Best and worst ship/base assignments?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by JessDD, Mar 26, 2013.

1. JessDD

JessDD Lieutenant Red Shirt

I was thinking about this when I was watching a recent TNG episode, about how the Enterprise was the "best assignment possible".

So if the Enterprise was the best assignment for a starfleet officer, what would be the worst, and what would be other "good" assignments?

I would imagine any "explorer" type mission would be highly coveted. Conversely, any deep space station mission (a la DS9) may not be as highly coveted, or perhaps stuck on Spacedock.

I use the TNG/DS9/Voy timeframe for this.

2. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

How could we possibly know in a useful way? We can only speculate on what we're presented and there's so much more outside that which comprises the Star Trek universe. Worst: Some observation or research outpost on a frozen planet. Good: Another Starship, or deep space exploration vessel.... just a couple among countless possibilities. The cosmos is the limit.

3. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd think that a base like the one Scotty was exiled to in Star Trek 09 would be pretty bad. Not only was itout in a frozen wasteland, but it was pretty damn lonely there, too.

Best would be largely based on what the individual would want. I'd fantasize about a duty such as a training position which would include about half the time on Earth at the academy, and the other half in space on a training mission. The best of both. However, there has never been a canon position like this shown, to my knowledge.

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Best? You mean besides Riza orbital control?

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Worst assignment would have to be one of the manned outposts along the Neutral Zone.

6. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Worst starship assignment: USS Exeter under Capt Tracy. USS Defiant when it was near Tholian space. USS Intrepid when it met the giant space amoeba.
    Worst ground assignment: The dude mopping the floor in the bridge sim building in TWoK. he joined Starfleet to see the Universe and instead is stuck in San Francisco.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

According to the novel Typhon Pact: Paths of Disharmony the icy Delta Vega in the Vulcan system is still a shitty assignment in the 24th century. An Enterprise-E security officer mentions having spent months there.

I'd love to watch the occasional giant monster roaming by from the base windows. That'd keep me entertained for the first week, at least.

Worst of the bad assignments: DS9 waste extraction. Sewers full of multispecies poop. Ewwwww.

8. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Best assignment: a Sabre-Class ship. Do exceptionally well and among a crew of 40ish you'd get noticed and loads of first-hand experience that would help you climb the promotion ladder.

9. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I think it would depend on your service branch and personality. Some may not want to venture far from Earth or planetside service in general. Others may be drawn to deep space and exploration. A scientist may love being stuck on some distant world doing tedious anaylysis in a crappy environment. Your mileage may vary.

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

While the Enterprise might be The posting that everyone wants, I imagine a lot of people would be pretty damned thrilled to be on any Galaxy or Sovereign class ship.

As for worse, I'm inclined to agree with the above, bieng the lighthouse keeper on Delta Vega would suck.

11. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

The only people who we ever heard say they wanted to be on the Enterprise were the people who were already on the Enterprise, so either they requested the assignment and got it or they were assigned it and then decided that they wanted it.

Dr. Lense and Dr. Bashir were from a class that decided the Lexington was the plum assignment, and Lense got her desired job, but then so did Bashir! So was Lexington really the plum assignment, or was it that all the graduates had their pick of any jobs they wanted?

Makes you wonder how assignments work in Starfleet. If the Enterprise-D, for instance, is so coveted, then how did the likes of Barclay land a position there?

12. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

The two best assignments in the military are usually the one you just left and the one you want next.

13. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have to wonder if interstellar exploration is something anyone and a replicator can pull off. Or if, despite humanity's evolved sensibilities, SF is leary of letting anyone run around the universe.

That's definitly fodder for a nice story. Sort of a "Why do you think Earth is a paradise? They want us STUCK here, while the brightest of the bright take their rightful place in the heavens" conspiricy story. Seems like Miracleman was going that way before it was cancelled.

14. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

BEST ASSIGNMENT:
    Whatever is best suited for you.

WORST ASSIGNMENT:
    To the body recovery team aboard a medical vessel. Your primary task is to locate & identify corpses (and any missing parts) and set up their transfer to your ship's morgue.

15. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

The problem with this is that we've seen plenty of civilians with their own ships, including the Hansens exploring space on their own aboard their ship, the S.S. Raven.

16. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

True, but they were 'authorized' and had a flight plan. Harry Mudd and the Hansens arn't exactly ringing endorsements for letting civvies run around.

17. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Absolute worst is the guy who has to clean the holodeck floor after half the crew runs the "Wild Orgy" program.

18. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll go along with this. I can't imagine that being cooped up on a ship with recycled air, no natural sunlight, etc. for very long would be healthy regardless of whatever advances in technology they come up with. Plus, the idea of being confined inside a ship for extended periods of time would drive me insane.

19. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Having to file a flight plan is hardly the same thing as not having a right to explore space. And the exact nature of the Hansens' "authorization" is unclear.

There have been plenty of other civilians with their own ships throughout Trek. If anything, Trek makes it clear that interstellar space is teeming with civilian ships.

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was covered in Hollow Pursuits. The previous ship Barclay served on wanted him gone so bad they wrote a letter of shining endorsement in his file which made him look so impressive he had to be Enterprise material. By the end of the episode proved his worth.