books

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by timothy, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Robert e Howard,Edgar rice Burroughs & H.P.lovecraft comics & book

My bad, got mixed up there. Haven't read Mountains, but it was The Call of Cthulhu which reminded me of Kong... and Del Toro has said that he was concerned that a post-Prometheus Mountains movie would feel too similar to the Scott film.

Sure, if you wanted to be depressed out of your mind! It's one thing to read about a whole family (literally) falling apart; it'd be quite another thing to watch it.

2. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My favourite Lovecraft stories are "The Colour Out of Space" and "Rats in the Walls", but I have a hard time imagining the former as a movie - the specific idea of an unknown colour is part of the story's charm (and I feel it'd need to be padded out to film length, which is why Lovecraft's longer work is better suited).

Giger had an artbook called the Necromonicon... so... yes.

Though Mountains was effectively scrapped a while before Prometheus, so it's quite an academic comparison. And Mountains - with its wintry Arctic secret city inspired (as Lovecraft repeatedly reminds us) by a Nicholas Roerich painting and elaborate history of the various terrible Old Ones - is sufficiently different and more narratively satisfying.

3. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lord of the jungle #9 comes out this week :)

4. timothy

Lord of the jungle #11 is out this week .

5. timothy

Lord of the jungle #13 is out this week :)

6. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston

The end of the Prophecy crossover was a lot of fun. I am looking forward to the storyline about the fallout in Red Sonja. 'The Crimson Well' sounds like a great story. Also, 'Red Sonja:Unchained' picks up from Red Sonja: Blue and also is off to a good start.

7. timothy

I would love to see e.r.b's the venus pirates series be done in comic form

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

"The Colour Out of Space" has been filmed at least twice, as Die, Monster, Die with Boris Karloff, and The Curse with Wil Wheaton (really). But, yeah, neither really works.

9. timothy

The final john carter of mars book is now aviable on the nook only $.99 very cool. Though this one is written by his son and contains 2 short stories :)

Also the the venus pirate stories have been showing up on my nook has any one read these?

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Solomon Kane movie is now streaming on Netflix. I hope to watch it soon.

11. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

It's okay. Far worse films out there. Doesn't quite capture Howard's Kane, IMO, which is a tough thing to do.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not familiar with any of Howard's stuff (yet), I just thought it looked like a cool movie. Howard is one my very long list of writers I plan on checking out sometime in the future though.

13. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

REH is a good writer, and when you consider he was writing in the 1920s and 1930s, he was way ahead of his time. The last Conan story he wrote 'Red Nails', is one of the most amazing things I've ever read.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

How close would you say the current Dark Horse Comics Conan series is to the original Howard stories?

15. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

My bad, got mixed up there. Haven't read Mountains, but it was The Call of Cthulhu which reminded me of Kong.... [/QUOTE]

While watching a very stylish film:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beasts_of_the_Southern_Wild
    I began to wonder what it would take to bring HPL's creation to life...

I understand that Mr. Joshi is a consultant for Del Toro's possible movie At the Mountains of Madness. The talk is that Prometheus may have stalled the production.

It may be better for him to focus on a new write for Call of Cthulhu itself.

Here are some possible suggestions.

We see in the 2005 King Kong what would have been perfect footage of R'lyeh, as was the island rising from the sea we saw in Superman Returns. Freak waves, enormous sinkholes and other examples of chilling topology are perhaps best filmed as introductions to a modern voyage of the ship ALERT II, perhaps investigating this or similar sounds:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloop

I have heard it said that there actually was an island ( perhaps a natural gas blow out in the ocean that was circled by Navy ships for a time. This may have been a release by methane hydrates clathrates, so this is topical with regard to rising sea levels.

A tie in to the previous ship ALERT (From Call of Cthulhu) would allow for a sense of dread to build, as the story moves back in time.

In this vision Cthulhu would not actually emerge from the large door, instead just the vapors. That or the Dread One would not be depicted on screen immediately. Children are rather jaded today. The action figure of the creature in ALIEN was considered too scary, but now kids might find an octopus headed, winged figure like something from Power Rangers.

Instead, you would focus on vapors causing natural disasters following ley lines. HPL found his entities embodiments of cosmic principles. As it turns out, there actually was a tentacled horror that descended from the skies in March 18 1925, around the time the original ALERT was to have made its voyage:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-State_Tornado

Many tornadoes have horizontal vortices after all, like the monster which struck Alabama in 2011:

http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/showthread.php?27601-Tornadoes-with-Tentacle-Like-External-Vortices!!

Sea Monster described
    http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthr...d-Tie-Downs-On-Aircraft&p=2145086#post2145086

Having these things dangle with a pale eye visible to a character would give a hint of Cthulhu, although appearing more like Ithaqua, the wind walker.

The idea of the film is that HPLs Call of Cthulhu was itself an inspiration given to HPL when Tri-state was striking, after actually being summoned. The devastation caused by freak waves and storms are needed to slay enough people so that a true physical manifestation can be allowed.

The movie ends in scene almost from "The Road."

But here, the short story that would introduce the Dread One at last would actually be more faithful to this tale:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_the_Moon_Brings

Here the main character looks at a distant reef that is being revealed as huge tides pull the sea from the shore:

"I saw that the reef was but the black basalt crown of a shocking eikon whose monstrous forehead now shown in the dim moonlight and whose vile hooves must paw the hellish ooze miles below, I shrieked and shrieked lest the hidden face rise above the waters, and lest the hidden eyes look at me after the slinking away of that leering and treacherous yellow moon...And to escape this relentless thing I plunged gladly and unhesitantly into the stinking shallows where amidst weedy walls and sunken streets fat sea-worms feast upon the world's dead."

This is how the movie ends, with the reveal right before the final credits, as a more human head with tentacles right below the eyes in the distance is revealed in an almost hyperreal fashion:

http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2009/11/mind-blowing-hyperrealistic-sculptures/

Roll credits.

This is the only way the dread one can be shown without it devolving into camp, a kaiju film, or the octupus villain of the week out of mighty morphin Power rangers.

16. Gov Kodos

This thread looks good for this. Dynamite is offering up a crossover of The Shadaow with Lovecraft: 'The Shadow Over Innsmouth' It looks like a fun one-shot and I enjoy Ron Marz's work. http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=22779

17. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

That's a very clever idea, and I remember Ron Marz as being a decent writer back in the day. Unfortunately, the art, like a lot of contemporary comic art, looks very stiff and sketchy and computer generated.

18. Gov Kodos

I can take this art over the last issue of She-Hulk. That was not my cup of tea at all.

19. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I haven't seen that, but a lot of contemporary art doesn't do it for me. It looks like photos run through a cartoon filter in Photoshop.

20. Gov Kodos