Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lynn Minmay, Feb 21, 2012.

1. RangerH

RangerH Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Here is where you can see eps 23-26 RAW. If you do not see Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 in the on going series. Click on Anime list, then click on U. Scroll down to where it says Uchuu senkan Yamato 2199.

http://www.animehere.com/

2. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Not much can be gotten from that little amount of text.

All that is know is that they are making a "completely new story" for theatrical release in 2014. And that it will be related to Space Battleship Yamato 2199.

That means it probably isn't a compilation film like the 1977 film Space Battleship Yamato.

But aside from that it could be almost anything.

A prequel film on the Earth-Gamilas War.

A sequel film on Earth verse the Comet Empire (a remake of sorts of Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato)

An in-between series film about what happens to Gamilas after Yamato leaves.

An in-between film about what happens after Yamato returns to Earth.

An adventure during the voyage to or from Iscandar that they didn't have time to tell in the 26 episode run of Yamato 2199.

Lots of things.

3. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep, it's just an announcement of a thing that will exist next year. :lol:

I posted my thoughts about the series and the finale on another board, so I thought I'd just copy and paste it here. Spoilers for Yamato, obviously, but also for the endings of a few science fiction properties over the year so I'll just put the whole thing under a spoiler tag here.

Yamato 2199 fin
    [​IMG]
    Dem feels. So many of them.

I can't believe this incredible journey is over. This has been, and probably will be, the most fun I've had watching science fiction since the early days of Stargate SG-1. There are just so many lessons that I have to assume the Japanese production crew must have learned from watching the shitshows that BSG and JJTrek turned into as reboots and they're all applied here to create something that - I admittedly have to assume - venerates the original series but modernizes the series in a way that makes it meaningful to a contemporary audience.

Even how they handled the ending and the retcon of a certain death shits over what JJ did in a recent movie this year.

There are the small twiddly bits that are just weird - at times, it feels like they added more female cast members not to diversify the crew but to have more figurines to sell to otaku, but unlike say JJ showing Carol Marcus half naked in his crappy movie, at least these characters are more than just pretty women to gawk at.

As for the actual denouement, it serves as a nice quiet ending to the fucking balls out cliffhanger from last week. The journey back to Earth is framed by the circle of life and death and rebirth... with the wedding, the captain's death, and of course, the "miracle" that happens with a certain character. They don't show how Earth is saved by this magical technology, because you already see it happen, so ending the show with the crew disappearing into a point of light and a blue Earth rising out of the darkness is just perfect.

There are obvious questions, which is probably why there is a 2014 project, but it is an emotional ending to the previous episode's explosive climax. There is no need for a gimmick, like the crew of the Galactica being our ancestors, or Khan with his blood of immortality, or the entire cast of characters going to a church and going to heaven or whatever bullshit SyFy has dumped on me in the last decade. It's just an ending marked by beauty and contemplation, one that is just simply happy and posits an end of a narrative rather than one that tries to make some shitty grand revelation or final plot twist for the sake of trying to be "memorable". It's the perfect desert after a hearty and filling full course meal.

I know like only 5 people here will watch this show. But those 5 people will experience one of the greatest science fiction stories of the modern era. (It might even bump Aria off the top of whatever theoretical list I might make, which is just fucking inconceivable for me).

[​IMG]
    And a salute to you too, my dear Yamato. See you in a year.

I'm really looking forward to 2014 now.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  4. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Interesting. Maybe they are taking a NuBSG "Razor" route, showing a side-story during the course of Y2199.

5. Ithekro

What other board was that posted too that so few may see it?

(Never mind, I found it).

Next weekend is the 39th anniversary of Space Battleship Yamato. The first episode aired on October 6th, 1974. Hopefully the film in 2014 might be related to the 40th anniversary, or will contribute to it.

What I want is to see the rebuilt Earth fleet using this new CG style.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  6. firehawk12

7. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

RE: The 'new' story in 2014.

Given (from what I've read) that when the original 1973 SBY series was in development, it was a 52 episode arc (cut to 35; then 26 episodes); and that 'Captain Harlock' was planned to be introduced in SBY (and later the character was just put into his own standalone series/story); anyone want to take bets they might just try something with a Captain Harlock crossover such as was originally intended for SBY? :eek::techman:;)

[Yeah, probably not, but IMO it would be an interesting twist.]

