Eccleston turned down chance to be in 50th Anniversary story

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by JoeZhang, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

So has anyone denied that they're in this year's Christmas special? ;)

2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had no trouble understanding him, I was just suggesting they should get a comedy replacement for him with his reluctance to return to it. Just being silly.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are you daring me to kidnap that sob?

4. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

You keep saying that, but I don't think Eccelston CARES about that sort of notoriety. He likes to work, not the fame. If he cared about being known around the world, he would obviously make very different choices.

He's a talented actor, he continues to work, he considered returning, he chose not to. It's not the end of the world. He's not asshole for not coming back.

5. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

It's a bummer about Eccelston. I kept hoping he'd have that last minute change of heart. The first time I saw "The Five Doctors" in the 80's, I was pretty bummed that Baker wasn't in it. (This was before I'd seen any 1-3 stories, so I was only really familiar with 4) A lack of Eccelston gives this special that same vibe for me. I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but I notice his absence.

If 9 won't be there, I would like them to try to get 8 in there, simply because I'd like him to have another moment on the screen as the Doctor.

6. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Heh. They should throw the eighth Doctor in there with the running gag that no one in the special knows who the hell he is.

7. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

11: Who're you?
    8: I'm the Doctor
    11: (gives quizzical look) Future incarnation?
    8: Eighth
    11: Really. Well...I don't really remember...you.
    8: (looks at 10)
    10: I'm sorry..so sorry..but I don't remember you either.

Of course given the way this gag has been going, it'd go like this:

11: Who're you?
    8: I'm the Doctor
    11: Doctor Who? (looks upwards, eyes moving in all directions and smiling) So that's what that feels like. Oh, this is Christmas!

8. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Has CE never thought that if he did the damn thing, people would stop hassling him and have some closure? Seems simple to me.

9. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Utter horseshit. Just because you weren't sufficiently observant to know who he was prior to DW, don't assume the rest of us were just as unaware.

I'm American, live in the Midwest, and I was well aware of who Christopher Eccleston was, starting roughly 10 years prior to his stint as the Doctor, from his appearance in Danny Boyle's "Shallow Grave" (where he was one of the leads), his role as one of the leads (DCI Bilborough) in series 1 of the popular Robbie Coltrane series "Cracker", and later as the main baddy in "Gone in 60 Seconds". All major parts BTW and not a "bit part" in the bunch.

Truth be told, I was NOT much of a classic Who fan, and tuned in to watch the 2005 revival when it premiered on SciFi (now SyFy) based almost entirely on the fact that Eccleston was starring in it.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  10. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I particularly remember his turn in Gone in 60 Seconds, because he was absolutely awful in it. Totally unconvincing nutter. Possibly the material though.

I feel like I should say no, just in case.

11. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Selfish? Really? Don't be stupid. As much as I would love to see 9 again, Eccleston has every right to turn down or accept whatever job he does or doesn't want. He doesn't want to be in Doctor Who. So? It's his call.

Exactly.

12. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Did he rape their dog or something? Closure?

13. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Whatever does he need closure for? He doesn't need to do anything to feel better about his work on the show or validate himself.

As for fans and their needs, that should be pretty far down on Eccleston's list of priorities.

14. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Sorry, I disagree with that. Any actor will tell you it's the fans that made them. Now I'm not saying an actor should make his decisions on Fan Rule, but they should take them into account. Supposedly, CE had a problem with PRODUCTION PEOPLE on DW. They are all gone now, so that shouldn't hold him back. He liked Moffats' episode(s), so that shouldn't be a problem. What is the problem? Was SMs story that CE read no good? Did it hurt "the character"?

So yeah, actors owe their careers to the fans. Unless this 50th story was so distasteful and the people he would have to work with are a-holes (for him), his decisions sucks.

Again, yes, actors do owe it to the fans. That's why they're there. And that's why they become big, -- or don't.

P.S. This doesn't mean I have any problem with CE, just his decisions concerning DW. Really, get over yourself.

15. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Closure? How much more closure does he have to do? He did a regeneration scene.

He may have. He did do two meetings. Just because he didn't decide to do it, doesn't mean he took them into account.

Time and again, Eccleston has said he doesn't like to "swim in the same stream twice."

Do you just not respect his decision because you don't like it?

Ah. So, yeah. You don't respect his decision because you don't like it.

Well, tough. It's not your career. It's not your work ethic. It's his. And he seems to be doing very well with it, thankyouverymuch.

No. Actors don't owe anything to the fans. The fans paid for a product. He was paid to do it. He's very nice to the fans by all accounts. He just doesn't want to return to a role.

And, again, he's doesn't CARE about becoming big. Why do you keep bringing it up?

Um, no. I quite like myself. Why don't you get over Eccleston's decision?

16. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

So why does he keep saying that? He should do Doctor Who just because he always says he won't!

17. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

With all due respect, it sounds as though you really do have a problem with Eccleston.

Let me put it this way. He got "over himself" by taking a meeting with Moffat. He didn't have to do that. He had made it abundantly clear that he wasn't going to return. Yet, when he was approached, he listened to whar Moffat had to say, he considered it, and he passed. If he really thought of himself as bigger than the show with an ego of Shatnerian proportions, he wouldn't have done Moffat the courtesy; he'd have been content to simply stand on what he said in the past.

Here's the thing. Maybe he'll have a change of heart in 2015 when the series celebrates the tenth anniversary of "Rose." And maybe he'll have that change of heart because he sees what a modern-day multi-Doctor celebration can be. But if there's nothing but fan whingeing between now and 2015, then I hope Eccleston stays away. Honestly and truly.

18. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

The idea that actors "owe" fans something is why many stay away from fandom. It's absurd that Eccleston owes anyone a damn thing. He could've quit in the middle of the season but he did a whole season and a regeneration scene.

19. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

If he didn't film the regeneration scene would they have filmed Tennant from behind with an Eccleston wig ;)

I'm not going to try and take sides on this current argument that's going on. I do, however, want to express my disappointment that he will not be a part of it. Not only because I wanted to see his Doctor again, but because this is probably the only chance we would have had, to ever see his Doctor onscreen again.

20. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

When I said closure, I meant for fans. Yes, there was a regen scene, but with a 50th anniversary, if he'd done it, '3 Drs'/'5 Drs' style, people would just shut up, I'm pretty certain of that.

That said, once the 50th is passed, he probably won't be asked again.

An actor does owe something to the fans, but by the same token, they can set their own course, with all the rewards and risks of that. I'm a little disappointed CE didn't want to come back, but that's fine and I wish him well.