XXIX Olympic games coverage

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Brolan, Aug 8, 2008.

1. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I feel like I should say something... but then I remember the signature that I haven't changed since the Turin olympics. :lol:

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah you've had that signature for a while. I was actually thinking about it after watching Fencing this weekend. Jacobson, Ward, and Zagunis are hot too, even though they aren't sisters, unfortunately. :drool:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  3. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Very cute ladies...I'd fence 'em anytime. :D

4. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hot fencing sisters? Someone make this happen!

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tell me if this makes sense to anyone else

-NBC prided itself on showing live coverage of the Swimming and Gymnastics in Prime Time

-Those events ever since the olympics have started doesn't start until after 10:00 so you pretty much lose the defined prime time hour

-They didn't want to show this live coverage to the Western Time Zone because they were afraid that people wouldn't be watching because they are coming home from work

-Now if I do the math correctly, 10:00 in the east means 7:00 out west. That would mean that if the Swimming and Gymnastics were live on all coasts, than it really would be in primetime, and the Gymnastics part wouldn't end at late hours of the night when people go to bed early because they might need to get up early for work in the morning.

-So this means that NBC's so called primetime coverage really isn't prime time, and they are still screwing over millions of people by not showing stuff live during primetime

I just don't get it. I don't get why the ratings would be down starting the swimming at 10:00 at night (or 7:00) and then actually having live primetime coverage. I guess they need to do taped coverage of boring Diving, Beach Vollyball, and stupid stories about Pandas like they are doing tonight.

Oh and NBC is considering showing the Phelps 8th medal race live to everyone on Saturday even though they think it's a tough choice. Thanks a lot you corporate piles of scum. :rolleyes:

6. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

It sucks. I stayed up til 1 a.m. last night just watching the outcome of the men's gymnastic team finals. (I already knew who the winners were, but I just wanted to see what actually happened.)

I think I remember staying up really late at night and watching the Barcelona and Atlanta games. But that didn't matter because I didn't work the following day or I worked the nightshift.

NBC's primetime Olympic coverage is messed-up. I think people out here on the West Coast are the only ones NOT getting the live broadcast. More than that, we get a super-delayed, very late-at-night coverage of the more prominent sports (like swimming, gymnastics). Let's say a sporting event starts at 10 a.m. Beijing Time. Now that's +12 hours ahead of Eastern Time, so the people in New York should be able to watch it at 10 p.m. (I don't know if they actually do.) A live broadcast would mean 7 p.m. here in California. But no. NBC waits until 11:48 p.m. to show the swimming or gymnastics competitions, the results of which have already been posted on the Internet.

7. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

NBC has been getting tons of viewers with their LIVE coverage. I don't understand why they can't show everything live on one or two channels then show the taped stuff on the others during primetime.

8. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Who-hoo! Ryan wins the 200 backstroke in world record time! Congratulations!!

9. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

yay to Shawn Johnson. She only lives twelve minutes from me in Johnston.

Olympics...in Lego form!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  10. stoneroses

stoneroses Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The BBC interactive coverage has been good. thanks to the good old red button.

11. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

That Ryan. He has the cutest eyes, doesn't he?

Congrats again to M. Phelps for his seventh gold medal, but that was a close race. Either the Serbian guy was almost as good as he was, or Phelps just let loose a bit.

12. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

If only I could have found a proxy server that could have read it so I could have watched the latest Phelps race live here on the US West Coast.

13. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to say that I've been seriously impressed by the BBC coverage of events. The commentators have been enthusiastic, engaging and knowledgable (Matt Baker, I'm looking at you). The live streaming has been excellent and full of choice. It's almost been impossible to miss a major medal win or event with GB participation. The studio links have mostly been the sucessful BBC mix of comfy mgazine tv and backstory news highlights. The only downside for me has been Gaby Logan firting with Michael Johnson and Sharon Davis' eternal bad humour. Other than that, I've been bowled over by their coverage.

And team GB is at standing third in the medal table. Yeah! Go us. :techman:

14. stoneroses

stoneroses Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Do you have that sort of interactive TV in the states already?

15. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

Not live for all events, particularly the Phelps race which was shown exclusively on the main network that has the rights to the Olympics.