It's official! Neil Gaiman episode to feature...(spoilers)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by The Nth Doctor, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: New Cybermen Design!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW!!!

They are looking great now.

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

3. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

If only.

Don't care for the new design, but then I haven't liked the "new" look at any stage.

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

What spoilers does that thread contain that aren't contained in this one?

1. Cybermen returning (Spoiled in the thread Title)
    2. Name of Episode (Spoiled in the first post)

This thread doesn't spoil who the writer is of the episode, but, I wouldn't think that would be a concern for someone if the other two spoilers aren't

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

You're right, I didn't realize that the name of the episode was in this thread too.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Thank you, I almost went scouring through that other thread to see what I missed :devil:

Green Lantern, Alidar Jarok does have a point, for me, this information is no big deal as far as Spoilers go, but, for some folks, these are pretty big spoilers. You should send an IM to the mod, requesting a Title Change, perhaps something like "New Villain Design **Spoilers**" to protect those who are extremely Spoiler averse.

7. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is there anyone like that here? I mean if you don't want spoilers, you tend not to joni internet forums ;) besides, what's done is done.

I think the new design is great, it's like the took the clasic 60s designs and modernised them, something they didn't do so well with the last ones (still oved their designs though).

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well you tend to avoid threads and areas of forums that might contain spoilers. I for example have been avoiding the STXI+ forum.

9. Green Lantern

Has anyone else noticed the old cyber men look like the were wearing baggy trousers and boots?

I like both designs alot, I think the newer one tops the two though. However, they look to skinngy for my taste, the cybermen were always bulky, now they look..........nude. The new ones do look a bit ironman/robocop reboot inspired though, still love them.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Looks like these Cybermen have been doing a lot of sit-ups. Why do the Cybermen need abs? :p

11. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, cool! So you don't know that Gary Seven is coming back--

Ooops.

12. Ghost Bones

Ghost Bones Captain Captain

Oh wow. They've actually managed to make them look worse.

13. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Nick Briggs actually wanted to do something closer to the Tenth Planet voices in "Rise of the Cybermen" (I think the voice he used in his Cyberman audio dramas), but was overruled by the director, who wanted something flatter. So if he gets his druthers, this might be his chance to introduce that voice.

14. Green Lantern

So you prefered them when they were wearing tin foil to actual metal?

15. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

C'mon, its Bones. Of course he hates it.

16. Ghost Bones

All they've done is make the metal more segmented so it looks like the strap on my grandad's watch. It's also a straw man to suggest the only alternative is tin foil. I think the best-looking Cybermen in the show ever are the Revenge of the Cybermen Cybermen, who looked smooth and not so bulky. Now of course to our modern eyes there are bits that look silly there, but a reworking of that more slender outline is what I'd go for, not the stomping twatters we have now and will continue to have.
    Uhurrrhurrrrhurrrhurrrrhurrrr.

17. Green Lantern

Good point! :P
    :sigh: :brickwall:

18. Ghost Bones

What are you getting at? You think you're banging your head against a wall when someone makes a reasoned elaboration? Fuck's sake.

19. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've never found any incarnation of Cybermen especially believable. The "stompers", while of higher production value than anything out of original Who, are just too bulky, robotic, and homogeneous. I'd like a design that looks less mass-produced. For this reason, I don't share most fans' aversion to the Lisa Hallet design in Torchwood. Sure, it sucked, but the idea that her partial conversion resulted in a unique look improved the effect.

Star Trek's Borg are a better representation of what the Cybermen are supposed to be: menacingly upgraded biological entities. Even their first appearance in "Q Who" is handsprings and cartwheels better than any attempt in Doctor Who -- old or new. The big difference between Cybermen and Borg is that the Borg completely surrender their identity to the hive mind Collective, but the Cybermen still retain some individuality.

There was one thing I really liked about their appearance in "The Tenth Planet" that hasn't been done since: the Cyber-leader actor would hold his mouth open while another actor provided his voice. It's such a simple trick, but the effect really made the character fascinating and menacing. Especially if, as someone else mentioned, one considers the fabric parts of their costumes to be surgical bandages. For all the spare parts and flashlights look of those Cyber costumes, they're actually among my favorites.

20. Green Lantern

I find it a real shame the last episode of the tenth planet is lost, it means we can never view the serial in full. Plus, it's both the first appearance of the cybermen, and the first regeneration ever on screen.