Is Netflix a Rip-off?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral James Kirk, Mar 4, 2008.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Re: 5.1 surround sound via streaming next week

I like this one the best.

Sometimes I just want to be a lazy piece of crap, and getting off my ass to put in a disc is so much harder than staying on the couch! :lol:

2. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not to mention there's no good place to store the disc.

3. hamudm

hamudm Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It just came to Canada a few weeks ago (streaming only) and i subscribed for $7.99 a month. I use it all the time so far and it's terrific value. I hope the Canadian selection of quality titles increases soon though. I hear in the US there's a lot of great selection; however, we have a lot of indie crap (and I'm not talking GOOD indie stuff either) to sift through.

Still, it has titles like all 3 seasons of Mad Men, and a lot of obscure documentaries and art house flicks that are super hard to find normally. Additionally, I've been catching up on my Red Dwarf and Highlander the TV Series :)

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The American selection is still fairly limited, but it continues to grow. It gets better and better every month, and they continue to add more popular titles. My PS3 continues to be the best investment I've ever made, and I use Netflix all the time.

5. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Well, you've got one up on the U.S., then, if that makes your current limited selection feel any better. We don't have Mad Men on Netflix Instant down here.

6. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Netflix is awesome.

We've never had problems with the mailing system, and the unlimited on-line access is great.

:techman:

7. DieselFreak

DieselFreak Ensign Newbie

I love Netflix. My dad even works for Redbox (The red machines at Wal-Mart with $1 DVD rentals) and we both use Netflix, even though my dad has about a good 1200 DVD's laying around our house that are supposed to be going in and out of machines.

8. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ You're right, and I didn't even notice. Fortunately, I'm happy enough with all the seasons of Better Off Ted, every season of King of the Hill, Family Guy, American Dad, Married With Children, The Office (UK & US), and Dead Like Me. :D

I love the fact that Netflix has so many TV series. I love movies, but it's nice to watch TV episodes in HD and all at once if I like.

Hey, Redbox is awesome too. If I just want to watch a new release for a night, I go half a block up the road, rent it, watch it and bring it back the next day, all for $1.

My entertainment budget is shiveringly small, and $8 a month gives me DVDs and thousands of hours of instant streaming TV series' and movies right at my fingertips. If this is the way things are going, bring it on! :D

9. Sisko_is_my_captain

Sisko_is_my_captain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've been back on netflix for about a year now (previously had it in college 8 years ago*, but it was damaging my productivity, so I cancelled). I started off with the 3 discs at once deal, but I was unemployed and turned into a power user, so they throttled me down. I used to have a 2-3 day turnaround, but it was getting to 4-5 days - quite ridiculous. In recent months, I've been mainly streaming from them, so I changed back to a 1 disc at a time plan. I essentially don't watch cable any more. I can stream almost anything I want.

My only complaints are scratched discs (seriously, people who rub gravel on their discs and talk in theaters should be raped by grizzly bears), the aforementioned throttling, and lack of series I want to watch (currently: House) on instant view.

I also dislike the privacy policy over at Netflix, as you can't clear your viewing history. I'm not complaining because I want to watch a bunch of NC-17 crap. I just want to have the freedom to keep track of my viewing history as I see fit, and to be able to have a little privacy if my wife and I watch something not so appropriate for our parents or kids.

That said, I've really scored on seeing entire series I missed on first runs:
    Buffy
    Angel
    X-Files (most of it)
    SG-1
    SG-A
    SG-U
    Terminator: SCC
    Deadwood S2, S3
    John Adams
    Northern Exposure
    House

You know, unemployment / college is actually good for something. lol

*Wow, the notion of having had an internet service almost a decade ago suddenly makes me feel really old.

10. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

RedBox competition streaming

Netflix will have a competitor next year:
    [LEFT]
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2010/10/redbox-kiosks-web-movie-rentals.html

Redbox says in talks for 2011 movie streaming

Redbox Moves to the Web Next Year

[/LEFT]

11. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

Anybody know why they aren't carrying the blu-rays of, among others, SW Clone Wars season 2, Back to the Future and the Alien films?

12. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Don't they have a deal with most of the major studios not to carry new releases for a certain window, and in exchange they get to have more streaming titles?

13. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

^ Correct. Netflix has a 28-day delayed window for 20th Century Fox, Universal, and Time Warner releases.

14. Amaris

In return, those of us who pay $8 for unlimited streaming gets a win/win! :D

15. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes. It's a decent deal.

16. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Meh, I have a Blu-Ray that streams Netflix. I'm not buying something else to get Redbox. If they can't adapt to me then they don't have my business.

I just got my Netflix streaming set up and have been enjoying it. I streamed a movie last night(Descent 2) while getting a disc(Agora) in the mail. If that's not a 2 at a time 'esque plan while only paying for the one at a time for $8 I don't know what is.

The 30 day window that Blockbuster has means nothing to me. I wait 5-7 months for a movie on DVD what's another 30 days. Especially since my queue/steam is loaded up to keep me busy till that 30 days has passed.

17. Amaris

^ Yep. I have 381 movies in my queue, so I have tons of movies to watch at any time, including the complete series of Family Guy, American Dad, King of the Hill, etc., lots to watch, and my one DVD ("Up in the Air" - fun movie by the way) on my desk.

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yeah, there's so much stuff to watch on Netflix Instant now that the additional wait for certain new releases really isn't an issue.

19. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

381? HA. That's nothing.
    I hit the limit. 500 in the queue. Then you can't add anymore... bastards.

20. Amaris

They raised the limit? Great! It was 400, and why I have kept my queue below that number for so long. :lol: