Star Trek Continues: Episode 3...

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Warped9, May 26, 2014.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I wish they would, but I have to tolerate them anyway.

2. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You'll find "jackwipes" everywhere.

Reasonable people with different values can find common ground somewhere in the middle and don't have to call names and point fingers.

When you see people doing that, it's because they have nothing of value left to say. ;)

3. Amaris

Amaris Guest

You're welcome! :D
    I think a lot of other people feel the same way, too.

Indeed he does. I easily see him as a young Kirk, still brash and defiant. You can tell he'll become a more mature, level headed Captain, but right now he's still more emotion than intellectual, which is perfectly fine, because he's still young and new to the game.

It shows. It really does. I'm not detracting from other productions; they all work hard, but STC really manages to capture not only the look, but the essence of the original series. In short, I'm not thinking to myself, "look at the gum drop button lights, and the 60s color scheme," because I'm too busy being engrossed in the story to notice the small touches, until later when I realize I'm not watching TOS, I'm watching a very faithful adaptation.

TOS made use of stage lighting quite a bit, and STC is no different. I used to love the lighting effects, especially ones like these:

[​IMG]

The lighting tells part of the story, and the crew seems like they've got the lighting down pat.

Agreed. Pine does a terrific job. You can see elements of future Kirk in him, but he's still a bad boy who wants to do good things, and it shows. I can't wait to see how he develops for ST3.

4. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Maurice's quote from Orson Welles is very much on target when it comes to TOS (which was always under tight budget constraints) and those that would emulate it. Lighting is one of the ways to create mood and atmosphere as well as various color schemes in lieu of expensive and time-consuming paint. It's a great example of confronting what appears to be a limitation and creating something better.

5. Dix

Dix Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Pine is not Kirk. Pine is Captain Douche, a moronic version from another universe. Vic Mignogna is Kirk. Pine does a lousy job, bad actor. Vic Mignogna does a great job, good actor.

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Your opinion is obviously longer than his.

7. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

I have been a big fan of the fan productions for quite some time. I've enjoyed STC and ST:PII, as well as many others. My feeling has always been that the FX and sets have improved, but the writing and acting had a ways to go.

Bravo to the folks at STC! Ep 3 was a real triumph in so many ways. I am duly impressed with the technical, as well as the creative, aspects of the production. You are elevating this genre (fan-based Star Trek productions) to a whole new level.

Keep up the great work!

8. Dix

I agree. Now, in his fifties he looks like 30 something, in 10 years he'll look like 40, and in 15-20 years, after they hopefully have completed the 5 year mission (well, let's hope it won't take that long), he'll look like 50. And with a little bit of make up, they can make him look a bit younger again. So, no problem there.

Indeed.

The lighting is amazing. All those details really contribute to the authenticity. And the music cues... ha, ha. Awesome.

9. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

I would admonish everyone to try and stay on track. Admittedly, I can be as bad an offender as anyone else when it comes to deviating from the nominal topic in order to investigate some interesting little tangent for a post or two.

But while some posters are still acrimonious over Chris Pine's portrayal of Captain Kirk all these five years later, it's no longer all that interesting a topic, and there is a forum dedicated to the two newest movies in the Star Trek franchise anyway. Please don't squelch the interesting discussion regarding Star Trek Continues' latest effort by dredging up some unrelated content which already has its own dedicated forum. Please take "Chris Pine's Captain Kirk" discussions and opinions over to those other proper places.

I now return you to your regular board discussion--already in progress.

10. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Nice theory, but irrelevant to the fact that Pine is the official Captain Kirk. Nothing you say will ever change that.

Will do, GSchnitzer. I replied before I saw your post.

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Though the question what makes Captain Kirk Captain Kirk is interesting. And that kinda includes "Why" or "Why Not" Pine is a bad/good Kirk (same for Shatner, Cawley and all other Whatshisfaces).

Who cares about the "official" status? That's extreme nonsense as this is about fan films AND official films. You could kill everything at once saying "None of this is Star Trek since it's not official." "That guy is not the official Spock!" "That is not the official Enterprise!" That is a pointless argument.

12. dougkeenan

dougkeenan Commander Red Shirt

From here

[​IMG]

to here

[​IMG]

she replaces the original button with her remote control thingy.

13. Dix

Official or not, he sucks, and besides, he's Kirk in some bubble universe. Who cares...

I agree. "Pine is Kirk" and similar unrelated nonsense doesn't belong here. I merely commented on his comment. But I wouldn't really want to discuss that here. No.

14. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

^^^Needed to get the last word in anyway, huh?

Vic's fine doing his Kirk shtick. It's good simulacra. Nothing I've seen in him thus far has demonstrated him to be a great actor, however, on the fanfilm acting scale his performance is very high.

15. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I think that's what impresses me so much. I realize that fanfilms are labors of love, and you're going to get a few people who don't act very well, but one lets it slide because the devotion is there and they really are trying, but with Vic, I don't have to let anything slide. He's good at it, and so I can enjoy it without wincing or crossing my fingers.

Plus, you have to start somewhere, and many of these younger actors are working hard to become better, and I always consider that.

I'm trying really hard not to sound condescending, honest. I really do want these people to succeed. That area, though, may be the last true frontier for fan films. Thanks to digital technology, crowdfunding, and so on, the real effort will be to supply each production with quality acting and crew work. A penny ante production can produce 3D starfields and starships, but can a production film like the pros? Can they act like the pros? Can they make it look as genuine as what we get from bigger studios? That's the goal, anyway.

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Shatner is my "Kirk", he always will be. I've been watching him play Kirk for my entire life (I'm 42). Of course, my opinion is biased.

But I like Pine. I think he brings the same energy to the character.

17. Shane Houston

Shane Houston Commander Red Shirt

Lazy? The hell? You're right. I should have stated "I'm right and MOST people (Continues fans) are so desperate for new Trek they'll slap lipstick on a pig and anoint it in the name of the Great Bird Of The Galaxy and call it Star Trek. My bad, but I'm in mourning and my typing is off.

Was that better?

18. Shane Houston

Shane Houston Commander Red Shirt

You're right of course. I apologize.

19. RCAM

RCAM Commander Red Shirt

I'm sorry for your loss.

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

The exact same can be said about what TPTB have peddled for years, particular most recently.

But heaven help anyone who happens to disagree with that and refuses to bow down and kiss some hack's feet...or worse.