New podcast devoted to Trek lit

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Nick M, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Nick M

Nick M Lieutenant Red Shirt

The rabbit hole of hell that is my psyche
    Jolan Tru,

I have an update for you...

I am very proud to announce a new website for The G and T Show! We will have show updates, information and all the good stuff you would need for your G and T Show fix. :)
    We are still working the iTunes issue, again, I beg your indulgence as our "real jobs" and other everyday things limit the time to work these issues.

Also, the episodes on the web page are listed as Epsides 2 and 3...that is a typo, it is actually Episodes 3 and 4. So the two-parter you see listed is last week's (Episode 4) where we discuss my Shore Leave experience.

The website for our show is: http://www.gandtshow.com/

Thanks all, I will update when we have the iTunes/MP3 issue done.

All the best,
    Nick

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  2. Nick M

G and T Show NOW on iTunes!!!

Jolan Tru!

Well, big news!!! We are on iTunes!!! SO far only episodes 3 and 4 are up (and they are mislabeled, ep. 2 is ep 3 and ep. 3 is ep. 4 LOL) for you to download!

If you search for G and T Show and then look at the podcasts you will find it. I hope you enjoy and will subscribe!!!

Thank you all for the support and look forward to you joining us for for a future shows!!!

All the best,
    Nick

3. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: G and T Show NOW on iTunes!!!

This is great! I didn't realize that you also had the entire BBJ panel on the website.

I wished they'd been better about repeating questions from the audience, but that's not an issue with you guys, that's just a con/panel nitpick in general.

Looking forward to the other panels after I finish these.

4. Nick M

Thank you! We will be putting the Star Trek Vanguard panel audio up soon as well. We also will be airing, I believe the Aug. 7 episode, my one-on-one interview with Kirsten Beyer. She is a facinating (no pun intended) and really wonderful lady.

I do apologize about the questions being hard to hear, I recorded this with my digital recorder. As I save money I will invest in other equipment so when I go to conventions and such you will get far better quality.

Thanks for listening, and help spread the G and T Show virus to your friends! :)

5. Technobuilder

I knew of Kirsten Beyer from Full Circle and Unworthy, but I didn't really have any idea how great she was till I heard her on another podcast a few months back.

She was engaging to listen to and so personable. Better than the host in many ways.

Glad to know there's another interview with her to look forward to. She's got a great voice for these sorts of things.

6. KQuita

KQuita Lieutenant Red Shirt

Thank you so much. I look forward to checking them out:klingon:

7. Technobuilder

Okay. Just starting G&T Show Podcast #5 and I have to say... You guys have really stepped up your game since your first show. The MP3 audio links were a welcome addition and I think the friendship between both you and Teri comes through really well "on air". Nice to have a Trek Lit (mostly) themed show to tune into.

Does Teri post on the TrekBBS?

Please keep us updated.

Thanks.

8. Nick M

Jolan Tru,

technobuilder, thank you for those comments. Yes, we try to stick totally to Trek lit, but ocassionaly we do discuss other thngs, but I think we keep the light pretty bright on Trek writing. :)

Teri does not post here.

Thanks again so much. Spread the G and T Show virus!!!! :techman:

All the best,
    Nick

9. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

Yeah thanks for makig this really working.

10. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'll listen when the mp3s are up. Looking forward to it. :)

11. Nick M

Jolan Tru all,

Episode 6 of The G and T Show is up on http://www.gandtshow.com for your listening enjoyment, and also to download.

We had "Ferengi Week" where we discussed how the Ferengi were so poorly introduced, how they were written and what we also liked about them. We also discussed the great news coming out about “Gene’s Journal” and “Trek Nation.”

And for those who listen, Week 7 is going to be one where we tackle a controversial subject, it's "Sisko Week" on The G and T Show! (Ok, so I am excited about Shark Week and we are having some fun with it! :lol:)

We will be discussing the writing of the character of Ben Sisko, his relationship with Jake and reviewing one of the most controversial episodes in Trek history, discussing if (as written) he is a war criminal and the writing of "What You Leave Behind" and a major disagreement we have about that episode.

So if you can, tune in live (9 am EST/6 am PST/2 pm England/3 pm Europe) at http://www.livestream.com/cerberusfilms for the show!

Thanks to all for your support, and hope those that can't listen live will go to our website and download, or on iTunes you can subscribe to G and T Show for download there!

Have a great day!

12. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

It would be nice if you guys would write under or above the podcast what is going to be about.