8. 137th Gebirg

Oh, yes! I remember reading about that years ago. That would be cool - wasn't it postulated that Harlock was supposed to have been Kodai's brother post-Iscandar-destruction? Probably nothing more than a rumor, due to the similar nature in which the characters were drawn - I think that was more of a Matsumoto stylistic hero trope than anything based in reality, much like the "Matsumitis" (long-neck syndrome) of all the fair-haired blue-eyed non-Japanese-looking women in his shows. Yuki, Starsha & her sister, Trelena, etc., etc... :D

9. Ithekro

10. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So now I'm caught up, well at least with the subed episodes, still waiting on the group I'm following to release 23-26...which probably won't be until the BD is out.

I was going to wait but then the other day I was tinkering with my electronics setup and one thing led to another and I had my laptop connected to the big screen TV marathoning Yamato episodes.

11. Noname Given

BTW - if you're in the Los Angeles area and want to see the 2010 Japanese live action "Space Battleship Yamato" film on the big screen (with English subtitles); the L.A. Downtown Independent (a small 'art house' theatre) is having two showings:

Saturday October 19th at 7:30 PM
    and
    Sunday October 27th at 5:00 PM

Here's a link to info about the showings, the theatre, and how to get tickets if you're interested:

http://www.downtownindependent.com/events/space-battleship-yamato

(No, I don't work at, nor am I affiliated with said theatre; but I do have a ticket for myself for the October 19, 7:30 PM showing.:))

12. firehawk12

Thinking about the live action movie, it is funny that they did the "hotshot female pilot" first.

13. firehawk12

So, the final BD is out for people who were waiting for it!

At this point, I just hope that someone does a re-release here with a more reasonable price.

14. 137th Gebirg

Last I heard, Voyager may be doing it, hopefully with minimal changes. It will probably take a while to get here, though.

15. Noname Given

Just received my SBY: 2199 Blu-Ray Disc 7 this afternoon (I was tracking it on the USPS site and from past discs deliveries, it looked like it would be delivered around 1:00 PM - so I went home for lunch, doorbell rang at 12:44 PM; signed for the delivery (and verified it was the right disc), and headed back to work.

Going to watch the final 4 episodes of the re-imagined SBY tonight after dinner (with the English subtitles on, of course).:techman:

[I really do hope they decide to proceed with a re-imagining of "Comet Empire" at some point in the near future. I've read here in this thread and other places that they are doing something in the SBY:2199 universe in 2014. I just hope they do the same thing they did with this series - IE Release a Blu-Ray disc playable in the U.S. with English subtitles, but time will tell.]

Still, happy to finally have all 7 discs in my possession.

16. zakkrusz

If it's them, our wallets are in for some serious raping. I looked what they're selling the previous Starblazers stuff for. :wtf:

17. Ithekro

Which basically means there is going to be little way to avoid spending a bit on the series. I have the last chapter now and I can say it was worth it.

Voyager Entertainment is attempting to sell the show in North America for television distribution. The reported problem with that is that the Japan show's format is likely incompatable with American TV commercial slots. You have a show that is usually 23 and a half minutes long up to 27 or more minutes long, each formated for one commercial break. This would be highly modified to fit into a 18 to 22 minute slot worth of content with two commercial breaks. Even on Japanese TV the longer episodes were trimmed down by a minute or two and had the ending credits and song run over the final scenes of the episode.

18. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Selling it on the basis of nostalgia probably will not work.

19. zakkrusz

Just finished this myself, and yeah I have to say I'm pretty impressed with it. I would love to see this show go on to cover the rest of the original material or maybe just end with this. Either would work for me. :techman:

20. RangerH

RangerH Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Especially when you take a look at how long commercial breaks are here in the US. Its about 10mins of commercials for a 30min show. That means the the opening is cut along with the ending and any bits in between that is considered irrelevant to the story or to conform to the FCC regulation concerning cartoon content.

Cartoon Network would be the best bet to air it on TV here. And it would have to be on Toonami. Or it goes to a station like Stars. Or IFC (they had anime on in its original uncut format like Vandread and a few others). I can not remember the channel that had Chrono Crusade on it. I think it was Stars though.

Like I said the best bet is for it be on a channel that would not allow it to be cut to much just because of the FCC rules and Advertisers.