MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Now fans are getting HURT. The umps better stop this shit now.

Edit: ...And Bourn strikes out with the bases loaded. :guffaw:

Look, I don't mean to offend the Braves fans here on this board, 'cuz I'm guessing you're not at the game right now. But those jackasses in the stadium should be ashamed of themselves. They're damn lucky the umps didn't call a forfeit.

The call probably was bad. But I don't fucking care. Nothing justifies a riot like this.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  2. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I watched the play several times, I can't fathom how that was an Infield Fly when it was halfway out into the outfield. It was a fly ball to the outfield, the outfielder should have caught it. I could understand a few steps into the outfield being an Infield Fly Rule, but not that.

3. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

It wasn't a riot. Just tons of debris for 45 minutes from thousands of fans. Nobody got violent as far as I know. MLB denied a protest and called it a judgment call. What a load of crap.

Oh, and I how the Yankees get swept.

4. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Careful. People might start to think Yankees fans are insufferable with talk like that. We wouldn't want that would we.

Look, I'm not really in favor of the behavior of the people throwing things in Atlanta but to sit here like a haughty moralist and pretend like this is the only city and fanbase that could possibly act like this is laughable. Could you imagine if this would have happened in these same circumstances in Philadelphia or even...gasp...New York!

After watching the Braves play to an empty house for the last few years it was strange to see the fans actually, ya know...give a shit.

5. Starbreaker

Because umps have control over 55,000 racist, drunk rednecks from below the Mason-Dixon line

6. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Bizarre call, ugly reaction. The I spent $100 on a playoff ticket plus a dozen beers mentality can make a guy do just about anything.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  7. Starbreaker

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuuCD5IWchs[/yt]

Pretty much this. Ugly game all around.

8. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Joe Saunders won, and Nate McLouth had 2 RBI in, a Major League Baseball playoff game in the year of our Lord 2012.

I'm still trying to figure out if I'm hallucinating.

9. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, it has to be a judgment call. It's not the umps doing something clearly unauthorized (which is the only time a protest succeeds), in this case, it's a misinterpretation of the effect of the rule. If a strike is low, you can't say "how can you call that a strike, it wasn't above the knees. The umpires don't have the authority to call something a strike that is below the knees." It may be the wrong call, but it's still a judgment call.

Anyway, I think the Braves fans were justified in being upset. However, you know that there would be universal criticism if these were Philly fans.

10. Starbreaker

1998. McGuire is ejected by Sam Holbrook and Cardinals fans litter the field in St. Louis during a game against the Atlanta Braves. :lol:

Link

11. Mr. Laser Beam

I disagree. There are certain teams whose fans are almost expected to act like this. Phillies, Yankees, Raiders, that type of thing. If those teams' fans decided to start some shit, I doubt anyone would be surprised. More like, "Oh there they go again."

But who ever thought that Braves fans would do this? They're not supposed to act that way. Neither were Cardinals fans. You'd no more expect them to throw trash on the field than you'd expect to see a mosh pit at a Celine Dion concert...

That being said: Sam Holbrook really has a short fuse. Didn't he once eject Zach Greinke after like 4 pitches, just because Greinke spiked a ball nowhere near anyone else? :lol:

12. SmoothieX

Bases loaded and 1 out with the fans in a frenzy isn't the worst spot you could be in. I don't think the play necessarily changed the outcome of the game, but definitely changed the course of the game. That's the sucky part.

Worst call since...oh wait, Monday of last week.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

There's a rumor that the Cardinals were chanting "Infield Fly!" in their dugout after the game, but it wasn't that, it was "Happy Flight" which is a common expression.

14. Timby

Adam Rubin points out, accurately, that the Mets are going to be dumping payroll if Alderson intends to keep to his $100 million baseline.

Fuck it, Theo. Trade Castro for Wright and Garza for Upton, and I'll call this offseason a win.

15. SmoothieX

$50M combined between Santana and Bay?!?!? No way they are unloading that...OK, I've already written off next year.

16. Timby

After the way Alderson treated Reyes last fall (I don't think it can be repeated enough that Reyes told the Mets that he was willing to take a below-market-value deal but they never offered him a formal contract), God only knows what will happen in this case.

17. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

I was an umpire (softball, but the rule's the same) for seven years and there's no way I'd call an infield fly on that play.

That's a problem with the one game playoff- one bad call can have such huge ramifications.

18. SmoothieX

It's a team with financial uncertainty that is years away from competing, and coming off a really good year that will improve his marketability, I wouldn't blame him if he left for greener pastures.

19. Starbreaker

Double post...

20. Starbreaker

These wild card games were huge in the ratings. They're not going anywhere