Like this:
    http://www.solosound.net/eu-review/3065/

The EU Review is EUCantina.net’s third home-grown podcast. Produced by Solo Sound productions, the monthly show is hosted by Expanded Universe gurus Nathan P. Butler (creator of Star Wars Timeline Gold and Star Wars Fanworks) and Andrew Lupi (founder of EUCantina), along with new commentator Kelly Adams (writer for Big Shiny Robot). In each episode, the trio tackle the month’s offering in expanded universe materials, from books to games, with a witty and fun approach. Honesty runs rampant on the show, as Butler, Lupi, and Adams help listeners decide if that item is worth their time and money.
    Shownotes:
    Introduction to new show format.
    Reviews for:
    Knight Errant: Aflame
    Han Solo and the Hollow Moon of Khorya
    Princess Leia and the Royal Ransom
    The Will of Darth Vader
    Boba Fett and the Ship of Fear
    At War with the Empire Omnibus, Vol. 1
    Star Wars Galaxies: Ruins of Dantooine (retro review)
    Star Wars Ebooks and General Ebooks FAQ
    Self-Promotion Redux (prompted by mailbag letter)
    WARS saga background (prompted by mailbag letter)
    Star Wars: Solitude fan audio drama (after end credits)

13. Technobuilder

Yeah, you also might try to put any links mentioned during the podcast into the show notes so those who weren't in the live chat can follow along at home.

14. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

15. Nick M

Jolan Tru,

Thanks for all the suggestions, and they are good. We will try to incorporate the ideas. Remember, tomorrow is Sisko Week! Hope to hear your thoughts after the show!

All the best!

16. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Listened to the show (missed about a quarter of an hour in the middle), and while I really enjoy listening to it, I feel that it has pretty much moved away from TrekLit over the last few episodes, especially for a podcast originally meant to be devoted to TrekLit.

There were several easy openings to incorporate the novels (the FBTS novelization, which added a lot to an already great episode when talking about Benny Russel / Sisko's problem with Vic's holobar, or Hollow Men which was a bit of a follow up for Pale Moonlight etc.) into the discussion here and none of them were used. But the big :vulcan: moment for me in that regard was when you mentioned Rough Beasts and then pretty much just said we won't talk about it, because too few people have read it.

As I said I like to listen to the show, and I know there will be more TrekLitish episodes coming up (the Declassified episode in three weeks etc.), but that was just something I had to get out of the system I guess. :)

17. psikeyhackr

psikeyhackr Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I tried listening to two podcasts.

I don't want to hear about what books they intend to read or about what Star Trek memorabilia they do or do not have. Though the Sulu Sunday was funny.

But it is a YAWN or maybe not, just a yawn.

psik

18. Technobuilder

I like the discussions thus far, BUT I will say, you might want to start reading all the significant stories for any particular topic you're going to be discussing.

Ferengi Week, only included a discussion of moments from the TV series. Figured we'd get some tales of Ferengi and from the books.

Any who, I'm about to listen to Episode 7.

Thanks.

19. Nick M

Jolan Tru,

Teri and I discussed about the last two weeks, and how we had theme weeks, and we already discussed getting back on track with the actual novels.

Next week I have military obligations, so my interview with Kirsten Beyer will air, as well as the panel she did at Shore Leave, so it will be centered around the Voyager novels, and the week following we will be live at the Star Trek convention in Las Vegas. I have to be honest, that show may be very interesting just for the fact we are going on at 6 am...and on the last day of the Khan.

But we have discussed your criticisms before I saw this, and it is something we noticed.

I am sorry psikeyhackr that you don't care for the show, but no show will appeal to everyone, and I understand that. I do hope you will give us time to grow and keep listening. I can tell you these seven episodes are the first seven podcasts I have ever done, so it is a learning curve for me.

Defcon, I understand regarding RBOE - but it is funny, I am getting emails from people asking for us to hold on some of the novels from the last few months as they are just reading them, so it is a fine line we try to walk sometimes. Now some :rolleyes: at that, but we have had a least a dozen people tell us they are just now buying Trek novels because they heard our show and it has caused them to seek some out and get an interest in them. So it becomes a case of "how long do we wait?" to discuss some of these books. Maybe some are shrugging at that, but the mere fact these people are getting the books now from our conversations is, to me, a huge plus and I don't want to ruin it for them. But when we discuss Star Trek Vanguard - Declassified, I think you will see us get more book heavy again.

Well, for those that keep listening, enjoy! I do look to see what you are saying (even though I was warned by an actor to "for the love of God stay away from message boards, they will kill you! :lol:) because I really do believe we get better that way.

All the best.

20. Nick M

Jolan Tru,

Hwllo all. Sorry I have been away...but Episode 9 of The G and T Show is up at http://www.gandtshow.com - this week I will admit it is not about Trek lit, but our on-site broadcast from the Star Trek Las Vegas convention. (That's why so late posting, I'm still recovering!)

Hope you give it a listen and enjoy our recap of the first three days of STLV.

This Sunday, Aug. 21, we will be total Trek book discussion, we are reviewing Star Trek Vanguard: Declassified. So please, tune in, and if you can't you can go to our site and download or follow the link on the webpage to our iTunes download.

Hope all are well, see you soon!

Nick

(I hope this romulan Ale wears off soon....that stuff should be illegal!)