Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Spock/Uhura Fan, Sep 7, 2012.

?

How do you feel about the Spock/Uhura pairing?

Poll closed Mar 6, 2013.
  1. I LOVE them together! :)

47.5%
  2. I generally think they’re okay together.

18.0%
  3. Not my preference, but I don’t mind them together.

21.3%
  4. I HATE them together. :o

13.1%
  1. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

sarcasm? :lol:
    if their romance is easy...

think about it from this perspective: first of all there will always be the fact that while on mission duty comes before their feelings for one another so if one of them goes to a dangerous mission they can't stop each other because they're worried. There could be a day where they have to choose to save their captain instead of their loved one and they might have to watch the one they love be in danger or get severely injured.
    The relationship could have been "forbidden" while they were at the academy but still he's always half vulcan and always trying to control his feelings but he couldn't control his feelings for her.
    Someone, I think in this thread or another, said that the transport pad scene from the other movie was like the allegoric "coming out" for Spock because he wasn't hiding his feelings (for her and in general) from the world anymore and no one judged him.. (aside from some fans, of course - ironically - ;) but I'm talking about the characters)
    but anyway it will never be simple for them.

As for tragic, well they have evidence that in another reality they never got together and I wonder how that make them feel and if it makes them scared for the future.
    Though I think it's more tragic for Spock Prime. I wonder if he has regrets about his life not necessarily for a romance with her (but why not? ) but in general because he never allowed himself to feel certain things and be truly happy. I wonder if he regrets not having a family (aside from the crew and his friends) and if he ever feels alone. Watching young Spock with his girlfriend could be a bit painful for him and it could symbolize all the things he lost or never got.

nope. By Vulcan custom they were both free to date who they wanted and choose who they wanted. Being promised to a little girl when you're a kid doesn't equate having an actual real relationship with someone.
    Besides, wasn't Tpring in a relationship with Stonn in the other reality?
    At least this Spock, if we go by the last comics, had ended things with her when he went to the academy and before he even met Uhura and he made her free to pair with another if she wanted.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't kill my joy at the prospect of forbidden love Malaika.

I can hear T'Pau now..

"Yu vill NOT mate vis dis hoo-man Spock."

3. Malaika

T'Pau was awesome and I think that deep down she was fond of the humans so who knows maybe she'd tell him to ditch T'pringle for the far more interesting human creature ;)

4. teacake

Well she did have that fling with Archer in her youth, so maybe she does have some lingering affections.

Though really she was just being a Surak groupie at the time.. still perhaps Archer pleasantly surprised her.

5. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

In order for the Spock/Uhura romance to be interesting to me it either has to be forbidden eg Starfleet or Vulcan bans it or tragic where say Spock has to make a decision between duty/Kirk and Uhura. Otherwise its just going to be pedestrian/realistic like Keiko/OBrien.

Still nothing I've seen so far matches the epic Kirk/Spock/McCoy bromance of TOS

6. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Do you want to turn star trek into Twilight? LOL:lol:

I get your point, especially when you referenced Keiko/OBrien from TNG and Voyager. However it is not a fair comparison because Keiko/OBrien had 2 different TV series to grow as a couple.

Spock/uhura have only been in 2 films and their relationship was featured not more or less than 5-10 minutes in both films.

Lastly the S/U relationship is not the main focus of Trek. The Kirk/Bones/Mccoy bromance will always be the centre of Trek. their romantic encounters with women will always be secondary.

As for the whole forbidden love. the teacher-student thing is forbidden enough. Remember when he refused to put her on the Enterprise to avoid the appearance of favouritism?

I also advise you to read star fleet academy: the novel series. (its a book series that takes place before the 2009 film). While the series is not canon. it does shed light on the S/U relationship when she was still his student.

The series also develops the friendship between
    kirk/McCoy/Uhura and we also get to see the very first time kirk considered having sex with Galia. (uhura's roommate). Obviously by the 2009 film kirk/galia are already doing the deed.

I actually loved the book series. it just had that college feel to it .... Kirk been the big man on campus was just a plus for me.

I hope we get a new novel this year.

7. Malaika

Surak groupie ...accurate :guffaw:

no wonder why, that was a bromance this is a romance ;)
    I wouldn't want it to be too similar... :lol:

8. teacake

Even if it's not forbidden the relationship is always going to be challenging. It's not easy being in love with a Vulcan.

