Wrath of Khan – my favorite design

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by neoworx, May 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

^And yet, in-continuity, the TWOK uniforms are by and far the longest-lived that we know of, having mostly survived until only a decade or so before TNG. Which also sticks out, given that when the series is in production, they seem to change uniforms every few years.

2. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Technically, the change between season two and three of TNG is one of manufacturing and materials, not one of design, so certain parties may consider it to be a non-change change. Almost like going from velour to stretch poplin between seasons two and three of TOS.

3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

It was a minor change, but the two uniforms were easily visually distinguishable, especially the neck area. Doesn't change anything, as even if you counted those two as the same uniform, it was only around for maybe 20 years tops in-continuity. The TWOK uniforms, with and without the turtleneck and belt, were around for 70 or more.

4. MrJ

MrJ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

TMP jumpsuits became Enlisted uniforms. Cadet uniforms were jackets with red turtle necks.

5. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Absolutely, I'm in that school of thought which counts both variants as basically the same uniform. Despite the obvious (but subtle) visual differences between them, the TNG uniforms from seasons 1/2 and the ones from season 3-7 are effectively the same design. Alteration of the collar and shoulders and seperation to being a two-piece does not a brand new uniform make, IMO. :)

6. KarmicCurse

KarmicCurse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Nicely done Neoworx. Did you use Photoshop? If so, which tools?

I think the uniforms look really nice like this! Maybe better with a black collar as someone suggested.

7. neoworx

neoworx Lieutenant Red Shirt

Thanks, yes I did these in Photoshop (using too many techniques to explain here – sorry).

I reiterate that I think the WOK maroons are perfect just the way they are, but I thought it would be interesting to look at some variations. I think the black collar is too foreboding-looking (a bit fascistic, I think). I recolored the rank strap as well.

[​IMG]

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I like the department color look but I think they look better with the collar and fastener being left white. :techman:

9. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had a little fun of my own. :)

[​IMG]

10. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Literally the best thing ever.

Also check out these toys.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. neoworx

Great job! I hate it (the look, not your work) as it makes things look too cartoony, IMO. I think the original style was the right thing to go with and I'm glad they did it. The unified "maroon look" across all crew members (officers and enlisted) gave a cohesiveness that the 3-color approach would have lacked as demonstrated in this pic.

12. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

Ditto. At first from the Photoshoping you did of the uniforms by themselves I thought it might look good. But I just knew seeing the uniforms standalone versus on a person and placed in a scene of the movie was another matter. And sure enough, it just doesn't look all that great when put into a real shot of the movie.

To make the colored uniforms work the entire set would have to be relit to be brighter, etc. The three color versions of the uniforms might look fine, for example, in the revamped/brightened version of the movie-era bridge as seen at the end of TVH.

13. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love the concept, but that shade of gold doesn't work for me, it looks like split-pea soup or something. The blue looks awesome though!

14. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

^Yeah, the gold should be more... gold... :alienblush:

15. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Brighten the set, make the gold uniform more gold, and make all of the collars and stripes white, then we're talking.

16. neoworx

Still not a fan. I'll stick to the original. Make mine maroon!

[​IMG]

17. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

That works much better. Now I like the gold. :)

18. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Much better!

19. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, keep in ind that the original "gold" was really more of an avocado color and just came across as gold on screen so I was going for somewhere more in the middle.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

That is awesome! :techman:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.