What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Snowlilly, Aug 21, 2012.

1. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Read Dragon Killer yesterday, a very good indie fantasy book that's quite short but it packs a lot in. My review is here.

2. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

The new James Bowen book - The World According To Bob.

3. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I couldn't resist the Songs of Fire and Ice. I'm reading A Feast for Crows, I know I weak.

4. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    A chapter of the 1964 Warren Report on the assassination of President Kennedy. I'm a history buff and I've always been fascinated in the extreme by the JFK assassination and have probably devoured most of the books on the subject dating back to the first ones that were written in the aftermath of the murder in the mid-to-late '60s.

5. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

same here. have you read Case Closed by Gerald Posner? i found it to be one of the best books on the subject.

6. cooleddie74

Sure have. Posner also wrote a volume on the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. (around the time of the thirtieth anniversary) that is just as hard-hitting in its deconstruction of the evidence related to the Memphis killing as his Kennedy book was about the known facts surrounding Oswald and the shootings of the President, Governor Connally and Officer Tippit.

7. Saga

ah, wasn't aware of that. i'll have to try and track down a copy of it.

8. cooleddie74

I believe the title is Killing the Dream.

9. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Did a review swap with an author for a book called Rise of the Zyfoids #1: The Plague...not very good.

Onto A Song of Ice and Fire Book 3 Part 1.

10. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I have started The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley. I am not sure if I will like a murder mystery in which the investigator is 11 year old girl (but at least she really enjoys science).

11. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    Norman Mailer - "Oswald's Tale". I finished reading Stephen King's 11/21/63 novel (Stephen King plus time travel equals awesomeness), which peaked my interest in what kind of person Lee Harvey Oswald was. Also, Norman Mailer is awesome.

12. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

After having read The Forge of God it took me a while to continue the saga, but I've just finished Anvil of Stars and found it a much better read --even if it does have a 'bottle-episode' feel to it at times. ;)

Definitely going after more Greg Bear after this -I just wouldn't know which novels to pick up...

13. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

61 hours(a jack reacher)by lee childs.

14. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Harvest Of Time by Alastair Reynolds, the first Doctor Who novel I've read since the Eighties (Edit: bar one that whas given away with a magazine and that I didn't do much more than skim through). The words just fly by with this one. It's not too taxing on the brain, a bona fide summer read. It seems to capture the Jon Pertwee era of the show quite well, and feels like nothing if not Reynolds' take on Terrance Dicks' old Target novelisations.

Prior to that was GK Chesterton's The Man Who Was Thursday. This short novel from 1908 is a spy caper with a high farce quotient and is laugh-out-old funny in places. Other than its somewhat quaint worldview, it feels modern enough, if somewhat surreal; the last lap goes a bit Steed-and-Mrs-Peel.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  15. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Read most of Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination last night - and the few pages at the end, I coulden't keep myself awake enough to read during the night, I just finished with my coffee this fine morning...

Despite some, almost childish, comments on things like big business, crime & punishment, religion and women it has a quite contemporary 'feel' to it and I wouldn't hesitate recommending it to any lover of 'hard' SciFi.

ETA:
    Most reviewers have suggested that Kevin J. Anderson's Hidden Empire is a pageturner --so I started reading that.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  16. cooleddie74

Just started rereading Case Closed: Lee Harvey Oswald and the Assassination of JFK by Gerald Posner, written and published in 1993. Whether you're a believer in the lone gunman conclusion or one or more conspiracy theories concerning the assassination it's a well-crafted and engrossing read.

17. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders by Neil Gaiman

18. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Silken Prey, John Sandford.

Montaro Caine, Sidney Poitier. Yes, that Sidney Poitier. It's his first novel, and it's pretty good. I didn't understand until a ways into it why it was classified as sci-fi, but it really is!

19. Saga

just finished The Cuban Missile Crisis in American Memory: Myths versus Reality by Sheldon Stern. currently reading Who Was Dracula? Bram Stoker's Trail of Blood by Jim Steinmeyer.

20. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Sidney Poitier has written an SF novel? I'll have to check that out.