THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Skywalker, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, yes and no. Take it very literal, and it's only a few pages compared to the books. But the amount of story in there, can lead to long dialogue and visuals. So you could certainly find enough material to make a third movie.

And I'll admit, it would be cool to see some of it on the big screen. The story of Aragorn past, and the story of Aragorn and Arwin can make for a very entertaining film I suppose.

But I'm kinda Middle Earthed out here. We wanted to do a marathon with a few people a few days ago, all three Extended Editions. After The Two Towers, we were all kinda done really. And yes, the movies are still great, they haven't aged at all. But still, in total we're going to have a lot of Middle Earth after the two Hobbit movies. I'd like to see Peter Jackson do something else for a change.
    He's a very visual-minded director, and likes to tell stories and convey emotions with beautifull images. Sometimes that work, sometimes it doesn't. Look at George Lucas and Star Wars (mostly the prequels). Some thing, George tells stories through pretty images. Thing is, his stories are very basic really, so pretty images can only take you so far. With the right story (in this case LOTR) PJ did some great work. The charge of the Rohirrim in ROTK still get's me every time.
    So I'd love to see something else by PJ, perhaps something completely by his own hands, or perhaps another remake, this time with a studio behind him that knows how to reel him in every now and then when it comes to how long the movie's going to be.

2. Rulius

Rulius Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well if they can get 3 movies out of the Hobbit, how many can they get out of the Silmarillion?

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

None, since the Tolkien Estate isn't budging on the film rights.

4. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Capitalism will prevail.

Once upon a time there wasn't gonna be a Hobbit film.

5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

That was only because of smaller issues. New Line always had the rights to film The Hobbit but they won't be able to film The Silmarillion as long as Christopher Tolkien is alive.

6. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

Well, they can make it in 2043, after the copyright runs out. ;)

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Not to put too fine a point on it, but isn't Christopher Tolkien in his late 80s...?

Regardless, I REALLY don't see 'The Silmarillion' as being a particularly viable candidate for a cinematic adaptation. It'd be like adapting the entirety of the Old Testament. Most of it's pretty dry and what little drama there is is really only sketched out. Reading that book requires a *lot* of imagination.

I've said this several times before (probably in this very thread at some point) but I maintain that (rights issues aside) the best way to adapt any significant portion of 'The Silmarillion' would be in the form of an anthology of animated short in the vein of 'The Animatrix' or 'Gotham Knight' with different studios/art styles for the different tales.

8. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I agree filming it in its entirety is too much, but there are definitely some interesting stories to be told, particularly Feanor.

9. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

What's Tolkein's issue with Jackson? I saw another thing somewhere that said the Tolkein estate hated the LOTR movies. I honestly, thought this was rather surprising, because I think they were probably the closest we'd ever be able to get on film. It's not like they made any huge changes drastic changes or anything. At least not any more than what most book adaptations do.

11. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

^ The simple and unvarnished truth is that Christopher Tolkien appears to have an enormous stick up his butt. Kudos to him for what involvement he had with The Children Of Húrin, though; that was a classic work of fiction.

12. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It seems that Christopher Tolkien shares his father's view that faithfully transferring the story to film is simply impossible. JRR Tolkien only sold the movie rights because he needed the money.

13. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Books and Film are two different media in which to tell a story and I am surprised that some people have expectations that a film will be just like the book. They are just setting themselves up for disappointment in my opinion. I think it is possible to venture too far from the spirit of a book but for the most part a film will be a different interpretation of a story.

14. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The problem lies with the word "faithfully". What is faithful? Word for word, scene for scene? Or a film that transports the meanings and themes? I'd say that Jackson's Lord of the Rings did a really good job at this.

15. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Some old farts just don't like movies. It's their right.

16. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

After The Hobbit, I hope Peter Jackson tackles The Catcher in the Rye as a trilogy of three interconnected 3-hour films in smell-o-vision, with Andy Serkis playing Holden Caulfield as a CGI puppet.

17. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

And they'd be wrong.

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, I'm certainly intrigued.

20. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Conanesque swordplay and The Frighteners ghosts alone are two reasons for the Tolkien family to dislike the Jackson movies. The omission of the Old Forest and Tom Bombadil could reasonably offend someone with an emotional investment in the book, the whole book and nothing but the book. Jackson did remarkably well in adapting The Lord of the Rings, a novel that proves rules about good writing can be broken to good effect. But these were childhood stories for Christopher Tolkien. Nostalgia is a powerful set of lenses.