9. Malaika

I just saw this fanart .. how appropriate:guffaw:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

credit: http://anaeolist.tumblr.com/post/54310207757/i-just-want-there-to-be-a-thing-where-kirk-and

I've read them too, they're good ;)

Novels and comics sort of contradict each other a bit when it comes to the origins of the S/U relationship.
    In the novels it's implied that they get together when she could still be one of his students after they had been friends for years (the first novels= friends last novel= get together). They also start to be intimate sooner than in the comics (though nothing is explicit, there is only one hint of that and it's subtle)
    In the comics they start to date when she no longer is one of his students (but you can assume that like in the novels they had been friends before that and attracted to each other, they just wait for the right time to start dating) and they sleep together months later. He firstly wants to get inside her mind with the emafa kito (a mind touch performed between couples per vulcan courtship rituals) ;)
    I think though you can still link both versions and make your own headcanon based on both. The comics only showed some flashbacks because their format doesn't allow more than that, the novels on the other hand give to the author the chance to make you see more of the characters.

10. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I just don't want Spock leading Uhura on while still being engaged to TPring.
    Its not cool to be a player.

11. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

I agree that this is how it looked in STID, yes. So, congrats on that. I'm pretty much done with this version of ST, so I don't mind celebrating with you. I hope you get what you are wanting out of it, truly.

Why would it need to wait? There's already lots of video footage that has been released as previews and clips of the movie.

I was able to find a fanvid that took from footage that has already come out with the trailers and such, so here's something for you:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3PnF-OB9M8[/yt]

And to be fair, since this is an S/U thread, here's a recent vid and an older one I came across:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS--4IsIJdE[/yt]

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRR6LnYa-sw[/yt]

At least they'll go on well in fanfic...

12. teacake

It needs to wait, I assume, if it's from pirated footage and not from officially released footage such as trailers.

13. Spock/Uhura Fan

It's not. I watched all 3 videos to see if there was anything there that I hadn't seen in already released clips and trailers. I wouldn't have posted them otherwise.

It's no different than people who've taken footage from the trailers and made moving avatars off of them. Those don't seem to be a problem, so I'm guessing these vids aren't either (well, the last one is all 2009).

14. teacake

I know, I'm just saying the ones I recently watched on youtube were clearly from pirated footage and so, despite them being full of K/S goodness, I didn't think I would be allowed to post them.

15. Spock/Uhura Fan

Yeah, that's true, but you can still post pictures, clips, and vids that take from those. Let your frenzy run free. Where's that K/S thread?

16. teacake

Nah I'm waiting for the good stuff, the hours and hours of it that will soon be upon us :D

17. Spock/Uhura Fan

So, you're saying there's no good stuff out there now? Surely, you can find stuff. I know there's S/U stuff that's out, so why not dive into the Kirk/Spock that has to be out there too. For a K/S vid, the echo one I embedded just a few posts ago is good. It's up to you, though...

---
    Update:

And just so I'm on topic, another S/U vid. This one has some TOS in it too.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rt5u6ZgcWU[/yt]

18. teacake

I'm saying I'm waiting for the use of the full movie in vids.

19. teacake

[​IMG]

I reserve the right to make up all kind of euphemistic meanings for "the thing" :lol:

20. Malaika

I think that the S/U fans are just a bit lucky because the main S/U scenes are already released in official clips and trailers so people got those in a decent quality
    there are even some different takes of the scenes that can be found in behind the scenes clips
    Like the kiss in the trailers is a different take/angle than the one in the final cut

canon kiss (not pirate copy, it was showed in a video over youtube about Giacchino's score):
    [​IMG]
    version from the first official trailer:
    [​IMG]

In the final cut one it's way more obvious that he's leaning in for that kiss :p

It's funny to think that a scene like that in the movie is like one minute or something like that and yet can you think about how many times Zoe kissed him that day? I just picture JJ saying "one more time kids" over and over and over :guffaw:

this still was recently published in the star trek magazine and I think it's from a different take of the turbolift scene from the first movie because in the version we got he didn't touch her chin like that.

[​IMG]

I remember seeing some gifs over tumblr that were from a different take of the Kirk/Bones scene in sickbay from the first movie. I love watching this stuff though sometimes it can be bad because you wish they kept some things. The deleted scenes with Amanda from the first movie were good (Spock's birth and the argument between Sarek and Amanda) I wish they had kept them.