STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the scene is truthful in a way that most of the movie is not. It's not necessarily flattering to him, but that's why it stands out.

Basically it exposes a part of the character's personality you might not otherwise see.

2. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

Thank you!

This is the one "film" that I refuse to purchase. When friends ask me about the missing number V in my collection, I reply that no fifth movie exists in my reality. The thought of using any of the material from this material makes me shudder!

I happily accept Star Trek Into Darkness as a movie. I hold a tiny (and constantly diminishing) hope for a new series some day, but until that series arrives I appreciate the Star Trek that I have.

3. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I am a big fan of star trek and have watched very episode of original series, next generation, ds9, and all the feature films. With that being said I loved it. Without a doubt this movie is now my favorite star trek movie ( sorry wrath of kahn) my family loved it and parts such as the kahn scream which I was holding my breath for didn't seem that bad. in fact the scream only lasted 2 seconds before the cut to another scene so I dont see the big deal. The only part I didnot like was that the villain is khan but I think it worked out good in the end. Also the Kirk death scene was not a copy of the original they added plenty of new dialog and there was only 3 short lines they copied. Lastly the audience greatly enjoyed it and laughed at all the funny parts.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Shandee my review of V as patched together from my fangirling. I post it here to try and convert you :D

I thought it was pretty exciting, great pace, very camp in parts but it felt like TRIBUTE CAMP, the camp of love.

The Kirk, Spock, McCoy bonding was intense. In a good way. McCoy's line, "I liked him better when he was dead." has me :lol: every time. BEST Big Three scenes in all the movies.

It has a GREAT opening sequence. I think the whole movie is one big bag of excellent candy. Eye candy, mind candy, laugh candy, heart candy.. and it's a mystery to me why so many think it terrible.

5. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep. I love STV too.

6. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Not so! I offer: Naked dancing Uhura ... ft. Zoe Seldana.

:drool:

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because V is a terrible movie.

8. Shanndee

:guffaw:

Nice try Teacake!, but I'm afraid in this case I am not convertible (and that is probably a good thing...I'd look silly as a car!)

9. teacake

But what if I get you drunk? We can sing row row row your boat!

10. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've certainly heard that many times from fans. I've never really connected with it that way, but quite a few people do.

11. Shanndee

"gently down the stream..."

Hey, its your dime!

12. teacake

I will pay you to like it.

13. section9

section9 Commander Red Shirt

Yes, just what the Trek Franchise needs: CumberKhan, NuKirk and NuSpock stuck in a shuttle in Klingon space singing "Row, Row, Row Your Boat..."

Torches and Pitchforks time, ladies and gentlemen....

14. teacake

To put the marshmelons on?

15. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

^ Why? Because they're there.

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh! Oh! Oh!

I know why fans like Star Trek V.

Because they need their pain!

:devil:

17. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

B+

Slice of Fried Gold

18. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Saw the movie for a third time, hehe

I really wanted Kirk to say "Second Star to the Right..." at the end, or "Thata way"

19. gornsky

gornsky Lieutenant Red Shirt

Just wanted to say that while I had a much more positive reaction to the movie (probably, because it gets better on repeated viewings) I thoroughly enjoyed your detailed and thoughtful review.

I think this is probably where I diverge from many other fans. I'm not sure why, but I never expected this Khan to be a carryover from the original. I expected it to be a reinterpretation, the same as all the other characters.

So once BC was announced as the villain (whom I assumed could very well turn out to be Khan) I was just fascinated to see what he would do with it. What he gave us was, as you say, a mesmerising, reptilian, contained performance. I loved how everything he did had such economy -- of speech, of movement. While Montalban's Khan was expansive and exaggerated and larger than life, Cumberbatch's Khan was just... still. Like a snake under a rock...coiled and ready to strike. Truly, I enjoyed both performances and have no issue with "whitewashing" or whatever other disappointments are consuming fandom.

I will concede that this Khan didn't need to be Khan. He could have been any other superhuman character with a grudge. But the Khan aspect seems to have been driven by the need to hook an audience's interest and expectation. Movies, unlike TV episodes, are often sold to the GP based on their similarity to something else that the potential audience can identify with. In this, Khan did his job before Cumberbatch ever walked into a scene, by cranking up the hype ahead of the film. I accept the commercial reality of that choice.

I actually thought this was an extraordinarily well-paced movie. It was densely-packed with character and action sequences, and we didn't rest for long before heading off again, but I was surprised at how consistently engrossing it was.

But if you listen, it's not Khan's technology Marcus wants to exploit, it's his intellect combined with his savagery. Marcus thinks this kind of strategic aggression has effectively been bred right out of Starfleet. He's concerned about the active aggressions of the Klingons and thinks the Federation can only counter with benign diplomats and ships of exploration. He's after a warrior brain.

Even so, it beggers belief that Khan could come up to speed with modern technology enough to be useful -- but that was an attribute posited in "Space Seed". Khan awoke from sleep, ran through the Enterprise's computer banks in a day and then knew enough to take over the entire ship. Imagine what he could do in 365 days.

Completely agreed with all your other insights, especially the character notes that were "fixed" from the '09 outing and the fact that these actors/characters are really starting to forge their own destiny and are growing to be a fitting (and endearing) echo of their original counterparts. And because I think I am primarily a fan of Star Trek because of the characters, overlaid with a positive future and the mythical "hero's journey", I think that's why I came away so satisfied.

20. Lowdarzz

Lowdarzz Captain Captain

I saw Star Trek Into Darkness yesterday and while it was a better effort than ST09, it was still a retread of old ground and didn't hold my attention for long once it ended. A film I think is particularly good will stay in my conscious thoughts for a time but the moment I left the theater my mind was elsewhere.

Pine gave a better performance this time around. Kudos to Cumberbatch for his performance as well but I found Montalban's more memorable. Of course that could just be the nostalgia factor kicking in. There was nothing truely noteworthy about the performances of any of the other members of the cast. Urban was still spot on but his McCoy got nothing to do but make quips and test the Khan blood macguffin that the audience already knew would work.

The cutting and pasting of scenes from Wrath of Khan took me out of the film completely. Honesty it felt like Harve Bennett, Jack Sowards and Nick Meyer should've gotten some sort of screen credit. Additionally, Pine's Kirk and Quinto's Spock have known each other for less than a year in this continuity and that made it impossible for me to believe in thier emotional goodbye. Kirk and Spock knew each other for over twenty years in TWOK. I buy it there.

While not a great film, it certainly wasn't terrible. The story was standard, the effects were standard, the pacing was standard for a summer movie. I'll give it a C.