Counterpoint

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by teacake, Sep 9, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're right, she certainly didn't sleep with him. I hadn't seen the ep in a while and I blurred the line between wanting to sleep with someone and sleeping with someone. I think she was certainly aware of the chemistry and she was attracted. But yeah, the fascism kind of gets in the way.

The double entendres would have been subtext if played by any other actor, Kate Mulgrew really goes to town with them :lol:

2. Violet.Phoenix

Violet.Phoenix Commander Red Shirt

Oh yeah she does, but it's utterly hilarious! :lol: You know how awesome her interviews always are.

3. teacake

She's hilarious. She is always having a fabulous time and it shows. Shows like that black dress..

4. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Mark Harelik is pretty hot; I enjoy seeing him fairly frequently on Big Bang Theory. He's the Caltech physics department head, Dr. Eric Gablehauser. Sorry if someone said that already, and I missed it...

5. Violet.Phoenix

Funny thing is, I had absolutely no idea that that was Mark Harelik until someone else pointed it out to me. He's pretty hilarious on that show. Shame that Kate Mulgrew hasn't ever been on it; she would be awesome. :D

Imagine if both she and Mark Harelik did an episode of TBBT together? Now that would be epic! :bolian: (Although I haven't seen MH on TBBT since the early seasons).

6. teacake

We should get Mark Harelik on Warehouse 13 with Captain Robau, Janeway, Data and 7 of 9.

7. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe TPTB at TBBT need to have Janeway & Seven show up in Howard's dreams having a "cat fight"? ;)

(Loved the one where Starbuck shows up. :guffaw: )

I remember seeing Mark on a "Wings" episode back in the 90's romancing Helen away from Joey. Its always jarring for me when I see a Baddie show up as a "good guy" elsewhere.

8. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah...Kate should be doing shows like Big Bang Theory! William Shatner was always showing up on stuff; why not. And I was glad to see Warehouse 13 was still a going concern; we started watching that a couple years ago on DVD and got sidetracked -- but we liked it.

9. teacake

For some reason it cracks me up, Warehouse 13. It's silly but it makes fun of itself. And guest stars out the wazoo. Kate's character is a bit dull though.. I wish they would ramp her into a more Kove-esque personality.

10. Violet.Phoenix

You just gave me a brilliant idea...Mark Harelik should guest star on NTSF! :D

11. teacake

OH OH OH OH!!!

That IS a very brilliant idea :D

Let the campaigning begin!

12. Violet.Phoenix

YES.

If that ever happens, Kove should take immediate interest in him, but his character takes interest in that medical chick...much to Kove's dismay.

Naturally, hijinks ensue! :D

13. Alpha Flyer

Alpha Flyer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I am coming to this comically late, but I have a perfect excuse: week from hell, transatlantic travel, jet lag -- cue the violins. (Anything but Mahler.)

So yeah, it was a good episode. I have yet to see why people "ship" Kashyk though. I have encountered people like him in my professional life and believe me, once you've seen them oil their way across the floor the last thing you want to do is touch them. So -- yeah. Ugh.

There's a thing that bothers me about the ep though. Here it is, a week after Janeway tosses Tom Paris in the slammer for 30 days, for offences committed after she tells him she couldn't intervene in the wanton environmental destruction of an entire ecosystem because of the Prime Directive. (And yes, I know he didn't get sent down for violating the PD itself. It is, however, the trigger for the things he DID do.)

So, a week later (or whatever time passes between episodes) and she harbours a bunch of telepaths in blatant interference with the internal working of the Devore Empire. Consistency much??? Sovereign rule? (Another two weeks later, Paris rather cynically reminds her that "remember, you're the Queen..." in "Bride of Chaotica!", no doubt in direct reference to her regal predilection for ignoring the rules she set and cites for others.)

This whole thing bugged me enough I turned it into a story ("At the Bottom of a Glass") so my opinion and what I believe Tom's opinion to be are out there for anyone to see. But what do folks on this thread think? Forgetting about the smarmy inspector -- another instance of Janeway exceptionalism?

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Last week they met a guy who was so anal retentive, that Pete called him "lieutenant Commander Data" which was an episode Brent was floating about in.

15. Alpha Flyer

Alpha Flyer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

emmm -- who are Brent and Pete??

16. teacake

Warehouse 13. And I didn't even think that guy was all that anal retentive which means I'm really a lost cause as to this kind of character. Rodney did this to me.

And Alpha, I think the telepaths were on some freighter and begged her to save them. She had to take them in. They were refugees. But the case on Kamino was different, it was a political debate on Kamino whether something should be done.. of course the problem with this is that we know Janeway has magic science and there were no grey areas, it wasn't really the same as Earth's global warming debates as magic science has no room for being incorrect. Janeway would have had to make her magic science trump their working it out themselves issues and that was on a much greater level of interference than letting some telepaths board her big ship to be safe.

17. Guy Gardener

Pete is a main character, well, the male lead, on Warehouse 13. His mother is played by kate Mulgrew, and his ex-wife is played by Jeri Ryan. Brent Spiner once played Data on Star Trek the Next Generation who was kidnapped by Kivas Fajo, then added to a collection of oddities and trinkets, the actor who brought life to Fajo is now another one of the male leads on Warehouse 13, Pete's immediate superior who is facing off in a battle of wits against against Brent Spiner again who is dressed in black playing a mad monk through out the last few episodes of Warehouse 13.

13 episodes a season, we're half way through season 3.

It's really quite good.

X-Files lite.

Teacake, he alphabetized his robot dolls.

18. teacake

I never saw that. Did they have labels on them or did you just hh.. know all their names and see they were alphabetized?

19. Guy Gardener

Whatever order that had been placed in, was off kilter a skodge after Pete had finished with them.

20. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I'm sorry but this is all I see when I read a Guy/teacake dialogue ;) (meant with affection)
    [​IMG]