Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^ Same here. Maybe the page just didn't load all the way?

Personally I've always found all the empty slots in the texture pack quite interesting (theres also a lilypad texture). Theres tons of room for expansion there.

Dang, looks like 1.5 has been pushed back to next week.

I had a happy. It gone now. :(

2. Kimi3013

Kimi3013 Captain Captain

The texture file's size means nothing. It's just convenient to be able to work on them all in the same file, and having the extra spots there is a by product of working in square canvas to begin with. It could just as easily have been a folder with a ton of separate images that just have one tile of the current system.

3. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Yeah, Minecraft is actually more limited by the number of block IDs than the textures.

4. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Nope, cause I reload the page and empty the cache and it's the same thing.

5. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't had to worry about my coal supply for a long time, but over the last few weeks it has been dwindling slowly. It began with my road/bridge over to my monster trap which required a lot of smooth stone, then I had to cook up some glass for another underwater tunnel, now I'm placing so many torches in my village that I fear I'll run out and need to start mining again.

Charcoal isn't an option either as all the wooden huts I'm building are taking all the wood I'm cutting down. I spent over half an hour today chopping down trees and came back with 6 stacks of logs, but that was all used up in about an hour.

I should have it finished by the weekend, then I think I might focus on Mount Vulcan and the completion of my rail-line to Bartlet Cove. I started that back in October so it is kind of embarrassing that it's still a WIP. With the release of proper boosters next week, now seems like a good time to finish the job.

6. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I'm currently building what I'm calling my "great western highway"; a lava floor lit road, six blocks wide, about ten to fifteen blocks above sea level and equipped with two lanes of railway with the intent of creating a fast and safe path to a new biome. I'd already explored the world for quite a ways prior to the Beta release so this is a huge push out to virgin lands, hopefully with pumpkins and that blue ore stuff. Needless to say it's seriously taxed my glass and coal reserves, eaten three diamond pickaxes (I tunnel straight through the mountains) and involved countless trips back and forth the the nether (a portal to which I conscientiously placed at the Fort Binky terminus) with buckets and buckets of lava.

Fortunately, the tunnelling through the mountain part provided enough extra iron, coal and cobblestone but wood is becoming an issue. See, I went and stored some lava in a pit a little too close to the forest of trees I'd planted in preparation and...well...the forest isn't there any more. On the up side, as you can see on this map I'm getting close to snow, and the edge of the explored world so hopefully I'll be able to finish it!

[​IMG]

7. Hoser

Hoser Hoser Super Moderator

I just saw a completely random forest fire. I can't think of anything that started it, but nothing would stop it. I saw fire going up hills to get to trees.....

So I wandered around picking up chops and feathers....

8. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

^^

There might be an above-ground lava source nearby (which is a VERY rare and neat occurrence). If there is, mark the location somehow and build a house around it.

9. Cutter John

Going back to reply to some things I meant to cover sooner.
    Oh lord tell me about it. I was walking out to look for sheep yesterday and passed by the giant waterfall by my house and said to myself "Self, I bet a pathway behind the waterfall would be really cool. Soon the pathway turned into a small room with walls made of water. Then a second room. Then before I knew it, I was building a spiral staircase up through the mountain and back to the yard outside my treehouse with a nice little railing around it. Ugh. It just never stops.

Thats one of the things I love about this game. Its apropriate for all ages. I hope you've got your game backed up so you don't have to keep rebuilding that ship. :)

Yeah, I have a couple of slimes down in my mine. The smaller ones are okay, but the huge ones pack quite a punch. They're fine unless there are lava pools around that they can bump you into.

I have a couple of those on my current map. Just friggin cool. One is a huge pool. The other is flowing out of a cliffside into the water.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  10. TheGodBen

Cool, a luxury railway line. :techman: I'm just about arsed enough to put gravel under my single rail-track, the idea of a 6 meter-wide track with lava and glass is mind-blowing for me.

