How about a captain Pike(bruce Greenwood) series?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Jayson, May 3, 2009.

1. Jayson

Jayson Vice Admiral Admiral

It would be away to do a new show while also tying it to the success of the new movie. I could see them doing 3 different things with a Pike series.

1 His adventures as the captain of the Enterprise. Maybe you could even get Quinto as Spock but even if you can't do that you don't have to worry since your talking about a new universe and thus it won't be a canon violation if you don't have Spock there.

2 See what he did after stepping down as Captain. Perhaps he doesn't end up in a wheel chair in this timeline. Might be fun to see him in charge of Starfleet Academy or you could have him retire from Starfleet and do a Firefly type of show or maybe have him part of a Starfleet Inteligence type of show.

3 Have him explore Talos with the girl he meets in "The Cage". Perhaps there are other humans and aliens on this planet as well. It would be sort of a "Lost" type of show with a Trek twist. This wierd alien planet filled with exotic aliens and sophisitcated technolgy not to mention the ability to create illusions.

Jason

2. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Not if JJ Abrams is producing it.

3. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    ^ Yeah, the last thing we need is someone talented and successful producing a new Trek series.

4. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

I think this series won't fly because they wouldn't want the Enterprise on TV commanded by someone other than Kirk. Also, it would have to be a prequel to the prequel, which would get even more convoluted.

He does end up in a wheelchair anyways

However, I'll still hold out hope for a Faran Tahir prequel series. They have the sets built, after all.

5. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I don't think this will happen, but just out of pure curiosity, is Bruce Greenwood even up to do TV series these days?

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

He did the short-lived John from Cincinnati on HBO, but I doubt he'd be interested in a long-term network TV role.

7. Dayton3

Dayton3 Admiral

Bruce Greenwood.

Probably too old and too talented to be interested in the grind of a weekly series.

8. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Depends on your definition of "talented." Mine doesn't include having "LOST" and "Felicity" in your resume.

9. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Mine most certainly does. Lost is without a doubt one of the best series I've ever seen. :techman:

Yeah, I thought so, too. :(

10. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

Never seen Lost, but I loved Felicity. I liked Alias too. I like what Abrams has done with Star Trek and hope he influences any future TV series, but I doubt such a series would revolve around Greenwood. Knowing Abrams, I imagine he'd go for some unusual angle. He's already said that he has little interest in doing another series that follows the TOS, TNG, Voy templates.

11. Blackster

Blackster Ensign Red Shirt

I really liked Pike in the new film and Greenwood is an underappreciated legend - why they didn't have him play Archer instead of the wooden Scott Bakula, I don't know.

However... I wouldn't go down the TV show route with Pike. If there was a new show (and I think we're YEARS away from that, if ever), it needs to be a fresh approach in Abramsverse continuity.

12. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well...if not a Pike series...how about a revived Nowhere Man (or at least a TV movie)?

I'm going to post about Greenwood's latest outing as Pike..in just what, 1/2 of screen time between 2 movies, he's a created an inspiring character that I can totally buy as being VERY meaningful to Kirk, like a father.

13. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't mind it, so long as they dropped Spock and had a fantastic actress cast as Number One.

14. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't really think Greenwood would be interested in doing a Trek series--or any series--unless the money was really good.

I liked him in Nowhere Man on UPN back in the 90s, but the plot was hard to follow.

15. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    In principle, I'd find it interesting but... he was captain of the Enterprise for about 10 minutes, then was captured by Nero, released and relieved, and was captain of the Enterprise again when Kirk was demoted but never commanded her again.

What adventures would you show ?

16. alexianyc

alexianyc Ensign Red Shirt

Particularly considering the plot of STID. But I suppose you could have Pike as captain of another ship - the Yorktown? - before his 10 minutes as captain of the Enterprise.

Although it seems to me it would make a lot more sense just to go back to the prime universe, where Pike was captain of the Enterprise for years and Spock served with him.

17. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I was going to say 'It'll be horrible, but I'd watch every episode' but I was thinking of Bruce Campbell. It would be a step down for Greenwood to do a series.

18. Belz...

Why are people so intent on returning to the old timeline ? We've been there for 40 years. Can't we move on, now ?

19. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

I'm not going to accept novelty just for the sake of novelty.

Probably the only good thing in JJ Trek was Pike. If any fixture in JJ Trek symbolized old-Trek, it was him.

20. Belz...

Who talked about accepting novelty ? Did you even read my post ?

The point is that they have rebooted. Why not take it for what it is and enjoy it, rather than imagine what it would be like to go back to the good old days ?