Your latest purchases, cont.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Goliath, Oct 20, 2010.

1. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Love the dress, kira's mom, very feminine and pretty!

2. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

Today the post bought me these two

[​IMG]

Sooty and Little Cousin Scampi.

The original Sooty is 63 years old - that is several years older than me - which means I have been watching the Sooty Show in various forms all my life.

Scampi is a much newer cast member and is a very naughty bear.

I still have to buy myself a Sweep and a Soo.

3. SPOCKED

SPOCKED Admiral Premium Member

I laid down the weedblock yesterday for the picnic table area and we're hoping to get the stone delivered for this weekend. Pics to follow :)

I expect to spend the day, trekkiedane - so, YES, to all the above :D

4. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I've been on a girly kick lately. Lots of florals, pinks, lace. I also just got a pink tee with lace and gold sequins. Somehow it works for me! :lol:

5. T'Preea

T'Preea Commander Red Shirt

I bought a Doctor Who book called Hunter's Moon. Haven't started reading yet, because I can read those in a day; but I have to work and I wanted to get my foruming done instead. *lol*

6. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I love it! Totally fun and funky. Would look absolutely hideous on me, though!

7. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Two STAR WARS figures I didn't previously have along with some soda and snacks.

8. Lumi

Lumi Captain Captain

Chocolate covered raisins, a bottle of water and a ticket to American Reunion.

Not the type of film I would normally pay to see, but... it made for a fun, immature girls' night out. :D

9. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Tickets to see "West Side Story", in Toronto, in May.

10. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

An e-subscription to the New York Times. (And cancelled the one to the Baltimore Sun.)

11. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

one of these bad boys...

[​IMG]

256gb SSD... bit of a sacrifice on space for speed, but since installing it, i can say it's definitely worth it...

boot time is around 7 seconds now from pressing the power button to windows fully running... installation and program running is a dream... copying files generally runs at about 4 to 5gbps... could probably push that to 6 with some custom bios tweaks, but i'm happy with it as it is :)

M

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

2011 World Series Game 6 on blu-ray

John Denver's Greatest Country Hits from iTunes

Breakfast

13. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I got more books in the mail today. My mailman is probably cussing me out these days with all the packages I've been receiving. :D

14. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

After class tonight I expect to pick up my pre-order of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition (Dark Edition) for Xbox 360. The virtual end of the semester for me is next Thursday (all my major remaining projects are due that day), so I won't have time to play it until then but I'm very much looking forward to it.

Back in August, I replaced my aging MacBook with a MacBook Air. I've been constantly surprised at how quickly the SSD performs, and I've been strongly considering the possibility of swapping my desktop computer over to an SSD too.

15. Methos

i'd say go for it...

the one thing i have noticed that i didn't expect, was a significant temperature drop... I didn't see that one coming, but the inside of my PC is now running about 8c cooler than previously... very interesting considering i've still got 5 x 2TB standard drives in there...

M

16. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

I um'ed and ah'ed abut getting an SSD when I got a new laptop last year. In the end I opted against, partly because I read some reviews suggesting that while failure was rare, if it happened, it goes completely wrong, making it harder to retrieve data from an SSD than a normal HD.

No idea if this is true or not (not a techy person), but anyway, I stuck with the older & cheaper tech. Time will tell if that was the right decision or not, I guess. :D

Oh yes, purchases: new rear rubber for the car. Man, it makes a difference... :)

17. Methos

i was on the fence with the details about failure as well... since they're still quite new technology wise, there isn't enough data to accurately say if they're more prone to irretrievable data loss or not... it's something that is going to be figured out in time...

If you're like me, and use a LOT of data, you could do what i've done... use the SSD for Windows, Program files and stuff like that... so you get the massive speed benefits from the SSD, and then keep your other hard drives on the same system for the rest of your data... i automatically have a partition set up that exactly mirrors the SSD, so any changes i make to the SSD are automatically mirrored to the mirror partition every night... bit of an arse-about-face way of doing it, but that way i know if the fit hits the shan, then i've got an uptodate backup of my system and can just restore it to within 24 hours of the crash happening :)

M

18. Holdfast

^ that's a clever way to keep everything back-upped.

More importantly, your current av... :adore:

19. Methos

yeah, i've gone through a few HDD's in my time, and raid ghosting is by far the best way i've found of keeping secure backups... another option would be to have a network drive and daily ghost it, but it wouldn't be as fast as a raid ghost system...

and thanks... yup, i'm a Romana lover too lol

M

20. Holdfast

:techman:

You know, she's married to Dawkins. That's almost proof enough to make you think he's right about there being no God... :D