Karen Gillan cast as one of the leads in Guardians Of The Galaxy

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Lt. Uhura-Brown

Lt. Uhura-Brown Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Lead villain? So it'll give her an excuse to bitch at everyone. Again.

Careful there, Karen, you're in danger of getting typecast.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

An interesting villain who faced off against the 30th century Guardians of the galaxy was Wolverines daughter Rancor. Becuase their blood line is practically immortal, the family credo was "If you can't kill someone and take their shit, wait for them to die of old age, and then take their shit."

Nebula is Blue, with blue hair. That's hot. My money is on Nebula, unless they invent someone new?

HAhahahahahaaahahahahah!

Just because Karen is a hot skinny red head, it doesn't mean that she's going to play someone hot, skinny and female.

What if Karen is playing Thanos?

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wolverine named his daughter Rancor? Comics....

4. Slugboy

Slugboy Commodore Commodore

I think part of it is the stereotype of actors wanting to move to the United States to make big money. Arguably, the United Kingdom is the source of the richest, most varied and most original English-language movies and TV shows in the world, so a desire to leave that and go to the U.S. is seen as giving up the craft for money (whether such as assumption is actually true or not). Both Matt Smith and Karen Gillan are moving from the U.K. to the U.S., so everyone assumes "it's for the money". Hence the comparisons.

I suppose it's perfectly possible that the U.S. has similarly high-quality programmes, but if so, they don't advertise them nearly as well as the U.K. To a non-American non-British person like myself, U.S. programming means sitcoms and exciting "popcorn flick" movies (not that there is anything wrong with that---I enjoy many American programmes), while U.K. programming is more cerebral or interesting (Inspector Morse, Doctor Who, Yes Minister, Red Dwarf, etc.)

5. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

You're kidding, right? Just for starters, I have a hard time believing that you've never heard of HBO. I think it can be safely argued that the quality of American television series is without par right now, and has been for the last ten years. And even if you don't agree (but you should), the quality of independent movies in the United States is fantastic as well. There are many reasons for a British actor to want to work across the Pond that don't include money.

6. Guy Gardener

Cheap family American programming, like Family Matters, Full House, Step by Step, Seventh Heaven and Saved by the Bell is rerun ad nauseum for the last 30 years all across the world.

Children have been programmed with this first impression of America which is not a compliment and sticks, no matter what they learn in later life about "HBO".

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I guess the other think about the US is just that there are more opportunities full stop. Plus these days I think it’s eminently possible to work both sides of the Atlantic; look at Alex Kingston and Gillian Anderson as examples.

8. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I thought she became quite good in Who, later on. Karen was excellent in 'The Girl Who Waited', in my opinion. Not only as regular Amy, but she convincingly played a mature woman in her 50s.

I always knew she'd go places. Good news for her.

9. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think some in the US think all British programming are period dramas.

11. Guy Gardener

Well, if you count the future as a "period" then %75 percent of Doctor Who is.

12. Guy Gardener

it's still a spoiler since the comic where this happens doesn't come out till tomorrow, but there's a new hot female Redhead joining the Guardians of the Galaxy.

It's Angela from Spawn.

[​IMG]

13. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

Well...huh! That was unexpected.

14. Guy Gardener

Karen said that she was going to be the villain so this seems like just a coincidence.

The sexiest thing about her is her voice (and temperament.), so what accent is she planning on using in this movie, no matter what character she is going to be playing.

Imagine if Death was Scottish?

(Imagine if Death wasn't Scottish?)

Although, the thing about Death in the Marvel Universe is that she is somewhat tight lipped, so Karen might not have any actual lines whatsoever despite being a very heavy figure in the line up. Although a really good sigh, or an eyeroll and even a tactical snort could be right in Karen's wheelhouse.

Besides, Death is beyond good and evil, so Villain doesn't fit here either.

15. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Not all heroes start as heroes

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Angela sounds like a riff on Valkyrie or Wonder Woman. Not sure what she brings to the GOTG or the Marvel Universe. I think Gaiman must have gotten more out of the deal that just money. Not sure what Marvel thinks they got. Angela isn't exactly A list.