Star Trek: Origins – New “Best of TOS” Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by LtChange, Jul 2, 2013.

1. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

From TrekCore:
    http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/07/star-trek-origins-new-best-of-tos-blu-ray-details/

I love this comment:

2. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How can you have Tribbles and not have my namesake? ? Why does The Doomsday Machine never make it into these "best of" compilations when it's generally acknowledged as one of the top five episodes in TOS (if not all Trek series)?

3. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek Begins: Rise of the Star Trek: Origins. 2

4. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

Well it's pretty simple: just look at the episodes, they are basically the introduction of the current rebooted universe: The Cage because of Pike, Where no man is the first Kirk episode, Space Seed because of Khan, Errand of Mercy because of the Klingons and Trouble because of the Tribble in ST:ID. Given the new universe they are logical choices ...

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

These are all logical choices given certain plot and character elements in the new movies. I'm surprised Rod Roddenberry is the one introducing the episodes and not someone related to the Bad Robot films (although, I suppose that could be a symptom of the CBS-Paramount relationship).

6. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

Rod stars in both of the new movies as transporter crew :)

7. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I think you're talking about Chris Doohan, son of James Doohan.

8. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

Right, stupid me. I don't know how did I get that it's Rod. Sorry

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Even though I own the season sets, I was considering this until I heard about Rod Roddenberry being involved.

10. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

"until?"

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]
    I like the use of the nuTrek warp effect on the cover.
    The TOS novel Children of Kings (which took some inspiration from the 2009 movie's version of the Trekverse) did it too.

12. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The cover is very evocative of the Abrams films (in case CBS' attempt to cash in on them wasn't obvious by the episode choices). I'm a little surprised this is coming out in September, though, and not to coincide with the release date of the movie (or its home video release, unless that's already been announced?).

13. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

I would imagine CBS is trying to time the release to not directly step on the toes (and/or get lost in the shadow) of Paramount's home video release of STID, (which is rumored to be the next month, October). It also happens to be fit with CBS's own releases, where TNG S4 comes out this month, and ENT S2 comes out in Aug.

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

“Star Trek Into Darkness” is arriving on Blu-ray and DVD in September:
    http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movi...kness-will-get-september-blu-ray-dvd-release/

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Well, that explains it. For some reason I thought I had read November, but searching now all I can find is the September date. Thanks for the correction!

16. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

November was the initially expected date. The typical home video release window is 6 months after theatrical release. So that would have been November. However the home video release window seems to be shrinking, Skyfall was released in only 4 months and now so will Into Darkness.

17. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

wasn't there a fanfilm being made called star trek: origins? they might have to change that

18. PattyW

PattyW Commander Red Shirt

TOS "Origins" Blu-Ray being released 9/10/2013

CBS just announced this... it's the perfect way to introduce your friends to the series that started it all!

[​IMG]
    "Star Trek: The Original Series - Origins" Blu-Ray

Street Date: September 10, 2013

Description: Kirk. Spock. Pike. Khan. Klingons. Tribbles. See where it all started with Star Trek: The Original Series – Origins Blu-ray. This collection showcases the origins episodes of the most significant characters from Star Trek: The Original Series. Introduced by Rod Roddenberry, son of Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry, and starring William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, James Doohan, Nichelle Nichols, George Takei, Walter Koenig and Ricardo Montalban, this value-priced release is an ideal collection for both brand new and lifelong fans of the timeless series.

Episodes: The Cage – This original pilot episode of the epic series introduces fans to the iconic characters Captain Pike and Spock.

Where No Man Has Gone Before – The second pilot episode in which Captain James T. Kirk is first seen at the helm of the Enterprise.

Space Seed – Witness the debut of the unforgettable super villain, Khan.

Errand of Mercy – This thrilling episode introduces the legendary alien race, the Klingons.

The Trouble with Tribbles – This fan-favorite episode includes the arrival of the cute, but catastrophic, creatures.

Specifications: English 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
    English Original Mono, French Mono, German Mono and Japanese Mono
    English SDH, French, German and Japanese Subtitles

Rating: Not Rated

Runtime: Approximately 4 hours, 25 minutes

Suggested
    Retail Price: $26.99 U.S.

Link To Purchase: http://amzn.to/12tGgT0

[​IMG]

19. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

^ I merged the new thread with this existing one rather than delete it.