Notch has announced that ladders will be fixed, so there'll be no more gaps, but the crafting recipe will now give you two ladders, so it's the same difference. (Except I'll have to fix all my currently existing ladders.) He has also said that he'll fix the side-grass issue so that it's no longer the pre-biome light green. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but it sure took him long enough. I always had difficulty determining what biome I was in while in a boat as I could only see the sides of the grass. The fact that all my trees look diseased since that update in January only made it harder.

11. Hoser

I wandered for quite a while and found nothing, but when I returned after locating something else I found a lava flow coming out the side of a mountain. I also saw strange light sources on the ground, coming from nothing but still glowing.
    I can't put out the forest fire, I've coated trees in water and come back to find floating fountains with a stump at the bottom. I'm a little worried it will reach my housing area, which is still very far away.

I did finally manage to find a snowy region on this map (I dumped my first map when I swapped computers, and found this map to be even more entertaining than the other.) I've been looking for one ever since I found out he was going to put snow in the game. :) :)

I built a mine all the way to the bottom of the map, like I always do, and I spent a good amount of time carving out a massive area around any lava pits, but the coolest thing I found was when I happened into a cavern that led all the way to the surface, directly outside my large mountain castle.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  12. Kimi3013

Kimi3013 Captain Captain

Fire only burns when that chunk is loaded. So what you can do is run away from it, and when you're a few chunks away, leave the world and come back and keep running home. The fire won't load and you'll have time. Exit a few time to make sure (or use an editor to just move you away from it).

Then just make a fire break round your house.

13. Cutter John

Thats what I was thinking. Start rounding up all the cobble you can.

Or stop playing until next weeks update and hope for rain. ;)

14. Kimi3013

Kimi3013 Captain Captain

Fire breaks are gaps, no building needed. Added bonus of getting a ton of wood.

15. Cutter John

Aww guess you're right. I forgot grass doesn't burn.

Meanwhile at my place, the Children of the Great Pumpkin continues to grow. I'm getting nervous.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  16. Hoser

I managed to stop the fire, there was a decent sized plain in between that forest and mine but for a large stand of trees, I covered that area in water until the fire burned out. Now that area is a large plain full of ghost lights....

[​IMG]

Oddest thing. I find that if I dig in one, the light completely disappears.

17. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's the latest on my house, which is rapidly turning into a castle. I've added a western wing and a new tower (in back), and I'm beginning to wall off a courtyard. Didn't really feel like spending twenty minutes quarrying, though, so I've left it incomplete for now.

[​IMG]

18. TheGodBen

Weird. :wtf: I've seen the opposite happen when I'm cutting down trees, as the leaves decay they sometimes leave shadows on the ground as though they were still there. They tend to go away if I leave the area and come back. Perhaps it has something to do with the new lighting system?

Speaking of light, most of the major work on my village is complete, all buildings are finished and torches are in place. I still need to raise the walls on my fortress and the town walls, I need to redirect the stream near Impossible Falls so that it flows out to sea (something I meant to do ages ago) and build a path around the other side of town, then work in that area will be complete. But I just had mcmap make me a map of my world at night to see what it's like, and this is what it came up with:

[​IMG]

My world is brighter than North Korea. It looks like everything behind the town walls should be bright enough to stop monsters spawning, now I just need to find enough coal to light up the rest of my world.

19. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been working on my own little single player map lately. I've got lots of resources:

[​IMG]

But I think I want to start a larger project now. I'm open to any ideas. :)

A few more pics of my world:

Here's my beach house, the first building I constructed, slightly enlarged and it now leads down to the above storage/smelting area and also connects to a tunnel to my main mining complex:

[​IMG]

Right in front of it is a mooring berth.

[​IMG]

I have a tree farm, a wheat farm and constructed some roads by now.

[​IMG]

Finally, a general overview.

[​IMG]

Any suggestions? I've been thinking about building a nice and large residence for myself somewhere, but I don't really know what it should look like.

20. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

Where do you people find the time to build all these elaborate houses? Mine is still pretty much a cobblestone shack (albeit a floating one) compared to your (multiple) living spaces.